It's a girl.

Hello everyone. My niece in China just had a baby. She is a girl. I am very happy for my niece and her husband. I am trying to figure out a good gift. I need some help on selecting a gift. Should I get her a Chinese traditional type gift or should I get an American type gift? First I am not exactly sure what those two type categories would/entails entail.. What is a traditional Chinese type baby present? Not even sure what a good American type baby's present is. Socks, blanket, or an outfit? I would like it something special and perhaps distinctive. The parents are fairly well off so baby probably doesn't need cute baby's socks or diapers. Any ideas, suggestions and your thought's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Danb

PS: for some reasons Irish linen comes to mind. I have no idea why!!

Milk powder is a big one, but inconvenient, and baby lotions from the US is popular (we usually buy Aveeno brand)…but my favorite is to go to TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Ross and buy a pile baby clothes. You can get a ton of clothes for relatively cheap, all from brands that give lots of face. Buy big, for some reason Chinese babies seem to be much bigger than western ones.

Edited by lhp (see edit history)

Us baby formula is a huge gift. I know I have been having coworkers bring over some every time they come to shanghai. Last batch of our special formula, amino acid based cost me 379 dollars for 8, 400g cans.

Another good idea is good old cash. they can use it for whatever they want or they can use it to start the baby's saving account. You can never go wrong in China with a red envelope with money inside.

the good will/salvation army/thrift store idea is a good one. On our best day before we left the states we managed 5 outfits for 10 dollars. Western clothes on a baby here get a lot of attention.

Then again a 200lb 6'2" white guy pushing a stroller thru the jinsanwei mall will also do the trick.

Thank you for the ideas and thoughts. I thought about baby formula but thinking about the weight. I was wondering how much I could send/bring over to China and the cost of it. Money would probably be the easiest. I was thinking maybe some type of jewelry. Maybe there is some type of charm or tennis(?) bracelets for babies. Over the years she could have trinkets( items **) added to them. I will Google about them and maybe I should visit a jewelry store for some info. Thanks again. Danb

** Items like cowboy hats,spurs, Flags, stars, etc