When I just had this done in Arizona, they affixed a separate apostile page to my notarized document. The stamp I got from the LA Consulate was then affixed to the apostile page. My understanding is the apostile certifies that the notary is authorized by the state and the consulate certifies the apostile establishing a chain of legitimacy. The Chinese consulate to the best of my knowledge does not establish the legality of the document or suitability for any purpose but just that it was properly notarized. My wife ended up getting the documents then translated in China. This was for an apartment however, not a certificate of singleness.

Yes - this process is exactly the same for any American legal document to be used in China. Your Secretary of State validates the notarization, and the consulate validates the validation AND tells (in Chinese) what the purpose of the document is in a little holographic seal (in our case, it was "marriage certificate").

The Chinese white books, on the other hand, do not follow that "chain of legitimacy". They are a GENERAL International format for use ANYWHERE overseas. The American consulates RECOGNIZE this practice, and, in fact, the white books seem to be acceptable in the U.S. for just about any usage WITHOUT requiring the consulate certification.

I have pretty much decided to go ahead and get this done in Beijing. I'll have to do a separate trip to do that, but oh well.

But I do have the following questions:

1. Is Beijing the closest embassy in China able to give that certificate?
  2. Does the certificate need to be translationed into Chinese, or does it already have the appropriate Chinese language within it?
  3. How easy is it to get from the train station to the U.S. Embassy?
  4. Will the embassy require any documents from me other than the appointment letter and my passport?

Thank you

I have pretty much decided to go ahead and get this done in Beijing. I'll have to do a separate trip to do that, but oh well.

But I do have the following questions:

1. Is Beijing the closest embassy in China able to give that certificate?
  2. Does the certificate need to be translationed into Chinese, or does it already have the appropriate Chinese language within it?
  3. How easy is it to get from the train station to the U.S. Embassy?
  4. Will the embassy require any documents from me other than the appointment letter and my passport?

Thank you

U.S. Embassy and U.S. Consulates in China

The certificate is good to go as is - you'll get one appropriate for China

The subway in Beijing will take you - someone can fill you in on any details

You will probably need any divorce decree(s), and possibly your birth certificate.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I don't know what train station you'll be arriving at, but, you'll navigate to Line 10 and go to the LiangMaQiao (亮马桥) subway stop. Line 10 is a big square, this station is in the north/northeast part of the square.

From the subway station it is about a 5-10 minute walk. I think just one "turn" involved, not complicated, but I forget exactly. I'm sure the Embassy website or some other websites have a map of how to walk there.

• 2 weeks later...

So in Beijing you don't need to get the Single Affidavit translated after receiving it from the consulate? I'm going to Shanghai's US Consulate tomorrow to get mine and I was told I must get a certified translation of the document to provide to the marriage bureau. Also, it seems it's impossible to get the translation done in less than 3 days, which will mean we're cutting it close -- my Residence Permit expires on the 25th of this month. I think we'll have enough time though.

So in Beijing you don't need to get the Single Affidavit translated after receiving it from the consulate? I'm going to Shanghai's US Consulate tomorrow to get mine and I was told I must get a certified translation of the document to provide to the marriage bureau. Also, it seems it's impossible to get the translation done in less than 3 days, which will mean we're cutting it close -- my Residence Permit expires on the 25th of this month. I think we'll have enough time though.

These are the instructions from the Guangzhou consulate - http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/information_about_getting_married_in_china2.html, including a link to a pdf of the Marriageability Affidavit form which is in English. So, if your Civil Affairs Office TELLS you that it needs to be translated into Chinese, then it needs to be translated into Chinese no matter where it comes from. As far as I remember, though, most people don't need to have that done.

Please contact the specific Chinese Civil Affairs Office in the city you or your fiancé/fiancée will register your marriage for the most current requirements.

Please complete the Marriageability Affidavit form (PDF)*, print it out and bring it with you to your scheduled appointment. Please do not sign the affidavit, you will sign it in front of a consular officer.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

While I can't speak for the marriage bureau you are going to go to, in our case (up in the US consulate in Shenyang) the marriage bureau in Shenyang had a gal working there who understood English. We had to get into her lane to have our paperwork done. She read the affidavit from the consulate (all in English), matched it with my passport and that part was done. No translation was needed. The marriage bureau knew exactly what to do and I'm quite sure had hired that lady for her english skills.

You may want to verify, directly, with the marriage bureau you are going to go to that they do indeed need the translation. Things could have changed with the marriage bureaus since 2009 but I highly doubt it.

Good luck,

tsap seui

• Like 1

i was just married in wuhan in July , i flew into Beijing stayed till monday and went to the us embassy to get my marriage affidavit it was very simple they did not even look at my notarized divorce decree , but you have to make an appointment at the embassy online to schedule your appointment.when we went to the civil affairs office to be married they wanted my marriage ability affidavit translated, they gave us an address to get this done, one hour and we were back and married very easy..

• Like 1

i was just married in wuhan in July , i flew into Beijing stayed till monday and went to the us embassy to get my marriage affidavit it was very simple they did not even look at my notarized divorce decree , but you have to make an appointment at the embassy online to schedule your appointment.when we went to the civil affairs office to be married they wanted my marriage ability affidavit translated, they gave us an address to get this done, one hour and we were back and married very easy..

So you did not have to provide them any documentation? Just made the appointment and asked for marriage affidavit/single certificate?

So you did not have to provide them any documentation? Just made the appointment and asked for marriage affidavit/single certificate?

Keep in mind, it is a sworn affidavit, you are swearing under oath that you are single.

Keep in mind, it is a sworn affidavit, you are swearing under oath that you are single.

Yes, absolutely, just wasn't sure if there was anything else that needs to be provided.

For example if you were never married before what can you provide to prove this? There is no record of never being married before.

All you can do is swear under oath that this the fact.

For example if you were never married before what can you provide to prove this? There is no record of never being married before.

All you can do is swear under oath that this the fact.

Absolutely, got ya!

While I can't speak for the marriage bureau you are going to go to, in our case (up in the US consulate in Shenyang) the marriage bureau in Shenyang had a gal working there who understood English. We had to get into her lane to have our paperwork done. She read the affidavit from the consulate (all in English), matched it with my passport and that part was done. No translation was needed. The marriage bureau knew exactly what to do and I'm quite sure had hired that lady for her english skills.

You may want to verify, directly, with the marriage bureau you are going to go to that they do indeed need the translation. Things could have changed with the marriage bureaus since 2009 but I highly doubt it.

Good luck,

tsap seui

It is funny how things can change in China depending on the day of the week. We got married in the same marriage bureau in Shenyang though by late 2010 the office had moved. As my buddy described, it was getting married in the DMV. When we showed up I had the Affidavit of Marriageability both the original and a translation. They would not accept the translation and insisted on doing their own. The translation consisted of them stamping my translation. (in other words, they wanted to charge me for it - likely ending up in the clerk's pocket)

Overall including the translation and an expedite fee, getting married ended up costing me something like 1800 RMB. Another friend of mine managed to do it for 6 RMB though I did get a a picture album :-)

Good luck,

tsap seui

It is funny how things can change in China depending on the day of the week. We got married in the same marriage bureau in Shenyang though by late 2010 the office had moved. As my buddy described, it was getting married in the DMV. When we showed up I had the Affidavit of Marriageability both the original and a translation. They would not accept the translation and insisted on doing their own. The translation consisted of them stamping my translation. (in other words, they wanted to charge me for it - likely ending up in the clerk's pocket)

Overall including the translation and an expedite fee, getting married ended up costing me something like 1800 RMB. Another friend of mine managed to do it for 6 RMB though I did get a a picture album :-)

Beachey, getting my certificate experiece was very similar as yours - including cost. That was several years ago; I wouldn't be surprised if it cost more nowadays.

• Like 1