Just an update. It is confirmed, that it takes 30 days for they to opt you in the online processing.

I sent in the opt-in email April 7, 2014. Got a strange reply saying they are "out of office". And then on May 7, 2014, I received the email from NVC confirming the opt-in, and they changed the case # to "GZO".

I then immediately emailed in all the IV supporting documents and the I-864 package. And guess what? I got another "out of office" reply from NVC... They sure are messing up the system there in NVC... But whatever, will see what happens next.

Question: When I emailed the documents, I emailed in the wrong "Document Cover Sheet", i.e. I emailed in the cover sheet with the old "GUZ" number on it. I realize this after I hit the "Send" button. Is that a problem? Everything else, including the email subject title etc all used the correct "GZO" number... hope this won't delay anything... Anyone knows?

Thanks.

It took about 30 C days or 20 W days for NVC to read my emails in the queue. It is fairly consistent give or take a few. In the checklist email, it was specifically stated that EP needs no cover sheets. Read it through. Good luck!

Couple of quick questions regarding the IR5. Now that we did the opt in and got the GZO #, am I correct that the DS260 is the online version of the DS230, and this is also the equivalent of P3?

Does anyone have an estimated time frame of DS260 from submission to interview? One final: once the IR5 is approved, I understand this is essentially a green card. What is the time frame the parent has to enter the US?

Couple of quick questions regarding the IR5. Now that we did the opt in and got the GZO #, am I correct that the DS260 is the online version of the DS230, and this is also the equivalent of P3?

Does anyone have an estimated time frame of DS260 from submission to interview? One final: once the IR5 is approved, I understand this is essentially a green card. What is the time frame the parent has to enter the US?

Yes - you/they MUST submit the online DS-260, instead of the DS-230. The P3 is notification that the case has arrived at Guangzhou. NVC takes its time these days - you'll see in other threads that they seem to take 30 days to do ANYTHING.

When the IR-5 is issued, it has an expiration date of up to 6 months after the Medical exam was administered. The green card (in the form of the I-551 stamp) is not actually issued - they are not actually an LPR - until they enter the U.S.

Related question:

I am looking for some reassurance that I am on the right track or some advice if not.

I summited the AOS with a GUZ# cover sheet via mail in mid April. I have not heard anything back on that yet. Will I get a response and about how long until I should expect something?

I filed DS-260 at the end of April, using the GUZ#.

I emailed the “Request for Electronic Processing” just after filing DS-260 online. I have not yet received any reply, even an auto reply. I see others are getting confirmation about 30 days after submission, but I don’t know if I should be concerned that I did not get an auto reply.

Is this the normal order of things or should I have done the Request for Electronic Processing before the AOS and DS-260 so that I would have a GZO# attached to them?

Related question:

I am looking for some reassurance that I am on the right track or some advice if not.

I summited the AOS with a GUZ# cover sheet via mail in mid April. I have not heard anything back on that yet. Will I get a response and about how long until I should expect something?

I emailed the “Request for Electronic Processing” just after filing DS-260 online. I have not yet received any reply, even an auto reply. I see others are getting confirmation about 30 days after submission, but I don’t know if I should be concerned that I did not get an auto reply.

Is this the normal order of things or should I have done the Request for Electronic Processing before the AOS and DS-260 so that I would have a GZO# attached to them?

It's NOT so much normal, as TYPICAL these days, unfortunately. Par for the course, for now. Hang in there.

Anything submitted to your old GUZ # should be carried over to the new GZO #.

Thanks again for all of the help. I have another question about the supporting documentation. For items like "Marriage Termination Documentation" it says "If you were previously married...". Can this be ignored if there was no previous marriage, or is do they expect a document that proves there was no previous marriage? It is the same situation for the military and adoption certificates.

Then for the photo submission, do we need to submit those electronically or just take the photos in at the interview? If we do submit electronically, should I convert to a pdf like it says for all documents, or just send the jpg? I suspect I am worrying too much about a detail they may not be that particular about, but I don't want to delay it for something small.

Thanks again for all of the help. I have another question about the supporting documentation. For items like "Marriage Termination Documentation" it says "If you were previously married...". Can this be ignored if there was no previous marriage, or is do they expect a document that proves there was no previous marriage? It is the same situation for the military and adoption certificates.

Then for the photo submission, do we need to submit those electronically or just take the photos in at the interview? If we do submit electronically, should I convert to a pdf like it says for all documents, or just send the jpg? I suspect I am worrying too much about a detail they may not be that particular about, but I don't want to delay it for something small.

Yes - do not submit any document that doesn't apply.

Photos may be submitted by scanning them, and including the jpeg in a pdf

AS well as scanning and sending in the photos...make sure you take the real photos and hard copies of everything you scanned and electronically sent in to the interview.

You probably knew that but I'd hate to see you not take them in.

Good luck with the interview.

tsap seui

• 4 weeks later...

Related question:

It took 35 days for me to hear back from NVC. It seems that sending in my AOS by regular mail disqualified me for being able to submit my wife’s supporting documentation electronically. It seems strange to me because I followed the directions in the order they gave them to me. The instructions to send the AOS by mail were given to me before the instructions telling me that I could opt in for electronic submission for the other supporting documents.

Related question:

It took 35 days for me to hear back from NVC. It seems that sending in my AOS by regular mail disqualified me for being able to submit my wife’s supporting documentation electronically. It seems strange to me because I followed the directions in the order they gave them to me. The instructions to send the AOS by mail were given to me before the instructions telling me that I could opt in for electronic submission for the other supporting documents.

The operative process at the moment seems to be that you select one or the other simply by your participation in one track or the other. So once you have submitted documents one way, you cannot switch to another. They seem to have eliminated the 'OPT-IN/ENROLL' step, although they have not explicitly stated so (and didn't bother to tell YOU).

A nasty little 'gotcha' in your case. Hopefully, they can straighten out their procedures so it doesn't continue to ENSNARE.

I cannot cut and paste or quote anything in CFL for some reason, but... Read the frequently asked questions. Under completing the affidavit of support it states "do not attempt to submit the form electronically". So, when I submitted the thing via email anyway, I wrote the NVC and told them about the confusion, and that I wanted to do the DS260 electronically. With AOS it directs you to the page to make a choice of which method, so I did both paper by mail and email. I Submitted all DS260 electronic. I have not heard back anything, nor does the NVC web site show that they received anything yet. Just my luck...

I cannot cut and paste or quote anything in CFL for some reason, but... Read the frequently asked questions. Under completing the affidavit of support it states "do not attempt to submit the form electronically". So, when I submitted the thing via email anyway, I wrote the NVC and told them about the confusion, and that I wanted to do the DS260 electronically. With AOS it directs you to the page to make a choice of which method, so I did both paper by mail and email. I Submitted all DS260 electronic. I have not heard back anything, nor does the NVC web site show that they received anything yet. Just my luck...

I see what you mean:

Completing the Affidavit of Support Forms

Detailed Step-by-Step Instructions are Included on Each Form: Each of the Affidavit of Support forms I-864W, I-864EZ, I-864 and I-864A have step-by-step instructions for completion by the sponsor or joint sponsor. The instructions explain which forms are required and how to properly complete them. It is important to carefully follow the instructions included with each form.

Important Note: Use the information in the Frequently Asked Questions below and other information on this website with, not instead of the detailed instructions on the applicable form(s).

Completing the Forms: Affidavit of Support forms should be completed on a computer, typed in CAPITAL letters. After the form is completed it must be printed and mailed. DO NOT attempt to submit the form electronically.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

I believe You mail in the I-864 so they can file it with USCIS, but this should not affect which process you choose when doing the DS-230 and submitting supporting documents which is the step after submitting the Affidavit of Support.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/submit/how-to-submit-documents-to-the-nvc.html#GroupB