Pregnant Wife and Medical X-rays, etc.

I've studied the medical topics and did not see that anyone had asked this question.

My wife is 5.5 months pregnant with our second child. We're anticipating that she'll be around 7 to 8 months when we go to GZ for her interview.

As she's pregnant, there are some examination procedures she can't do (e.g. x-rays), and some which should be handled with care (e.g. not taking too much blood).

Any idea how will this affect the procession of our case?

As a side note NOT to encourage you to get one, but my wife used her immigrations x-ray from 2005 just last week . She has abdominal lesions which the doctors were able to reference in the old x-ray to determine that they are benign (haven't grown in the last 8 years).

Thanks for your quick reply, Randy.

However, I'm still a little confused. According to the link you provided:

22. I’m pregnant and can’t have the X-rays that are required for the medical exam. What can I do?
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) mandates that women who are both pregnant and required to have a medical examination in connection with the issuance of a visa must have a chest x-ray examination conducted. Pregnant women will have to provide the panel physician with consent to conduct the chest x-ray. For the health of the applicant and her unborn child, CDC instructs panel physicians and laboratories to provide abdominal and pelvic protection with double layer, wrap-around lead shields for pregnant women receiving chest radiographs. If you do not want to have an X-ray while pregnant you can wait until after the birth of your child, but you can not be issued a US Immigrant Visa until you have an X-ray and complete the medical examination.

While the POE rarely (or never) checks the x-ray, based on what I understand from the above, we need to have it for the GZ interview, correct?

In other words, she must still do the x-ray before she gets the visa. Is this correct?

Thanks for your quick reply, Randy.

However, I'm still a little confused. According to the link you provided:

22. I’m pregnant and can’t have the X-rays that are required for the medical exam. What can I do?

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) mandates that women who are both pregnant and required to have a medical examination in connection with the issuance of a visa must have a chest x-ray examination conducted. Pregnant women will have to provide the panel physician with consent to conduct the chest x-ray. For the health of the applicant and her unborn child, CDC instructs panel physicians and laboratories to provide abdominal and pelvic protection with double layer, wrap-around lead shields for pregnant women receiving chest radiographs. If you do not want to have an X-ray while pregnant you can wait until after the birth of your child, but you can not be issued a US Immigrant Visa until you have an X-ray and complete the medical examination.

While the POE rarely (or never) checks the x-ray, based on what I understand from the above, we need to have it for the GZ interview, correct?

In other words, she must still do the x-ray before she gets the visa. Is this correct?

No - you DO NOT need the x-ray for the interview. They MAY delay the visa until you can get the x-ray. I don't think we've heard of this happening to anyone.

You WON'T need the x-ray at the POE, either.

The original poster in the link got her visa without having had the x-ray.

So it's a judgement call there, based on whatever is convenient for your situation. You can go to the interview and risk maybe getting an RFE (white or blue slipped) for the x-ray (unlikely), or you can delay the interview until after the baby is born, at which point you will need the exit visa and possibly a separate air fare for the baby.

The lesson learned from the link? - DON'T ASK. Simply proceed with your own plans.

What the X-Rays are used for is to look for signs of TB, there are other tests they can perform to determine this in-place of an X-Ray

• 1 month later...