First Impressions

Jingwen and the kids have now been here for about three days. Thought I'd pass on her initial thoughts about America

America is beautiful, so many squirrels that are good eating too :o

Atlanta is cold :o Remember, she's from Zhanjiang where is rearely gets below 50 at night.

Central heating is great, but why doesn't it stay on all the time? :D

Let's go on foot. :) Why is everything so far away?

Everything is so expensive.

She doesn't want to go to school (ESL). I've talked to a number of Chinese friends about this, and they say it's a common reaction. She probably feels inadequate now and going to class would initially make her feel less secure. The wife of one close friend who has been in the country for a little over a year said that she will come around when she realizes that there is life outside of the house. The kids can't wait to start.

She likes the car :P

She still doesn't go for American food, but I fixed dinner last night and she ate just about everything. Loves wasabi, but doesn't care for horseradish. The kids love an American breakfast of bacon/sausage and eggs, but surprisely nobody like grits :o

The Asian/Chinese markets have everything that she's been looking for for food, even rice cooking wine. She wasn't too keen on using the sake, but it worked until we went to the Chinese market. Funny, when I go to the grocery store, I'll spend about $100 for a week's worth of food and junk for three. She bought food for a week for about $50 that will feed five. Fish is cheap, and she bought a very nice cut of beef that she slices thin. Ummmm, good cooking, but I had to ask her to cut back on the salt.

She likes the house a lot. :D One thing is found out is that she and the kids are not used to toilet seats, so it doesn't seem to bother them that I leave them up :P

We've already gone through one sponge mop, and the vacuum cleaner is too heavy for her to use - my chore now.

For some reason, white linens are not preferred - had to go out and buy new colored sheets, pillow cases and comforters

She likes it that she can speak Guangdonghua in the Chinese stores. This has helped her keep from being too homesick. And showing her how to connect to the local access number so she can call China has really helped.

After those kids get the feeling of the South in their blood a little bit they will come around and start liking grits. Hey, if she likes squirrel maybe she would like possum as well.

Great description and very enjoyable. I am so happy for you two.

Does she speak Putonghua also?