Router and modem

warpedbored

For the last ten years my wife and I have been using a Linksys wireless cable gateway. We have Comcast cable internet and the old modem is getting tired as well as not being optimal for the fastest speeds. We are running more stuff on it now than we did then. Two laptops, a desktop ItalkBB, Netflix, Dish world, an Airave that gives me WiFi calling for my cellphone as well as our two cell phones WiFi. I use up all four of the Ethernet plugs. So what do all you technophiles recommend I get to replace my old one. I like the convenience of a modem router combo but is it the best for my needs?

Carl

For the last ten years my wife and I have been using a Linksys wireless cable gateway. We have Comcast cable internet and the old modem is getting tired as well as not being optimal for the fastest speeds. We are running more stuff on it now than we did then. Two laptops, a desktop ItalkBB, Netflix, Dish world, an Airave that gives me WiFi calling for my cellphone as well as our two cell phones WiFi. I use up all four of the Ethernet plugs. So what do all you technophiles recommend I get to replace my old one. I like the convenience of a modem router combo but is it the best for my needs?

Carl

Hey Carl, have a look at the Asus RT-N66U.

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/

I have this and it works great.

I have a pretty good size network here at my house.

Some wired and some wireless.

This works great for me.

If it is just a matter of running out of ports at the back of the router, you can simply buy a switch and add more ports for wired devices.

Keep in mind Broad-Band internet at most may run at 7 to 10 mb your router's WIFI if an old router "b" is 11mb, and "g" is 54mb speed, so you see a fast router still has to contend with the slower broad-band, however if you do a lot of transfers from device to device or device to computer, then perhaps a faster "n" router will help, with that, however internet will remain at the 7 to 10mb speed.

Carl

Short answer .. buy a buffalo wzr600 or wzr300 plug it into your existing modem.

Turn off modem wireless, and turn on buffalo wireless.

Longer answer ..

I said buffalo because they have fast internal processor, and fast wifi. cost about 60$ at amazon. Any brand would probably work, just I know these are good. Oh, buy it at Frys if your unsure, they will take anything back within 30 days, and they match amazon prices if you ask. So try it, and if your not happy return it.

As a craft guy, this should be a simple thing, just need to apply your skills to electronics.

theres goes-into-s and goes-outa-s.

heres your current setup it seems:

wall -- modem/router -- 4 plugs + wifi

The connection from the wall to the modem is the internet speed you pay for .. no matter how many things or what fancy router you have that speed is locked down based on what you pay for.. also note it is usually 10 meg bit / sec or slower .. keep that number in mind.

note: 1 gig = 1000 meg .

from your modem to your 4 plugs the rate is at least 10 meg bit / sec probably 100 meg bit / sec.

wifi is usually only 4 or 10 meg bit / sec on older wireless (and its shared across all wifi devices) .. new ones can go to 54 meg bit cheaply.

if you use your normal math and logic, changing your modem is not going to affect the internet speed on any of your devices.

The data rate to the wall is the bottleneck.

If you transfer files between computers, try to use the wired connections and it will be faster, but you didn't complain of this issue.

The only area I suspect could give you better internet speed would be to improve the wifi bandwidth.

You can buy a separate router (with fast wifi), and plug it into one of the wired connections on your modem.

Then turn off the old wifi, and turn on the new wifi. even the 54 meg bit / sec on the new wifi wont overrun the 100 meg wired port on your modem.

The new router will have additional plugs for wired connections and these are usually 1 gig bit / sec.

Again, wont help internet speeds, but your computer to computer connection through the new router will be faster.

The wireless connections will be faster.

no need for new modem ... even if your wired connection on the old modem was as slow as 10 meg bit / sec .. until your wall to modem speed is greater than the wired connection side of your modem there is no benefit to replacing it.

According to comcast I will get faster speeds if I upgrade to a DOCSIS3.0 modem. Is this not true?

Yes, This is true Carl.

I have TWC ( Time Warner Cable)

I have a DOCSIS3.0 modem and i pay for 50mb down and 5mb up with the Asus RT-N66U wireless router.

We can stream many videos on multiple computers at the same time with NO bandwidth drop what so ever.

Here is a current speed test of my network as of today.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3008098221.png

If your doing a lot of video chat,( To china QQ) movies, and maybe VOIP (Voice over internet protocol) pay the extra cast and upgrade your system.

Trust me you'll love it.

Mike

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

According to comcast I will get faster speeds if I upgrade to a DOCSIS3.0 modem. Is this not true?

Time warner told me the same thing ... but you have to ask yourself.

"Wasn't I paying for 10 meg bit for years now, you mean I wasn't getting what I been paying for? "

What they mean is you COULD get higher speeds with a docsis 3.0 modem.... if you pay more.

If you don't pay for more, your not going to get more.

We have 4 price levels here, and I had that docsis 2.0 modem for years. When I wanted to go up to tier price 3, they said oh you'll have to upgrade your modem.

Here I lease it for 3$ a month, and the new one was STILL 3$ a month so I said go for it.

We saw no noticeable difference between their "standard internet" and their "turbo internet" so we dropped back to "standard internet". We're at 15 meg down and 1.5 meg up (just checked it).

Yes, This is true Carl.

I have TWC ( Time Warner Cable)

I have a DOCSIS3.0 modem and i pay for 50mb down and 5mb up with the Asus RT-N66U wireless router.

We can stream many videos on multiple computers at the same time with NO bandwidth drop what so ever.

Here is a current speed test of my network as of today.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3008098221.png

If your doing a lot of video chat,( To china QQ) movies, and maybe VOIP (Voice over internet protocol) pay the extra cast and upgrade your system.

Trust me you'll love it.

Mike

If you decide to buy more speed, and upgrade the modem, I'd still suggest like Mike did .. don't get them together.

The speed of connections inside your house, and the speed of their connection to your modem will change independent of each other.

Over time you'll want to increase your internal network, but may not want to change your modem (or vica-versa).

I have more information now. My current plan allows 25 Mbps and upload to 5 Mbps. Comcast tech support says I would definitely benefit from a new modem. They recommend an Arris TG862 wireless gateway. The cheapest of which I find is $149.00 or best offer on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arris-TG862G-Telephony-Wireless-Gateway-Modem-COMCAST-APPROVED-/161103861072?pt=PCC_Modems&hash=item258289d550

I currently have a Linksys wcg200v2. lately I've been having to reboot often, pages are often slow to load and streaming video stalls.

Here are the results from the speed test. Looks like about half of what I'm allowed.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/1znny9e.jpg

I have more information now. My current plan allows 25 Mbps and upload to 5 Mbps. Comcast tech support says I would definitely benefit from a new modem. They recommend an Arris TG862 wireless gateway. The cheapest of which I find is $149.00 or best offer on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arris-TG862G-Telephony-Wireless-Gateway-Modem-COMCAST-APPROVED-/161103861072?pt=PCC_Modems&hash=item258289d550

I currently have a Linksys wcg200v2. lately I've been having to reboot often, pages are often slow to load and streaming video stalls.

Here are the results from the speed test. Looks like about half of what I'm allowed.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/1znny9e.jpg

The Arris TG862 wireless gateway is the same modem i have carl.

Works great and does improve speed.

You have two choices, Get the arris and use it as your modem and wireless.

Or still get the arris and turn off the wireless in the modem and get a new router.

Your getting your upload speeds just fine.

With the new modem you should get very close to your 25mb downloads if not a little more on a good day.

As for the price? like i always tell the wife, you buy cheap you get cheap.

Things are not cheap anymore and you pay for what you get.

Try looking here at newegg, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091

And here is a list of modems for ya. http://www.newegg.com/Modems/SubCategory/ID-18?&cm_sp=Networking281-_-VisNav-_-Modems

Newegg is where i get all my computer gear form building a new system to just about anything.

they have very fast shipping.

Edited by Randy W
fix quote tags (see edit history)

If you just need more ports, just use a switch.

Make sure someone else is not using your Internet.

This is what I mean by using a switch.

http://sw.nohold.net/Linksys/Images/kb22996-002_en_v3.png

Router is #1, Modem plugs into Router's WAN or Internet port, a switch is #2, switches can have as few as 4 or 5 ports, and as many as 48 ports for the bigger ones.

Typical small network switch costs $25 -$30 or so.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122005&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Switches-_-N82E16833122005&gclid=COyel8i2hboCFYWe4AodplYA5w

I have used switches on several networks I maintain.

Why are YOU replacing the modem?

For the last ten years...

Comcast tech support says I would definitely benefit from a new modem.

After 10 years as a paying customer, Comcast should replace the modem free of charge, IMO.

If the modem provides wireless connections, use it and spare yourself the expense of a new router.

Everything boils down to where the bottleneck will be. Clearly, your link to the Internet is an inescapable bottleneck. That is, if you've got a 100Gb network and you've got 25Mb down and 5Mb up modem/service plan...see where things jam up? Faster wireless or ethernet speeds to and from the modem will improve performance until the packet receive buffers on the modem/router fill and start dropping packets. Of course, modern modems may have huge receive buffers - I don't know.

I always buy the fastest, consumer-grade equipment available instead of the industrial gear I once bought. In fact, I just purchased the Asus wireless router mentioned earlier in this thread.