Questions Regarding I-130 Packet

Hi David,

I recently filed my I-130 form at the Beijing Embassy and here are some things I wish I had known. First of all, as long as you have the required documents with you, don't worry. I was really worked up thinking that something might go wrong, but it was actually incredibly straightforward. My petition was approved the same day and I was notified by e-mail about a week later with the next steps. Here's what I submitted:

I-130

G-325A for each of us

Copy of every page in my current passport. I read somewhere that they wanted this but I got a really strange look from the lady behind the counter and she handed back every page except for the bio page and the current residence permit.

Copy of my old passport's bio page and my last residence permit since I recently renewed my passport and visa and the new one wasn't six months old yet.

Copy of my husband's passport bio page.

1 passport-sized photo for each of us.

Copy of our marriage certificate.

Photos of the evolution of our relationship and our trips abroad (I wrote the places and dates on them), along with flight and hotel receipts.

I also brought all the originals of everything so the person could verify that they were real copies.

I'd brought a card I'd sent him on Valentine's Day when I was on vacation in the U.S. and some wedding congratulations cards from our friends along with some e-mails we'd sent each other, but she said no thanks to all of them.

I also didn't have any affidavits from friends and family, but that didn't seem to be a problem either. Maybe because I gave them about 50 pictures of us together.

I also didn't do a G-1145, but the lady gave me one and told me to fill it out and she put it on top of my application for me.

Don't get too nervous. There's a copier right behind the person taking your paperwork. If they need more copies, they will make them there. I ended up shredding about 50 unneeded pages afterwards. Also, don't arrive more than 5 minutes early. They will not let you inside before that and you will have to stand outside in the cold. Don't stand behind the Chinese visa applicants, just go to the front of the queue and tell them you have an appointment to file your I-130 petition.

Good luck!

Josh

Edited by joshvworld (see edit history)
  • Like 1