Use of Soap in China

Guest ExChinaExpat

When we are in China, various family members do this.

I thought it was not washing, but trying to sterilize the glasses before use with boiling water or tea.

It made sense to me since you never know whats been on the glass before you got it, but I have to admit after you all pointed it out, the tea is probably not hot enough to kill any germs.

Still, I never got sick eating in China, so maybe it works ?

From what I have seen from Shenzhen and Guangzhou this is very common practice in restaurants. But considered rude if you do it at a house (it says you do not think they are clean people if you do it). I have seen it done in Shanghai but usually only at a restaurant that caters to the southern people. Yuan is strange on the soap situation. I cheated for house in the states told her the dishwasher sterilizes the dishes as part of the process so she uses it all of the time with soap :happydance: .

In China she says that you cannot trust what they put in the soap so she uses a lot less. for the baby we purchase foreign made baby safe soap for washing the dishes/bottles and the baby herself.

It does drive me crazy when she takes the pure water that we boil for the baby and rinses a toy with it and says all germs gone. Most of the time it has been 3 or 4 hours since we boiled it and even though the water is in a thermos it is not boiling hot. not to mention that the toy is only in the water like 5 seconds versus the 10 minutes that it should be at boiling temperature. I just shrug it off it is easier than getting :bop: on the head for saying that she and her family do not know how to clean correctly. Because if I said anything it would make her lose face and would her mother and sister as they taught her how to clean

Guest ExChinaExpat

I'm happy to report that on this trip to Guilin I am seeing soap dispensers near the restrooms in some restaurants. It gives me a little reassurance that perhaps the employees might be using it.

Ahhh, Guilin. Lovely place. Land of China foreigners. There are actually so many foreigners who visit there, that the local government suggested they put those dispensers to make them feel like they should tell their friends to visit also. The locals? Well, they still don't like soap or use it before preparing your meal. So sorry to say....

I'm happy to report that on this trip to Guilin I am seeing soap dispensers near the restrooms in some restaurants. It gives me a little reassurance that perhaps the employees might be using it.

Ahhh, Guilin. Lovely place. Land of China foreigners. There are actually so many foreigners who visit there, that the local government suggested they put those dispensers to make them feel like they should tell their friends to visit also. The locals? Well, they still don't like soap or use it before preparing your meal. So sorry to say....

Darn, you just blew away that little reassurance I thought I had. I'll probably come down with Mao's revenge tomorrow as a result!