Haiyan , weather report

danb

Hello, Can anyone gives us a "on the ground" weather report for China? That Haiyan Typhoon took a great toll on the Philippines. Poor people. I hope they can get the aid that they need quickly. The number of fatalities are constantly changing. I think at first they were saying that we could expect around 1000 causalities then I heard that it may be only 200 then the numbers changed to 1200. Yesterday they were saying the number may be up to 10,000. Even that number is unclear. One report says that is for only one city's area and the others seem to say that may be for all of the Philippines.

From the reports that I was seeing the trac of the storm was going thru Vietnam and then up thru somewhere around Kumming or Nanning. I checking for some more info on the internet not sure the times of the updates. At least the Haiyan has lost a lot of her strength over the land.I hope everyone in China is safe.

It seems like recently that for me there is a greater need/interest on the breaking news and local reporting. Thanks Danb

Where are you located, Dan?

Chances are if you are inland, you will probably only get a little wind and rain. Typhoons, hurricanes, etc. usually unleash their full fury on coastal areas. I went through Hurricane Andrew in Miami in August, 1992 and that is not something I enjoyed even a little bit. I also went through a typhoon while living in China. It was about a Category 2 on the western scale of wind speed, so not too bad, but enough to blow out windows in our building. We were in Shantou, which is located on the northeast coast of Guangdong.

I am in the states but my Lao Po is in Nanning. .After posting my first post I went back out on the net. I found some info but not that much. It seemed like it mostly missed Nanning. I think it went somewhere between Nanning and Kumming. Went past them and took a right. It has been downgraded to a tropical storm. Up to now almost of the coverage has been about the Philippines. The Philippines got hit bad. Thanks for the info and update. Danb

The best source of information is the satellite images from Google and AccuWeather

Real-time, but infrequently updated (about every 8 hours or so)

http://google.org/cr...6&embedded=true

Zoom out twice on this one to see a broader area

http://www.accuweath...satellite/58362

After coming ashore barely south of the Vietnam border, the typhoon took a turn to the northeast and I believe passed to the east of Nanning. We are still seeing rain from it, but it's never been more than mild umbrella weather.

One thing about hurricanes here is that they dissipate as soon as they hit the mountains on the coast. According to my wife, Yulin has never seen hurricane force winds. In the U.S., there have been more than one hurricane that roughly followed the Mississippi River from the Gulf Coast up to Canada, packing hurricane force winds the entire way.

I watched the satellite images as Typhoon Usagi came ashore - it was a well formed hurricane offshore, but completely broke up along the shore line. You could almost tell where the shoreline was from the shape of the hurricane.

I posted some images yesterday from a wedding ceremony that took place in the midst of Haiyan.

Whatever the country it's terribly sad to see folks losing lives and having their lives disrupted. Mother nature is relentless. Prayers to the ones in harms way, this time.

tsap seui

from the Wall Street Journal

On Second Thought: China Increases Aid to Philippines

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2013/11/14/on-second-thought-china-increases-aid-to-philippines/

China is now planning to send a total of 10 million yuan ($1.64 million) in relief supplies, including blankets and tents, according to a report on Thursday in the Global Times, a tabloid published by the Communist Party flagship People’s Daily newspaper.

. . .

Beijing was criticized abroad — but praised by some at home — when it offered a modest $100,000 in aid through the state-controlled Red Cross Society of China on Monday.

. . .

The U.S. has pledged $20 million in aid, with the U.S. Marines flying in supplies and drinking water on C-130 transport planes. The United Nations has said it will need $301 million to implement a plan to revive areas hardest hit by the storm in the next six months.

The Global Times was among a handful of state media outlets that called on Beijing to provide more aid earlier this week. “China’s international image is of vital importance to its interests,” the normally nationalist-leaning tabloid said in an editorial on Tuesday. “If it snubs Manila this time, China will suffer great losses.”

Randy, I want to send a link of that video about the typhoon that you posted being man made to a friend. He is interested in that sort of thing. I tried to figure it out but didn't make much progress about find the link. Would please post it for me please? Thanks.

About what the video is talking about. Sound a bit absurd that the anyone would intentionally create a super storm and then unleash it on the Philippines. But then again who knows. Initially it sounded like he was trying to cast the blame on either the Chinese or the Russians but then toward the end it seem like he was pointing to the the US. And in between for a moment he threw in a photo of JFK. ( at time 12:06).

On the article that you posted:

It suggests that China does care about world opinion. A question would be why do they care? Something sinister or something benevolent in nature?

I wonder if the maker of your posted video would have an opinion on that subject.

Personally speaking I am just glad that the Chinese donated the extra money. The Filipino people can use all the aid that they can get. And maybe it can be a start of better relations between the two countries. Danb

Randy, I want to send a link of that video about the typhoon that you posted being man made to a friend. He is interested in that sort of thing. I tried to figure it out but didn't make much progress about find the link. Would please post it for me please? Thanks.

About what the video is talking about. Sound a bit absurd that the anyone would intentionally create a super storm and then unleash it on the Philippines. But then again who knows. Initially it sounded like he was trying to cast the blame on either the Chinese or the Russians but then toward the end it seem like he was pointing to the the US. And in between for a moment he threw in a photo of JFK. ( at time 12:06).

On the article that you posted:

It suggests that China does care about world opinion. A question would be why do they care? Something sinister or something benevolent in nature?

I wonder if the maker of your posted video would have an opinion on that subject.

Personally speaking I am just glad that the Chinese donated the extra money. The Filipino people can use all the aid that they can get. And maybe it can be a start of better relations between the two countries. Danb

Either right-click on the video and select "Copy video URL", or click on the "YouTube" logo in the lower right corner

The YouTube link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5x8gY_Zo3U

As far as why China cares about "world opinion" - this is one of the very rare cases where the state-run media is criticizing it's own government. Like my quote above says,

The Global Times was among a handful of state media outlets that called on Beijing to provide more aid earlier this week. “China’s international image is of vital importance to its interests,” the normally nationalist-leaning tabloid said in an editorial on Tuesday. “If it snubs Manila this time, China will suffer great losses.”

The Philippines had provided something like $1.2 million in earthquake aid when China needed it. Yet China was initially only able to provide $100,000 in assistance to the Philippines - very short-sighted.

Some interesting commentary on the issue from "Agence France-Presse (AFP) is a French news agency, the oldest one in the world, and one of the three largest with Associated Press and Reuters."

Beijing's meagre typhoon aid is diplomatic misstep: experts

http://news.yahoo.com/beijings-meagre-typhoon-aid-diplomatic-misstep-experts-070142342.html

Initially the Chinese government offered only $100,000, and while later donations have swelled Beijing's aid to $1.8 million that falls far short of Japan's $30 million, $20 million from the US, and even Swedish furniture group Ikea, which gave $2.7 million through its charitable foundation to the UN children's agency Unicef for relief efforts in the storm-hit area.

. . .

A plaque at the tribute site displays MacArthur's proclamation urging Filipinos to "rise and strike" against the Japanese.

But almost seven decades later, Tokyo is preparing to send as many as 1,000 members of its Self-Defense Forces, Japan's de facto military, to the disaster zone, their first active return to Leyte, where they will work hand-in-hand with the US military presence.

In contrast, China refers constantly to its past as a victim of Japanese aggression in its row with Tokyo over another set of disputed islands.