I cannot cut and paste or quote anything in CFL for some reason, but... Read the frequently asked questions. Under completing the affidavit of support it states "do not attempt to submit the form electronically". So, when I submitted the thing via email anyway, I wrote the NVC and told them about the confusion, and that I wanted to do the DS260 electronically. With AOS it directs you to the page to make a choice of which method, so I did both paper by mail and email. I Submitted all DS260 electronic. I have not heard back anything, nor does the NVC web site show that they received anything yet. Just my luck...

I see what you mean:

Completing the Affidavit of Support Forms

Detailed Step-by-Step Instructions are Included on Each Form: Each of the Affidavit of Support forms I-864W, I-864EZ, I-864 and I-864A have step-by-step instructions for completion by the sponsor or joint sponsor. The instructions explain which forms are required and how to properly complete them. It is important to carefully follow the instructions included with each form.

Important Note: Use the information in the Frequently Asked Questions below and other information on this website with, not instead of the detailed instructions on the applicable form(s).

Completing the Forms: Affidavit of Support forms should be completed on a computer, typed in CAPITAL letters. After the form is completed it must be printed and mailed. DO NOT attempt to submit the form electronically.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

I believe You mail in the I-864 so they can file it with USCIS, but this should not affect which process you choose when doing the DS-230 and submitting supporting documents which is the step after submitting the Affidavit of Support.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/submit/how-to-submit-documents-to-the-nvc.html#GroupB

I would suggest that those instructions are erroneous - the I-864 MUST be processed at the consulate before it can be forwarded (along with the entire visa application file) to the USCIS. The I-864 is simply a non-binding piece of paper until the visa (and green card) are awarded.

Others have submitted the I-864 electronically in the past, providing the ORIGINAL hand-signed hardcopy at the time of the interview.

Keep your eyes and ears open on this one.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)