Traveling to the US with baby and returning in 2 weeks question

Ok,

Yuan now decides that yes it would be a good idea to go back to the states since she has been away for 8 months now and I have been away for 5 months. Actually she wants to look at some houses that we have seen online and go to the bank to get pre approved for a home loan. But hey if it gets me a no argument trip back to the states I am all for it.

I can the water/electric bill put in her name to help with ROC and get her a credit card in her name while we are back in the states. We would of done the bills in her name sooner but her GC arrived the day before we left to move her overseas.

I know we have to shlep to her home town for the DA*M STUPID BLEEPing BLEEP cannot process anything except in home town BLEEP BEEPITY BLEEP HOKU crap to get the baby her exit visa. Sorry, about all the bleeps, but getting to her home town in a pain in the arse 25 hours by direct train, or airplane then train. Of course my wife says the plane is to expensive and we should take the cheaper train. Maybe I can talk her into flying to GUZ to visit her brother then take the 4 hour train to her town.

My question is this. We plan on staying 2 weeks then heading back to finish my work contract. Once Emily arrives in the US with her passport stamped with the exit from China and the entrance to the US . We can then send for her Chinese visa to return with us correct?

Yuan's travel permit will still be valid so that will help us by not filing for the SB-1 Visa. Once we return to china we will be moving back to the states within 5 months so we should not have any hassles in returning at the POE.

Be sure to have BOTH the original and a copy of your wife's travel permit - you can leave the COPY at the POE, and still retain the original.

About the baby - you might ask at the PSB about a Exit/Re-entry visa. These are given in some cases, but may not apply to yours. They may be used in cases where the baby would travel to their home country, renounce their foreign citizenship, and then return to China before they can get a Chinese passport. I'm mentioning this just in case the information may be helpful.

But the best plan seems to be exactly what you're doing - American passport and exit visa for the baby, and then apply for a visa at the Chinese consulate in the U.S.

One more possibility, though - you can ask at the PSB about getting a family relationship visa with an unlimited length of stay.

I might give that a try Randy. I have heard that the PSB does not care about the us passport or certificate of birth abroad. They consider Emily a Chinese citizen unless we go thru the process of renouncing her Chinese citizenship. Which from other web sites can take up at least 3 months to process.

I emailed my china visa's NYC office, and they were going to check with their contacts at the consulate about getting the Visa. Our main problem is that we only plan on staying 2 weeks in the US. And part of that 2 weeks are going to be over Chinese new year. If there is a problem with getting the visa Yuan will never let me forget it.

I might give that a try Randy. I have heard that the PSB does not care about the us passport or certificate of birth abroad. They consider Emily a Chinese citizen unless we go thru the process of renouncing her Chinese citizenship. Which from other web sites can take up at least 3 months to process.

I emailed my china visa's NYC office, and they were going to check with their contacts at the consulate about getting the Visa. Our main problem is that we only plan on staying 2 weeks in the US. And part of that 2 weeks are going to be over Chinese new year. If there is a problem with getting the visa Yuan will never let me forget it.

The exit visa comes in the form of a little booklet, almost like a little mini-passport. There shouldn't be any trouble getting this at all from the PSB. Many have done exactly this. Once Emily has USED her American passport to return to China, she will be considered an American citizen - and no longer a Chinese citizen. This may actually occur when they see her American passport for the exit visa application.

The problems you read about on other sites are generally for British citizens. For some reason, they have more difficulties with this interaction (including the required Exit/Re-entry visa and renouncing of British citizenship before they can get a Chinese passport),

The only problem you may experience is when the Chinese consulate in the U.S. sees that her place of birth is in China. Be sure to have the exit visa handy when you apply for this. Consider going to the consulate in person. They usually expect to see a Chinese passport (which they then void) for a first time American citizen who was born in China. I believe the exit visa will need to serve this purpose.

The consulates in the U.S. were only closed for three days around the Spring Festival in 2012, so I expect it'll be the same next year - but remember that they may need to check with the PSB in China.

Are you sure you want to take the baby on this trip? Depends on your comfort level, I guess.

We have discussed having Yuan's sister take care of the baby for the time we will be away. But Yuan is not very happy with that idea. Our only other option was to try for the SB-1. But she is still in status and the information on the form says that

"A Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) whose status has lapsed due to a failure to maintain a residence in the United States may in certain circumstances be granted an SB-1 visa allowing readmission".

Since her status has not lapsed we cannot file for this visa. If we stay past her Travel permit which they only gave her for 1 year not 2. She will still be in status but the POE might give us a huge hassle when we return to the states next year. Since she will have been out of the US from between 14-18 months depending when we return.

I am going to try to convince her to leave Emily with her sister to take care of while we make the quick trip back, maybe reduce the trip to 1 week instead of 2.

Or she and the baby can stay in the states while I finish my work contract for a few month's. This is not a very good solution for us, I would only get to see her for a week every month and a half. until I return to the states.

You can also use a Visa service. Simply send the passport, application photo and fee overnight a day or so after arriving and should have it back before you leave the country.

I have used this service several times in the past and it took less than a week to get a visa.

https://www.oasischinavisa.com/tourist_visa.html

My china visa replied to my last email last night. While they were at the NYC consulate yesterday they asked about the baby visa. they said no problem just make sure that I send the exit permit book with her passport and all of the other information. I even managed to get my company to foot the bill for the tickets back to the states and the cost of the babies visa. :jump: That almost made up for the 2 inches of water on the first floor of the office and half of the factory from the typhoons.

Now all I have to deal with is the flooding problem from the typhoons that might of destroyed 2 month's of work yesterday. :rain: It seemed like such a good idea to run all of the wiring for the new factory in floor troughs, It made the factory look so clean for 5S. :headbang: