Hi everyone,

I have a few questions.

There are fees for the i-130 filing. Is there a fee for the I-129f? I also read about a $165 immigration fee? Any other fees?

When my wife signs her name, does she sign her 'english' name? what if she doesn't know how to sign, but prints her name?

Also, do I turn in the G325a bios, along with visa pictures, our pictures, etc, to both the I-130 and I-129f petitions?

I-130 process is for a CR-1 or IR-1 spouse visa.

I-129F is for a K-1 fiancee visa, or an optional K-3 visa.

The petition fee for a K-1 fiancee visa is $340, there is no additional fee for filing the I-129F for a K-3.

The $165 immigration fee is for the green-card processing after a spouse arrives on a CR-1 or IR-1 visa, it is not paid for by a K-1 or K-3 visa, in order for a K-Visa to get the green-card, they must pay $1080 and file an I-485 to adjust status.

Other fees will be the actual visa fee paid either to NVC if I-130 petition filed in the USA or at the consulate if I-130 petition is filed in China, the fee will be $230 and if petition is filed in the USA, NVC charges an additional $80 to process the I-864 affidavit of support.

Wife signs name however she is comfortable signing things, if prefers Chinese characters, then sign that way. Also technically Chinese names written using western letters is not "english" it is called Pinyin for example Beijing is Pinyin for 北京 Pinyin is Phonetic for Mandarin. If were to write Beijing in English the translation would be North Capital.

Two G-325A forms are attached to I-130, one from petitioner, and the other is from beneficiary. Same for I-129F.

A few points about the K-3 option.

• The K-3 was developed at a time when I-130 processing was taking much longer to process than I-129F for K-1 visas, the K-3 became an option to allow a spouse to come to the USA while waiting for the I-130 to process and be approved.
  • For the past few years now, USCIS has been tying the I-130 to the I-129F and have approving the two petitions together sending both CR-1/IR-1 petition and K-3 petition together at same time to NVC to be then sent to consulate.
  • IF NVC receives the two petitions close together, they close the I-129F (K-3) and continue with the I-130 for a CR-1 or IR-1, the reasoning "Waiting for I-130 approval" no longer exists.
  • I have not seen a K-3 process through to an interview since 2009, and many simply don't bother with filing the I-129F seeing the short processing times for CR-1 and IR-1 spouse visas.
  • Lastly K-3 is not an option if I-130 is filed in Beijing or Guangzhou.

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions.

There are fees for the i-130 filing. Is there a fee for the I-129f? I also read about a $165 immigration fee? Any other fees?

When my wife signs her name, does she sign her 'english' name? what if she doesn't know how to sign, but prints her name?

Also, do I turn in the G325a bios, along with visa pictures, our pictures, etc, to both the I-130 and I-129f petitions?

About the signature - it hasn't been all that long since an illiterate person might sign with an 'X' (well, okay, maybe I really am that old). Your signature is your MARK, and not necessarily in cursive writing. There's a movement these days to NOT teach cursive writing in schools, so it'll be interesting to see what becomes of 'signatures' in the future - perhaps an electronic 'key' instead?

When I was teaching in China, some of the students would watch my writing (on the board) closely - they are taught to form the letters a little differently and more awkwardly than what we do. I never wrote anything in cursive (although I did use some of the flourishes), since I figured they wouldn't be able to read it.

Also, you mentioned "your wife."

If you are already married unfortunately the I-129F process is not available for you - that is only for unmarried couples - a "fiance visa."

If you are already married, you will pursue a spousal visa and file either in the U.S. or here in China - depending on where you currently live.

If you are already married unfortunately the I-129F process is not available for you - that is only for unmarried couples - a "fiance visa."

If you are already married, you will pursue a spousal visa and file either in the U.S. or here in China - depending on where you currently live.

The I-129F is also available for a non-immigrant K-3 spousal visa. As soon as the I-130 is approved by the USCIS, that option is no longer available. The I-129F will be killed as soon as the I-130 catches up with it, as generally happens.

People are generally discouraged from filing the I-129F after filing the I-130, like Dan says, but that IS an option they have available in the event that processing is delayed on the I-130.

There is no charge for filing an I-129F after the P-1 receipt has been received for the I-130.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

The I-129F is also available for a non-immigrant K-3 spousal visa. As soon as the I-130 is approved by the USCIS, that option is no longer available. The I-129F will be killed as soon as the I-130 catches up with it, as generally happens.

People are generally discouraged from filing the I-129F after filing the I-130, like Dan says, but that IS an option they have available in the event that processing is delayed on the I-130.

There is no charge for filing an I-129F after the P-1 receipt has been received for the I-130.

Thanks for clarifying, Randy - on top of everything as always!! :worthy: :worthy:

If a person can not sign their name in cursive or is illiterate a witness must sign their names as a verifier to the mark.

And where did you get that?

I don't write cursive, my signature is mostly block characters. Have you studied a doctor's mark on a prescription?

Chinese signatures for the most part is a script version of Chinese characters.

From the dictionary:

signature:

• the name of a person or a mark or sign representing his name, marked by himself or by an authorized deputy
  • the act of signing one's name
  • or
    • a distinctive mark, characteristic, etc, that identifies a person or thing

More:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/signature