DCF I-130 initial petition, Birth Certificate Neccessary and other Not

I've been married to my Chinese wife for 5 years and we have a one year old daughter. I am getting ready to start the DCF process for an IR1 visa. I have a couple questions regarding filling the I-130, mostly because I am hoping to avoid a trip to the notary office.

First, looking through the forums it seems like most people submit a notarized and translated version of their spouses Chinese birth certificate. However on the Guangzhou consulate website it says that they need a birth certificate OR a passport. If my wife already has a passport is it neccessary to also bring the birth certificate?

Is there a time limit on notarized documents? We succesfully applied for a tourist visa several years ago and still have the translated and notarzed copy of our marriage certificate. Do we need to get it redone?

Besides the marriage certificate and the birth certificate is there any other documents we need to get translated and notarized? You don't need the criminal record check until later in the process right?

Am I right that it is ok if I translate all the other documents that don't need to be notarized?

Thanks for the help.

Birth cert of Chinese spouse not needed when filing petition.

What GUZ is indicating is US Citizen's birth cert, this is to establish US Citizenship, it is either copy of US Birth Cert or copy of US Passport BIO Page that establish this.

Only things that should be "notarized" are sworn affidavits from friends or family attesting to your relationship.

Chinese birth, police, and marriage certs + translations come from a notary office, this is not the same as getting something "notarized" a notary office is a records office much like a county clerks office in the states.

Only document that has an expiration is a police cert, this is needed for packet 3 close to interview time, not when submitting the I-130

The Notary office can and should do the English translations documents originating from the notary office, they will bind the translation to the related document copies in White Books.

Other documents like letters should be translated by a third party such as a friend that is fluent in both languages, they should "certify" the translation by making note at bottom that they are conversant in both languages, and sign/date it.

One thing I will point out that WILL come up at the time of visa interview is US Citizen's domicile, you need to show maintained domicile while living abroad "temporarily" or have re-established domicile, the I-864 that you will be providing when responding to Packet 3 requires US Domicile.

Study topics tagged Domicile.

You are submitting an I-130 petition to the USCIS, NOT to the Dept. of State or what is generally considered the Guangzhou consulate. The USCIS has an office in the consulate.

The USCIS will process your petition, and, when approved, forward it to the IV (Immigrant Visa) Dept. at the Guangzhou consulate. It is at this point that your wife will need to submit her visa application and forward her documents to the consulate.

Requirements are different for the initial petition and your wife's visa application.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

One more quick question, It says on the Guangzhou website that there is no place to check bags or cellphones. Not being able to check cell phones is insane.

Is there anywhere near the embassy to check stuff?

That's a good question - I hope someone who's been there has a better answer than mine.

I've heard people say that they were leaving their electronics in the hotel.

That is a new one, something changed since my wife interviewed over 6 years ago, back then security would hold your cell phone while you were in the consulate.

That is a new one, something changed since my wife interviewed over 6 years ago, back then security would hold your cell phone while you were in the consulate.

Yes - the new consulate as of late July specifically states to not bring your electronics.

I haven't seen anyone, either here or on VJ, report on exactly what the set-up is, however. That is, where is the checkpoint? Are you restricted from bringing things into the compound area, or are the checkpoints at the entrances to the building? Is it only for the building in which the applicants interview?

Most of the reports I've seen indicated the American citizen would wait at a nearby hotel or coffee shop - I haven't seen anyone report on where the closest waiting spot is. The consulate compound now takes up the entire city block, except for one corner where an elementary school is located. Google maps of the area show hotels and coffee shops on neighboring blocks. They look like they're farther away than you would probably want your spouse to walk after getting their interview results.

I'm planning on going alone and not staying in Guangzhou for the night, so it looks like it could be a problem for me. I could check everything at the airport, but not being able to bring my cellphone will be a huge pain in the ass.

At the shanghai consulate you can check your cellphone, seems ridiculous to not be able to do so at Guangzhou.

Edited by ahickey (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

I was at the new consulate a few weeks ago submitting our I-130 through Consular Processing and cant attest that you cannot take anything in except a small bag for your documents. No electronics, no cigarettes, no lighters, etc. Only take the bare minimum you need. Luckily we drive and left our stuff in the car a block away. There are old ladies who will watch your phone/stuff for a fee but I would be hestitant to do so.

As for places to wait, the weather is starting to get cooler so can sit on the short wall outside the consulate. Otherwise, there are several coffees shops and the opposite end of the block where the entrance is located. A small Starbucks is in the office building across the street from the consulate entrance.