I ran across this today while reading the news. I thought it interesting.

Mr Li was a photojournalist for the local paper in Harbin, capital of China's northermost province of Heilongjiang. That is where he did his life's work documenting the Cultural Revolution, taking the "positive" propoganda images of masses whipped up in revolutionary fervor for the newspaper, and also the "negative," mor nuanced, questioning pictures. He snipped those frames off his film and hid them under the parquet floorboards of his house until the revolution ended. He did not show these pictures in China until the late 1980s. Even today, given the sensitivities that linger over the Cultural Revolution in China his work is more often seen overseas rather than at home

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/10/through-a-thwarted-cinematographers-eye-chinas-cultural-revolution/?_r=0

crazy time all around the world when all governments (USA, USSR, PRC, etc.) unleashed everything they could to control an awakening public - lots of sad stories and the PRC is hardly the only one...

Japanese and Western sources like to point at China without adding that other countries shared a dark period.

crazy time all around the world when all governments (USA, USSR, PRC, etc.) unleashed everything they could to control an awakening public - lots of sad stories and the PRC is hardly the only one...

Japanese and Western sources like to point at China without adding that other countries shared a dark period.

I don't understand your almost fanatical defense of anything you perceive as criticism of China. The whole world was not as crazy as China was during that period. I don't recall mobs of Red Guards running rough shod over the population of the US or Japan, killing people and destroying priceless artifacts.

http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/wow/pholilililto.jpg

• Like 1

I encouraged my wife to write about her experiences during this time in China. She posted this on another forum last year on Father's Day.

I want to wish to all the fathers out here Happys of Fathers Day! My father who passed away earlier this year of the cancer was my Stepdaddy. My real father is alive. When I was a little girl things where changing. Some welcomed the changes and some would not. My mother and father where separated by these changes. My mama and me where sent to work and become orientation of the rural life of farming.... When we where going to countryside we had to cross a river. The bridge was damaged and we had to wade the river. I nearly drown by rushing waters. My mama save me by miracle. My father went to be educated in the new ways. We lost all contact with each other. These were of troubling times then and bringing winds of confusion for. City people went to become farmers and knew nothing of the agricultural ways. This help lead to crop lacking for many people. Poverty was everywhere. Whole villages became barren. Lack of food makes people become different and desperate. Whole families where disengaged and never to saw other again. After a few years through the confusion of the time my mama and daddy thought we had been dead from the confusion that had went. My mother and daddy moved on with their ways. My mama met my step dad and they married as did my father. Things slow return of normal and became better for all. Over 30 years go pass by and we all discover that we are alive. My father remarried and has two daughters from his new wife and my mother gave my stepdad two very good sons and brothers to me. My stepdad was very good to mama and me. He and mama saw that all of us got to of good education and not be in need of wanting. My daddy did the same for my step sisters and my stepmother.
I am of the good fortune that I have the life and had two fathers for and provide their wisdom for me.
  • Like 2

I encouraged my wife to write about her experiences during this time in China. She posted this on another forum last year on Father's Day.

I want to wish to all the fathers out here Happys of Fathers Day! My father who passed away earlier this year of the cancer was my Stepdaddy. My real father is alive. When I was a little girl things where changing. Some welcomed the changes and some would not. My mother and father where separated by these changes. My mama and me where sent to work and become orientation of the rural life of farming.... When we where going to countryside we had to cross a river. The bridge was damaged and we had to wade the river. I nearly drown by rushing waters. My mama save me by miracle. My father went to be educated in the new ways. We lost all contact with each other. These were of troubling times then and bringing winds of confusion for. City people went to become farmers and knew nothing of the agricultural ways. This help lead to crop lacking for many people. Poverty was everywhere. Whole villages became barren. Lack of food makes people become different and desperate. Whole families where disengaged and never to saw other again. After a few years through the confusion of the time my mama and daddy thought we had been dead from the confusion that had went. My mother and daddy moved on with their ways. My mama met my step dad and they married as did my father. Things slow return of normal and became better for all. Over 30 years go pass by and we all discover that we are alive. My father remarried and has two daughters from his new wife and my mother gave my stepdad two very good sons and brothers to me. My stepdad was very good to mama and me. He and mama saw that all of us got to of good education and not be in need of wanting. My daddy did the same for my step sisters and my stepmother.

I am of the good fortune that I have the life and had two fathers for and provide their wisdom for me.

That post brought tears to my eyes ...

You have a lucky and precious wife!

• Like 1

BTW, my family suffered greatly in America too.

Would you mind sharing the story of your family's sufferings with us here?

I can certainly share my 53 year old wife's stories of her sufferings during the reign of Mao. The title of this thread is regarding the Cultural Revolution, so why don't we discuss THAT? And if you feel the need, open another thread about your family's sufferings here in America.

Try to be a bit less knee-jerked when discussing all things China good and bad. Every man here have gained most of our China perspectives through our wives. Please, instead of pointing out the sins of the West (that many of us know and abhor), how about some honest and open discussion? Otherwise, all you end up doing is trolling for reactions and steering threads off-topics.

• Like 1