POE procedures for an IR-1 visa.

Hi Everyone,

This is a related question: my wife and I are preparing for our arrival in the US after getting the IR-1 visa processed. We will arrive after our two year anniversary. My question is this: is there any particular point of entry that is used to new immigrants arriving? I remember one time arriving in Chicago and having my then-girlfriend almost having an argument with the immigration official, but we had no issues whatsoever flying through Toronto.

I ask because I don't know how unusual our situation will be, when our documentation is enough for the 10 year green card. Probably overthinking this, but would like to be sure. Any feedback much appreciated!

Thanks,

Sammy

You should have no problem with any POE. Just make sure that SHE DOES NOT OPEN the sealed packet and she has it with her thru immigration. . And take the X-ray CD from her medical. exam, even though they will most likely not even look at it.

One more important item, make sure she does not try to stash fruit to eat on the trip. If the lil ole doggie gets a wiff she will have a hassle at the POE.

Do you need to specifically ask for one's 10 year GC to be processed or is it simply a given?

Look at the visa. If it says CR-1 (or otherwise DOESN'T say IR-1), you may want to bring a copy of your marriage certificate, and point out that you're past the 2 year anniversary to the IO at the POE.

If it already says IR-1, you should be okay.

• Like 1

Do you need to specifically ask for one's 10 year GC to be processed or is it simply a given?

Look at the visa. If it says CR-1 (or otherwise DOESN'T say IR-1), you may want to bring a copy of your marriage certificate, and point out that you're past the 2 year anniversary to the IO at the POE.

If it already says IR-1, you should be okay.

Exactly..

Also in the worse case, if arrived just after 2 years of marriage on a CR-1, and somehow the POE failed to code this, and a 2 year card arrives in the mail, then schedule an infopass appointment at the field office bringing Visa, Marriage cert, and green-card to the appointment, show that the entry stamp date is after second anniversary and field officer should get it corrected and USCIS should issue a replacement 10 year card. I think I have read a thread a while back where that happened.

is there any particular point of entry that is used to new immigrants arriving? I remember one time arriving in Chicago and having my then-girlfriend almost having an argument with the immigration official, but we had no issues whatsoever flying through Toronto.

Never had any issues with Chicago, my wife and I came through there when she had a K-1 visa, I simply stuck with her and proceed through the immigrant's line, the officer's understood we were traveling together, and the POE officer asked a couple questions, took a finger print, and explained what needs to happen after she arrives, (Get married within 90 days on the K-1)

Toronto is a different thing, be aware that even though you are in Canada, USCIS maintains the (POE) preclearence in that airport, if transiting there and flying on to the USA, you need to see the POE there to turn in the immigration packet, and get the visa stamped, the flight from there is considered to be domestic. If you are going to meet someone at that airport and drive to the states, then the packet and arrival stamp should happen at the boarder crossing.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, this info is very useful! We have the CR-1 on the wife's passport, so I'll definitely keep an eye out during the interview. Will I be able to see immediately if the POE didn't code correctly, or will we only be able to tell when we get the card in the mail?

Just show the POE officer the marriage cert and point out that 2 years has past, and they should code it correctly, however no, I don't think there is any notation in passport regarding this, you will need to wait and see the actual green-card when it arrives in the mail.