Just to clarify, the $230 fee to process the DS-260 application is paid on the DAY of the interview? Or do we need to pay that beforehand at a CITIC bank? Then after the interview and before going to the US, we have to pay another $165 online somewhere? I mostly want to make sure when we need to pay the $230 fee in case we need to prepare it for my husband's interview.

Edited by m1chu (see edit history)

Just to clarify, the $230 fee to process the DS-260 application is paid on the DAY of the interview? Or do we need to pay that beforehand at a CITIC bank? Then after the interview and before going to the US, we have to pay another $165 online somewhere? I mostly want to make sure when we need to pay the $230 fee in case we need to prepare it for my husband's interview.

Some have reported paying the $230 fee the day of the interview. Others have reported paying it through the CITIC bank. Still others have reported not being asked to pay it at all, and end up having their visa delayed until it IS paid.You may want to pay it in advance at the CITIC Bank to make sure that it doesn't fall through the cracks.

She will be given instructions the day of the interview on how to pay the $165 fee through a web site. THIS fee is for the stateside green card production and goes to the USCIS. If this fee is NOT paid, it will NOT delay her visa, it will NOT delay or hinder her entry to the U.S. They will simply hold up production of the green card until it IS paid.

So yes - pay the $165 AFTER you receive the instructions, but before she enters the U.S.

• 3 weeks later...

The relevant section of the immigrant visa instruction pdf from the ustraveldocs.com would seem to be:

"□ VISA APPLICATION FEE:

Each applicant must pay the relevant application fee prior to interviewing. Immigrant visa applicants who have
already paid their fees through the National Visa Center will not have to pay any additional fees at the interview.
You will be required to pay the visa fee at the time of visa interview if the application fee has not been paid. Payment
is accepted in both U.S. dollars and RMB. For more information regarding visa fees, please visit
So it should be ok to pay at the interview.
However it is extremely worrying that there is no information about this on the Guangzhou website or in any of the information they have sent me.
If you were to pay through a Citic bank how would you even do it? How would you know your application got credited with being paid?

The relevant section of the immigrant visa instruction pdf from the ustraveldocs.com would seem to be:

"□ VISA APPLICATION FEE:

Each applicant must pay the relevant application fee prior to interviewing. Immigrant visa applicants who have
already paid their fees through the National Visa Center will not have to pay any additional fees at the interview.
You will be required to pay the visa fee at the time of visa interview if the application fee has not been paid. Payment
is accepted in both U.S. dollars and RMB. For more information regarding visa fees, please visit
So it should be ok to pay at the interview.
However it is extremely worrying that there is no information about this on the Guangzhou website or in any of the information they have sent me.
If you were to pay through a Citic bank how would you even do it? How would you know your application got credited with being paid?

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-niv-paymentinfo.asp

Cash at CITIC Bank

You can pay your nonimmigrant visa (NIV) application fee in cash at any of branch of CITIC Bank. Before going to the bank, you must print and carry the applicable U.S. visa fee collection slip available after logging into your profile. You must bring your passport and the printed deposit slip with you to pay your fee.

DO NOT PRINT MULTIPLE COPIES OF THE DEPOSIT SLIP. Each member of a family or group should be considered as a separate transaction. You must print a unique deposit slip for each transaction. You must bring your passport and the printed deposit slip with you to pay your fee. Upon payment, you will receive a receipt.

Save your receipt with the visa fee receipt number. It cannot be replaced if it is lost. You will not be able to schedule an appointment without your receipt number.

These are the instructions for the Non-immigrant visas. Not sure if you can do this for an immigrant visa, though. More confusion.