Guangzhou Spontaneous Cheer

Guest ExChinaExpat

Guest ExChinaExpat

Last night while sitting in my living room watching a movie a loud spontaneous cheer broke out in Guangzhou. First, I lowered the volume on the movie and my friend and I walked out on the balcony to see what was happening. The cheering went on for about 15 minutes and seemed to be coming from every apartment in the city. Within a few moments, my friend recalled there was a very important soccer match in Guangzhou. I checked the net and immediately found that China had won the tournament against Seoul.

GUANGZHOU, China, Nov 9 (Reuters) - - Guangzhou Evergrande became the first Chinese winners of the AFC Champions League when they drew 1-1 with FC Seoul in the second leg on Saturday to take the title on away goals after a 3-3 aggregate tie.
The Chinese champions dominated but struggled to convert pressure into goals until Brazilian forward Elkeson broke the deadlock in the 58th minute, sending the majority of the red clad 58,000 capacity crowd at the Tianhe Stadium into raptures.
"After 24 years, the Asia cup has returned to China. Evergrande, this battle will live on in memories for ever!" the local government of the poor northeastern province of Jilin wrote on its microblog.
The Chinese Football Association wasted little time in expressing its congratulations on the achievement many hope will spark a resurgence in the game there after years of corruption had blighted its growth.
"This is the highest honour for Chinese football," it said in a congratulatory message carried by the state-run Xinhua news agency. "We sincerely hope you keep working hard, but guard against pride and impatience."

I was out and about here in Beijing yesterday, and whether it was bars, little dive corner restaurants, and even bigger and fancier restaurants, every place seemed to have found a TV and wheeled it out in front of all the tables. Regular eating stopped and beer, baijiu, and peanuts took over while everyone was watching the game.