Hello,

Here's a strange question for everyone: first, my wife and I are scheduled to interview in Guangzhou in October. I've just finished filing for my 2012 tax returns and applied ITIN at the same time for my wife to assign the wife a social security number (required for joint tax returns, apparently).

Now looking over all our documents in preparation for the interview, it shows that I checked "no" under part 2 of the original DS-230 application (part 2, 43a), requesting to be assigned a social security number. Should I revise this document and submit again before the interview, or wait for the interview to explain the situation re: 2012 tax returns?

Any feedback much appreciated!

Sammy

ITIN is a tax number issued by IRS so that a person can file taxes without an SSN, it is not applying for SSN, and a SSN will not be issued, only US citizens, green card holders, or others temporarily allowed to work in the USA can get a SSN.

Only once your spouse has visa and enters the USA getting green card status will the SSA issue an SSN.

I would not bother revising that for the SSN check box. Simply wait two weeks after arrival in the states and visit the local SSA office and apply for a number.

Hello,

Here's a strange question for everyone: first, my wife and I are scheduled to interview in Guangzhou in October. I've just finished filing for my 2012 tax returns and applied ITIN at the same time for my wife to assign the wife a social security number (required for joint tax returns, apparently).

Now looking over all our documents in preparation for the interview, it shows that I checked "no" under part 2 of the original DS-230 application (part 2, 43a), requesting to be assigned a social security number. Should I revise this document and submit again before the interview, or wait for the interview to explain the situation re: 2012 tax returns?

Any feedback much appreciated!

Sammy

The ITIN is a tax-payer Identification Number - it is NOT a Social Security Number. You may apply for an SSN for your wife ONLY after she enters the U.S. (that is the point at which her green card is awarded - the SS #'s are available only to green card holders.

The ITIN is needed to file your tax return when a person is not eligible for a Social Security Number - this is the situation your wife is presently in.

There is nothing to explain regarding the situation. Some people check "yes" in hopes that an SS card will be mailed to them after arrival in the States. Others simply go to the Social Security office and apply for one in person. I recommend going to the office in person.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Another question for everyone: my wife and I have finally arrived in the US. Do we need any special documentation besides my wife's passport to go to the local social security office, or do we need to wait for the green card to arrive first?

She should have an I-551stamp in her passport that can be shown at the SS office. As long as she is in the computers, she'll be allowed to apply - 14 days after arrival should be sufficient time for this to have occurred.

You can go apply but until USCIS has it all in their computer for SSA to see and use , they won't issue you a SS card. In our case it was a little over 2 weeks after POE, and we had the green card in hand. The SSA lady was very nice and instead of telling us to come back in a week or so, she took it upon herself to check each day to see when the info was in the USCIS's computer, then sent us the SS card. Pretty rare happening.

tsap seui

Bit of an update...just came back from the SS office. Not sure if it's because we were at a smaller office, but the people there were convinced that the I-551 should be a green card that is mailed to us. As my wife's visa is expiring on 15 March, the system would not allow us to send through until we have the I-551 in hand.

So my new question: do we have to wait for this document to be mailed to us, or should I be calling INS directly about this? I can confirm we've received nothing in the mail thus far, and we're close enough to the visa expiration date to be a little nervous. I'm hoping this is just a little confusion on the SS office part until we receive the documents, but would like to be sure.

Thanks!

Visit a different SSA office, also the I-551 stamp on the visa is good for one year as per the notation on the visa, it does not expire when the visa expires.

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/albums/userpics/99033/cr-1_a.jpg

Lastly, the visa expiration date has to do with the last day it can be used to enter the USA for the first time, once it is used it is considered to be void, because it is a single use visa, it is the I-551 notation allows re-entry from trips abroad.

USCIS won't help when called, it is the timing of when they indicate entry in their SAVE system, which the officer at SSA should be using to confirm status, typically this is updated around 10 days or so after arrival.

Another thing you may do to jump the SSA officer.

Download form I-9 http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-9.pdf go to page 9, Highlight #3 in Column A where it says foreign passport with I-551 notation.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

The I-551 notation is USCIS shorthand for EITHER the I-551 stamp, or the green card itself - that is, the green card is known as Form I-551.

But, like Dan says, they need to see that her information is entered into the computer before they can issue the SS.

Thanks again everyone for answering so quickly, very helpful indeed.

The next question pertains to my wife's legal name. She now has her SSN in hand with her Chinese name, but would now like to add my family name. My question: can I try to make changes to the current petition for the green card first, or should I try changing the name through the SSN at the local office? I'm worried about changing any of the current system now running on the green card arrival, but do need to eventually change the name.

Much appreciated!

Thanks again everyone for answering so quickly, very helpful indeed.

The next question pertains to my wife's legal name. She now has her SSN in hand with her Chinese name, but would now like to add my family name. My question: can I try to make changes to the current petition for the green card first, or should I try changing the name through the SSN at the local office? I'm worried about changing any of the current system now running on the green card arrival, but do need to eventually change the name.

Much appreciated!

Would require a legal change of name, and then filing an I-90 and paying a $450 fee to replace green-card. It may be easier to simply wait to the time she decides if she wants to become a US Citizen, she can then do the name change as part of naturalization.

No way to make this change on the current green-card, it will come in whatever name that was indicated on CR-1 or IR-1 visa.