Help! Trying to do DS-260 but getting a weird message...

So we heard from GUZ today with the case number directing us (actually, directing Chinese National Husband) to go online and complete the DS-260 at https://ceac.state.gov/IV

I thought I would get it started for CNH, but something weird is happening.

When I log in to the site above, first I get a screen that says:

"The next step in the immigration process is for each applicant to complete online form DS-260, Online Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application. The DS-260 is designed to collect information that is necessary to adjudicate your immigrant visa application.
The DS-260 form may be partially completed, saved online, and finished later, or may be completed all in one session. Before starting the form, applicants should gather the 'Documents The Applicant Must Submit' because they are needed to complete the DS-260 form.
To begin the DS-260, please click on the Start link below.
Please note that the DS-260 can only be completed after the applicant's Immigrant Visa Fee has been paid."

Ok, sounds good. But how do I pay the fee? Not sure. So I go ahead and click the "Start" link, as instructed.
Then I get a screen that looks like this:

Online Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application (DS-260)

Application List for IV Case GUZ...(his case number)

The NVC has received notification that the applicant will join the principal applicant at a later date.

Given Name Surname Relationship Fee Status
CNH's first and family name PRINCIPAL NOT APPLICABLE NOT AVAILABLE

From this is screen, there is no way to move forward with the application that I can see...
just a "Cancel" button at the bottom of the screen!

I'm so confused. My spouse IS the principal applicant and there are no other family member, kids, etc. attached to this application.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or what this might mean?

Thanks in advance,
D

In your case, you filed petition in Beijing, "DCF" in this case NVC is not involved in collecting these fees, applicant pays this fee at a CITIC bank in China, and then provides the resulting receipt number when doing the DS-260.

Start here: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-iv-visaapplyinfo.asp# (Login and create an account on that site)

You will provide information to that site in order to pay the visa application fee, and then fill out the DS-260, and schedule the visa interview date and time on that site after filling out the DS-260

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow.

So you think I'm getting the message:

"The NVC has received notification that the applicant will join the principal applicant at a later date"

and am unable to complete the DS-260 as requested because I have not pre-paid the fee for the DS-260 at the CITIC branch?

I already went to the website you mentioned (http://www.ustraveld...aapplyinfo.asp#) as instructed and registered a CITIC "document delivery location."

After doing this, I was able to print out a form with two barcodes on it. I thought this was meant to be presented when picking up the passport after the process is complete; now I'm not so sure. I couldn't figure out how to make a payment via that website.

You wrote:

"applicant pays this fee at a CITIC bank in China, and then provides the resulting receipt number when doing the DS-260,"

but also that:

"You will provide information to that site (http://www.ustraveld...aapplyinfo.asp#) in order to pay the visa application fee"

Does that mean I pay at the bank or that I pay online?

If I go to the bank and pay, do I need to go to the bank twice: once to pay and get the "receipt number" that would allow me to fill out the DS-260; a second time to submit the requested docs (photos, passport info page, proof of complete DS-260 and CGI cover sheet)? This seems different from what I've read elsewhere, but as you can see, I'm not very clear on the matter.

The instructions I received from GUZ today asked that I enter the applicant's dob as the "invoice ID number," and that works just fine for login purposes. They also say: Once you have completed the form (DS-260), print the confirmation page and submit it [their emphasis] along with other requested items in this notice (to the CITIC branch)Ugh!

Thanks,
D

Did DOB satisfy the DS-260 as a payment option?

From reading the CGI Stanley site, it looks like the visa fee is either paid to NVC if petition was filed in the USA, or at the consulate at the visa interview, if petition was filed in China, only Fiancee K-Visa people have to deal with the CITIC bank to pay the visa fee.

All Immigrant Visa fees are payable in U.S. dollars or Chinese Renminbi (RMB) at the Consulate's exchange rate on the day of the applicant's interview. Payments may be made in cash (U.S. dollars or Chinese RMB) or "logoed" credit/debit card: Visa, Master Card, American Express, and Discover. Personal checks are not accepted. A combination of U.S. dollars and Chinese RMB will not be accepted.

Applicants who have paid their immigrant visa fee to NVC are not required to pay additional fees unless the applicant has paid only a partial amount to NVC. Anyone subject to a balance of IV fees will be informed during his or her visa interview.

K applicants must pay a non-refundable, non-transferable Machine Readable Visa (MRV) application fee at any branch of CITIC Bank.

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-iv-immigrantkvisa.asp

The fee paid will be $230 or equivalent RMB at time of interview.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/fees-visa-services.html#permanent

Thanks, dnoblett. I was also under the impression that we are to pay at the consulate on the day of the interview.

Please check out my first post on this thread.

Has anyone else had problems completing the DS-260 online?

Or seen a message like the one I'm getting:

The NVC has received notification that the applicant will join the principal applicant at a later date?

If so, what did you do to solve the problem?

Cheers,
D

Typically "received notification that the applicant will join the principal applicant at a later date" means a follow to join applicant, for example a K-2 child will immigrate at a slightly later time than their K-1 parent "Principle Applicant", or in the case of family immigration a could be additional family members as in children and spouse of a married immigrant like a sibling or married son/daughter.

I don't know why the online system is tossing that error when you are doing the DS-260.

• Like 1

Thanks…I reviewed the I-130 again, just to see if I had somehow screwed up.

Under "C. Information about your relative

17. List spouse and all children of your relative."

I listed myself, because, well—I'm the spouse.

It seemed like a repeat of information at the start of the form:

"A. Relationship

1. I am filing this petition for my: (x) Spouse"

It also asks:

"If separate petitions are also being filed for other relatives, give names of each and relationship."

I answered "none"

I spoke with customer service at CGI this morning (Beijing office), and everything looks normal from their end.

Looks like I just might have to wait for GUZ to answer my query.

Cheers,
d

Edited by d_spalding (see edit history)

Just to close this topic: All is well, thanks to the remarkably quick response time of the consular staff in Guangzhou.

The day after I sent an inquiry through their website regarding the website issue described above, they wrote to ask me for screen shots of the problem. Two days later they wrote to say they had corrected it. We logged in and could complete the online DS-260 without event.

FYI: In my experience, there are no fees to pay associated with the DS-260 at the time of filing (online) or at CITIC (when related materials are sent). Fees will be collected at the consulate at the time of the interview.

Now we are waiting to here from GUZ so that we may schedule the interview.

Thanks for all your help and advice,

D

• Like 1