Am I Seeing What I Think I'm Seeing?

Randy W

Who knows what mystery lurks in the dark cavernous halls of the SSA??? MUUUHHAAAAAAAA

I'll be going to the local yokel SSA office in Altoona in January to provide evidence of our son's high school attendance so he can continue to collect his SSDI bene when he turns 18 in March until he graduates in June.

Got any questions for me to ask the horse's ass...er...ah...mouth...while I'm there? Send me two fish heads and rub Buddha's big belly twice and I'll ask them for ya.

tsap seui

As long as I know what day of the month to go look for whatever drops out of the sky as the eagle soars overhead, I'll be okay with whatever he drops off.

If Fengqi is going to college, I think he can continue his benefits for another couple of years - at least I did back in 1972.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

6/12/2013 7/10/2013 8/14/2013 9/11/2013 10/9/2013 11/13/2013 12/11/2013 1/8/2014 2/12/2014 3/12/2014 4/9/2014

My recent SSA electronic deposits have been received by the bank on these dates. "They" said, 'you'll get a check on the 10th.' It has been my exerience, for the last 11 years, or so, that I cannot predict the date.

6/12/2013 7/10/2013 8/14/2013 9/11/2013 10/9/2013 11/13/2013 12/11/2013 1/8/2014 2/12/2014 3/12/2014 4/9/2014

My recent SSA electronic deposits have been received by the bank on these dates. "They" said, 'you'll get a check on the 10th.' It has been my exerience, for the last 11 years, or so, that I cannot predict the date.

From what you're showing here - that's 100% consistently the 2nd Wednesday of every month - http://www.ssa.gov/section218training/basic_course_3.htm#14

Your payment days if you filed for benefits on or after May 1, 1997. If you file for Social Security benefits May 1, 1997, or later, you are assigned one of three new payment days based on the date of birth of the person on whose record your entitlement is established (the insured individual):

• The payment day for insured individuals born on the 1st through the 10th of the month is the second Wednesday of each month;
  • The payment day for insured individuals born on the 11th through the 20th of the month is the third Wednesday of each month; and
  • The payment day for insured individuals born after the 20th of the month is the fourth Wednesday of each month.

Sounds like they follow that schedule pretty rigorously.

Note: If the scheduled Wednesday payment day is a Federal holiday, payment is made on the preceding day that is not a Federal holiday.

You will receive your Social Security payment on the third of the month if you are any of the following:

• A beneficiary who also receives SSI payment;
  • A beneficiary whose income is deemed to an SSI recipient;
  • A beneficiary whose Medicare premiums are paid for by the state in which you live;
  • A beneficiary living in a foreign country;
  • A beneficiary entitled to payments on the third of the month, who later became entitled on another record, as long as there is no break in your entitlement;
  • A recipient of garnished payments, tax levy case payments, or payments made via the critical payment system; or
  • A beneficiary entitled on the same record as one of the above.

I hadn't noticed the clause about living in a foreign country - perhaps that's what my date is based on. But I don't remember giving them my foreign address.

Born on the first of February, they've never failed to deposit my SSDI check on the second Wednesday of each month....a day earlier if there is a holiday on that Wednesday. The VA deposit is on the first of each month, and if that falls on a Saturday or Sunday they deposit it on Friday night. Again, a day earlier if the first is on a holiday. I was awarded SSDI (for PTSD) in 2008 at age 58 and they ran the entitlement back to June of 2007.

I guess the mandatory direct deposits, or "credit cards" if you don't have a bank account has put a crimp in the robbers who used to wait for the eagle to fly into old farts mailboxes, and head banged the old folks to get their check, or grabbed it before the old geezers hobbled out to the mailbox. That used to be a big business for the bad guys, a sort of monthly payday for them.

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

From what you're showing here - that's 100% consistently the 2nd Wednesday of every month - Sounds like they follow that schedule pretty rigorously.

Well, shucks, that would make my wife correct.... the part about, 'gee honey., you really are dumber than a rock!'

• 7 months later...

A little SS glitch - yesterday, I got a letter from the SSA dated Oct. 5 that said I must respond within 45 days, or they may stop my benefit payments. Well, that 45 days was up on Nov. 9, so I got on the horn last night. I first called the International service number, but all I got was a recording that they would call me back within 48 hours. Good luck with that.

So, I called the (U.S. domestic) "help desk" and got them to change my contact information to my mail forwarding service in the U.S. My 'next payment' date still shows Dec. 3, so hopefully, I'm still on track here.

A little SS glitch - yesterday, I got a letter from the SSA dated Oct. 5 that said I must respond within 45 days, or they may stop my benefit payments. Well, that 45 days was up on Nov. 9, so I got on the horn last night. I first called the International service number, but all I got was a recording that they would call me back within 48 hours. Good luck with that.

So, I called the (U.S. domestic) "help desk" and got them to change my contact information to my mail forwarding service in the U.S. My 'next payment' date still shows Dec. 3, so hopefully, I'm still on track here.

It looks like their website (My Social Security at http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/)now REQUIRES a US mailing address - a good idea in my own case in any event. I sent my mailed-in response by EMS, so I expect it'll get there this week, so I should be in good shape.