Car Insurance in the States after Repatriating

Andelu

After 11 years of living in China we will be moving to the States in the first half of 2014 and wondering if anyone has any experience in obtaining car insurance after being out of the US for a lengthy period. I previously had Allstate, but the last year of coverage was in 2012; have a car w/insurance here in China but not sure if the insurance record can be generated by PICC or not - or even if I want it to be! .

Also my Chinese spouse will need insurance coverage, has had a Chinese driver's license for 5+ years. Any experience in adding a newly immigrated spouse to insurance coverage?

Any advice, input would be appreciated.

Andy

1) Should not be an issue for you to get insurance, they will simply look at your state driving record, see no incidences and base the rate on that record. You did keep and maintain a State Driver's license I assume.

2) As for your spouse, there is no reciprocity between China and the states, she will need to take a written test, obtain a learners permit, and then do a road test to get a state driver's license. Once she has a driver's license or learner's permit the insurance company should add her to your policy.

Study topics tagged "Driving" http://candleforlove.com/forums/tags/forums/Driving/