From 'new money' Who usually registers w/PSB?

The question was about registering with the PSB. The discussion revolved around 3 ways to go-

1. your way

2. The other half's way

3. The legal requirement way.

Let the voting begin. A joke because a vote should be in another forum.

I have two short stories. First story- I went to China and stayed with my wife's family. A local security officer hounded my wife and mother-in-law saying, 'where is he (me, the foreigner) staying? He is not registered here. I see him here everyday.' Bottom line? I can neither translate nor interpret how they replied. He carried on. They carried on. I did not register. Later, I left China.

My meaning? It is possible you might be questioned about your registration.

The seocnd, and more serious story is that I needed a visa extension after staying unregistered almost one month. I went to the local Exit/Entry Bureau for a Visa extension. They replied, 'sure, no problem.' And then they said, "give us your Passport and your Registration from the local Police Bureau.' Uh, oh. Trouble now.

Skip a lot of talk. Go to the local station, "sorry we cannot register you now, you are already in violation, blah blah blah."

travel.gov has this: Whether you are traveling to or living in China, you must register with the police within 24 hours of your arrival in the country. Even foreigners with residence permits are required to register after each re-entry. If you are staying in a hotel, the staff will automatically register you. However, if you are staying in a private home with family or friends, you should take your passport to the local police station to register. Failure to do so could result in fines and detention. Chinese law requires that you carry a valid U.S. passport and Chinese visa or residence permit at all times. If you are visiting China, you should carry your passport with you, out of reach of pickpockets. If you live in China and have a residence permit, you should carry that document and leave your passport in a secure location, except when traveling...

When you overstay in China, you may be detained for various amounts of time, as well as fined up to RMB 10,000. You must apply for a visa extension from the Entry/Exit Bureau before attempting to leave the country.

So, you throw the dice and you take your chances.

• Like 1

I used to register on every visit at the local precinct near moms home. Two years ago the cop on duty said I'd have to go downtown to register. I assumed he was too lazy to do the paperwork. I have since said to hell with it.

This is in Guilin where the local yocals see foreigners on a daily basis. If you are in a different local with few foreigners then your mileage may vary and probably best to register.

Edited by johnxiaoying (see edit history)

Guest ExChinaExpat
Police Registration: Why you must register within 24 hours of your arrival in China

Unless they stay at a hotel (which will handle the registration for you), foreign nationals must register with the police, at the police station nearest where you are staying, within 24 hours of arriving at their destination in China (some local police stations will give you up to 72 hours if you are on an F visa, but don’t count on it). This requirement is printed on the back of the departure/arrival card that you filled out at the airport. If you are in a rural area, this time period is extend to 72 hours. You are technically supposed to register at every new location in which you stay in China, but in practice, you need to make sure that you register near your primary residence.

The reason you want to comply with this requirement is that you need the Registration Form of Temporary Residence (境外人员临时住宿登记单) in order to extend your stay within the country, as well as get a work permit.

If you are studying, or working or interning in the country on an F (business) visa and forgot to register, than you likely won’t face any legal trouble, as you won’t be inspected for the registration form except in the unlikely event of a police crackdown, such as happened in Beijing before the 2008 Olympics. But if you didn’t initially register, it’s very possible that you will have to face fines if you try to do it later. It is true that some expats have said that in certain provinces, such as Guangdong, they have not been fined for late registration. But others have faced stiff penalties.

The documents that you will need to give to the police in order to get your Registration Form of Temporary Residence are:

Your passport;

Your housing lease/contract;

Your landlord’s identification card or a copy;

Proof of the landlord’s ownership (房产证);

A letter from your living community (居委会) confirming that you live there (usually will only be given if your landlord pays their renters tax which is 5% of what they will charge in rent per month – in practice, if they didn’t pay, you might have to pay this yourself, in order to get the Registration Form of Temporary Residence).

Relevant Law:

Rules Governing the Implementation of the Law of the PRC on the Entry and Exit of Aliens (中华人民共和国外国人入境出境管理法实施细则) (1986)

http://www.chinalawforexpats.com/2013/06/16/police-registration-why-you-must-register-within-24-hours-of-your-arrival-in-china/

http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/ce/cgny/eng/lsqz/laws/t42217.htm

Edited by GuangDongExpat (see edit history)

Well, that pretty well summarizes the issues. I said, "your wife will know if there's a problem" - maybe she won't. It's not absolutely necessary, but it could be a good idea.

I agree with Randy, Follow your wife/girl.

Of all the times i been to chongqing, I have never registered and never had a problem.

Been all over china with no questions asked.

Guest ExChinaExpat

Well, that pretty well summarizes the issues. I said, "your wife will know if there's a problem" - maybe she won't. It's not absolutely necessary, but it could be a good idea.

Of all the times i been to chongqing, I have never registered and never had a problem.

Here's the deal: If you went and got yourself a tourist visa and only plan spending a few days or weeks (less than a month) then you'll likely not have any problems. However, if you're here for an extended stay or work, you're better off taking a stroll to the local police station.

The average Chinese person hasn't a clue about anything foreigners are supposed to do when they are in China, especially related to immigration. Why would they? In China, foreign immigration law questions do not appear on the mystery You Must Answer These Questions of Go to Chinese Prison test. In fact, consider the large number of companies who employ foreigners in China. Most of the people who work in HR are not familiar with Chinese immigration laws and choose to hire third-party companies to deal with their employees visa and registration issues. Chinese people are notorious for never saying, "I don't know," or "I haven't a friggen clue." In place of these simple phrases many expats have had to pay fines, exit and re-enter China on a new visa, or deportation for those who never registered at all and stayed for months.

Here's the deal: If you went and got yourself a tourist visa and only plan spending a few days or weeks (less than a month) then you'll likely not have any problems. However, if you're here for an extended stay or work, you're better off taking a stroll to the local police station.

The average Chinese person hasn't a clue about anything foreigners are supposed to do when they are in China, especially related to immigration. Why would they? In China, foreign immigration law questions do not appear on the mystery You Must Answer These Questions of Go to Chinese Prison test. In fact, consider the large number of companies who employ foreigners in China. Most of the people who work in HR are not familiar with Chinese immigration laws and choose to hire third-party companies to deal with their employees visa and registration issues. Chinese people are notorious for never saying, "I don't know," or "I haven't a friggen clue." In place of these simple phrases many expats have had to pay fines, exit and re-enter China on a new visa, or deportation for those who never registered at all and stayed for months.

yes, This may be true to some point.

But for the newbie going for the first time or for that matter the second no need to register.

Just enjoy your self.

Now for the ones that make multiple trips and stay more that a month, maybe?

Then again for us that own property in china, I'm in the books/ so to say and everyone knows me when i come to visit with family.

On my first visit to Chongqing i tried to register and they told me to go away.

that was the last time i tried.

Guest ExChinaExpat

yes, This may be true to some point.

But for the newbie going for the first time or for that matter the second no need to register.

Just enjoy your self.

Now for the ones that make multiple trips and stay more that a month, maybe?

Then again for us that own property in china, I'm in the books/ so to say and everyone knows me when i come to visit with family.

On my first visit to Chongqing i tried to register and they told me to go away.

that was the last time i tried.

Many police stations in China are unfamiliar with the registration process, especially when you're in a rural area. I know a few expats who incorrectly assumed that because their local police station didn't know what to do, that they did not need to register. Wrong. One of my former colleagues had to pay a heavy fine for not registering. All his attempts to reason with the authorities were unsuccessful even after he explained he went to the station and was turned away.

Even a newbie should consider registering with the local police. A little advance investigation and research will enable you to find a convenient police location that is familiar with completing the forms. It's quick and painless and should be considered like buying insurance. If you have an accident, struck by a car, or something unforeseen happens that results in police questioning you, the first thing they will ask for is your passport and registration paperwork. What? No registration paperwork? Uh-oh, whoopsie.

Find a nice restaurant near the police station, take your partner or translator with you, complete the paperwork, and then have a nice meal. Chinese police are very grateful to those foreigners who respect their laws and appreciate those who take the time to register. There are good reasons why the US State Department suggests all citizens to follow China laws, because if they don't, there is nothing the US can do to help them.

Note: If you stay in a hotel you will be automatically registered. The police are only interested if you stay in a private residence.

Edited by GuangDongExpat (see edit history)

Even a newbie should consider registering with the local police. A little advance investigation and research will enable you to find a convenient police location that is familiar with completing the forms. It's quick and painless and should be considered like buying insurance. If you have an accident, struck by a car, or something unforeseen happens that results in police questioning you, the first thing they will ask for is your passport and registration paperwork. What? No registration paperwork? Uh-oh, whoopsie.

Note: If you stay in a hotel you will be automatically registered. The police are only interested if you stay in a private residence.

"...something unforeseen happens that results..." The whole point of this exercise, actually. It matters not to how many of you nothing ever happened. What are the consequences when something does happen?

No, I haven't registered either, except the one time. And now for the rhetorical question- What are the chances of a non-US Citizen getting a repeat US Visa if they are caught over staying their visa or otherwise violating Immigration Law? See any parallels to Chinese Visitors' Visas?

We've seen excerpts of the Chinese Law noted above. Fines, detainment, big hassles, at the least and, then- No more visitor's visa because you just became an unwelcome visitor. Discus that with your wife when she says, as mine does, "Register? What for, you don't need to!"

• 1 year later...

Here's a loaded question.

When our spouse becomes a citizen and has to get a visa to go back and visit, do you think they will register with the local LEO when staying with family?

I think that they will know whether they need to or not. My guess is that in most if not all cases, they won't need to - except when something happens. So, yes, it probably fits under the same categories discussed above.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

The one time I found myself needing to visit the visa office and having forgotten to register with the local PSB, I followed instructions I'd read online: go to a local hostel, pay for one night and register as a guest but tell them you don't need a bed, and make a U-turn to the door with yellow temporary registration paper in hand. The hostel was cool about it and got my meaning right away; I guess it was a frequently done thing.

But that was when I was young and unattached. Once I had a spouse and dependents, I got overeager about that kind of stuff, visiting the PSB for every passport number change, contract renewal, etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I picked this up at our hotel in Guangzhou from the Guangzhou Municipal Industrial and Commercial Administration Bureau, but I think it pretty well applies no matter where you are in China. It concerns not only registering your stay in China, but working, paying taxes, and doing business in China. Click on the image for a larger picture.

gallery_1846_686_311611.jpg

• Like 1