Interview preparation

I am in the final stages of preparing for my interview in GZ and just wanted to verify that I have everything necessary:

1) DS-230

2) Passport

3) 2 passport photos

4) Birth certificate

5) Marriage certificate

6) Police records

7) Physical (which needs to be scheduled once I have my interview number)

8) CV

9) Proof of relationship

10) I-864 sponsor form (pending)

Also, since my husband, who is an American, is currently studying in Beijing and therefore does not have a permanent stateside employment, my father-in-law is sponsoring me instead of a joint-sponsorship for expediency and would his tax records for the past three years printed from PDFs, passport photocopy (proof of American citizenship) and the I-864 sponsor form suffice for sponsorship application, or do I need something else from his end as well?

Also, I wasn't sure what an I-130 form applies to, and just as a precaution, also asked my father-in-law to fill it out. When would I need the I-130 form?

Do the forms, I-864 (and if needed, the I-130) need to be personally signed by my father-in-law and sent to us via post, or would a PDF or digital copy of the form with his signature suffice?

If you have time I would ask your father in law to call the IRS or via online and have him get his tax transcripts for the past 3 years. The IRS will send them for free takes about 10 day's. Then he can send them by EMS to you that way you have an official IRS tax document that has not been scanned or printed from a PDF.

I would downplay the advice about tax transcripts - they carry no more weight or meaning than does the physical copy of the actual return. Either way should work just fine.

The I-130 is the petition for an Immediate Relative visa. If you are at this stage in your process, it has already been filed by your husband.

The digital copies are fine for now, but you will need the original, signed copies to present at the interview.

Thank you for all your patient response! If I understand right, my father in law now only should fill an I-184 form with his signature and post it to me and a photocopy of his passport, since he has already mailed me the last three years' tax returns?

When I am in my interview, for the finance support part in the list, all the documents I have to submit are an I-864 form, a photocopy of his passport and the Printed PHD tax returns. Am I right?

Thank you again~

Thank you for all your patient response! If I understand right, my father in law now only should fill an I-184 form with his signature and post it to me and a photocopy of his passport, since he has already mailed me the last three years' tax returns? When I am in my interview, for the finance support part in the list, all the documents I have to submit are an I-864 form, a photocopy of his passport and the Printed PHD tax returns. Am I right?Thank you again~

Sounds correct, I think you meant to say I-864 from your joint sponsor not I-184.

I-864 is for CR-1 or R-1 visa.

I-134 is for K-1 visa.

Thank you for all your patient response! If I understand right, my father in law now only should fill an I-184 form with his signature and post it to me and a photocopy of his passport, since he has already mailed me the last three years' tax returns? When I am in my interview, for the finance support part in the list, all the documents I have to submit are an I-864 form, a photocopy of his passport and the Printed PHD tax returns. Am I right?Thank you again~

Sounds correct, I think you meant to say I-864 from your joint sponsor not I-184.

I-864 is for CR-1 or R-1 visa.

I-134 is for K-1 visa.

Yes, sorry, my writing mistake. I meant to say I-864 instead of I-184.

and I am confused now that first I heard there are two versions of I-864, and I have to choose the latest one, which I can't tell. Then, I found the following instructions in this website: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3197.html

you need form I-864P to complete the I-864

1. Review the Form I-864 Checklist
  2. Print the completed form(s), and
  3. Attach the bar code sheet and mail them to the NVC unless you have joined the E-Mail Electronic Processing program, then…
  4. Scan the I-864 to Portable Document Format (PDF) and send it as an e-mail attachment to NVCElectronic@state.gov. Sending physical documents to the NVC will delay the processing of your case. When sending completed forms to the NVC do not include instruction pages or any other sheets which do not carry information you entered while completing the form.

Is that means my father in law has to mail the I-864 form to the NVC instead of posting mail to me and then handed over by me? I am totally confused now......

Is that means my father in law has to mail the I-864 form to the NVC instead of posting mail to me and then handed over by me? I am totally confused now......

No, unless the I-130 petition was filed in the states and processed through NVC, if that were the case NVC makes decision on your spouse's I-864 and for they had issue NVC would have requested a joint sponsor.

In your case if you filed petition in Beijing in person, then the I-864 from sponsor and joint sponsor need to be given t the US Consulate in Guangzhou, NVC is not involved.

For the I-864P, it is used only as a reference to ensure that you meet the minimum guidelines

This form does not need to be filed. It is used only for assistance in completing Form I-864.

For the I-864, make sure you download it from this site - http://www.uscis.gov/i-864

03/22/13. No previous editions accepted.

The date of 03/22/13 should show at the bottom of the form as the edition date.

Do not submit the original - submit copies when you are instructed to do so. The originals will need to be mailed to you and submitted at the interview.