Questions about new DCF processes (as of July 2013)

Hello! I've been reading these forums for a while and am finally ready to begin my own journey! However, I'm a bit worried that what I've previously read may be different from what the process currently is for DCF in Beijing/Guangzhou, since I know there were some changes in May 2013, and then the Guangzhou Embassy moved very recently.

A bit of background on me and my husband:

I am a Chinese-American woman, and my husband is a Chinese citizen. We met in Beijing about four and a half years ago, dated for two years, got engaged, then married in his hometown of Henan Province in June 2012. We're getting ready to DCF in Beijing to get the CR-1 visa, and I have a couple of questions.

1) I would be really grateful if anybody could post their experience beginning or going through the DCF process from within the past month. Particularly, are there any big differences now in the process than there were before?

2) From the first step of filing the I-130 to preparing for the interview, what are the documents I need to get translated and notarized? So far, I have:

• His/hers marriage certificates (is there a difference between white books and the notarized translation?) And since my husband and I each got a marriage certificate book, do we need to translate both?
  • Apartment contracts for the last two years for proof of residence

Is there anything else I need to get translated/notarized?

3) Just to confirm, the address we put for the beneficiary and petitioner on the I-130 form is the address that we'll receive the P3 packet? On that note, what's the difference between the P3 and P4 packets?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as we start filing (hopefully in September), and I'll also try to post about my own experiences to help others in the future. Thanks!

Welcome to CFL . We have some folks who have recently gone through the new process. This couple had a DCF interview earlier this month. http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/45928-interview-success-our-dcf-journey/ and this couple just had their DCF interview the other day at the new consulate location. http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/45966-info-about-guangzhou-consulate-new-location/ Hope this helps.

Carl

Welcome to CFL!

Hello! I've been reading these forums for a while and am finally ready to begin my own journey! However, I'm a bit worried that what I've previously read may be different from what the process currently is for DCF in Beijing/Guangzhou, since I know there were some changes in May 2013, and then the Guangzhou Embassy moved very recently.

A bit of background on me and my husband:

I am a Chinese-American woman, and my husband is a Chinese citizen. We met in Beijing about four and a half years ago, dated for two years, got engaged, then married in his hometown of Henan Province in June 2012. We're getting ready to DCF in Beijing to get the CR-1 visa, and I have a couple of questions.

1) I would be really grateful if anybody could post their experience beginning or going through the DCF process from within the past month. Particularly, are there any big differences now in the process than there were before?

I'm sure you're aware of the CGI Stanley web site at usatraveldocs.com. If not, you may want to take a look.

Document submission is now through the CITIC Bank locations. Usatraveldocs.com has a link to a CITIC bank web site which lists these locations - it has been reported recently that the CITIC Bank list of bank locations is off-line, and people have had to contact the CITIC Banks to find one which will accept their documents.

"Applicants born in the People’s Republic of China must have a birth certificate issued by a local notary public office." A US notary is not the same thing - see the note below about the Gong Zheng Chu

Document drop-off locations - http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-loc-documentdropoff.asp. This page lists 5 expedited locations, and a link to the CITIC Bank list at http://bank.ecitic.com/personal/chuguo/50.htm, which is currently off-line.

2) From the first step of filing the I-130 to preparing for the interview, what are the documents I need to get translated and notarized? So far, I have:

• His/hers marriage certificates (is there a difference between white books and the notarized translation?) And since my husband and I each got a marriage certificate book, do we need to translate both?
  • Apartment contracts for the last two years for proof of residence

Is there anything else I need to get translated/notarized?

Chinese Notarial Documents - see DOS China Reciprocity Schedule

NOTE: If the link is broken, try http://travel.state..../fees_3272.html or go to http://travel.state.gov/ and search for "Reciprocity by Country" (they seem to change this periodically)

Most of the documents needed can be obtained from one of China's Notarial Offices (Gong Zheng Chu). All Chinese documentation to be used abroad is processed through the notary offices and issued in the form of notarial certificates. Notarial offices are located in all major Chinese cities and in rural county seats

The documents required are the GongZhengShu 公证书

Sample application for documents (your province or hukou may vary):

http://www.bnpo.gov....72115331419.doc

http://www.bnpo.gov....ide/detail1.asp

A discussion of the huji (or hukou 户口) system can be found at Hukou System. Chinese residents should go to their hukou for all notarial documents (birth, divorce, and/or single certificate, and police records). For the police record, one obtained at the hukou will cover all of China.

A notarial document will be in the standard white notarial booklet, have an official red seal, an English translation, and an attestation to the true translation.

Note that police records and single certificates are valid for one year from the date of notarization. Others are valid indefinitely.

Marriage certification for I-130 or K-3 must be in the same format.

If ANY document is unobtainable, you should submit a statement of WHY it is unobtainable, and what effort you made to obtain it.

3) Just to confirm, the address we put for the beneficiary and petitioner on the I-130 form is the address that we'll receive the P3 packet? On that note, what's the difference between the P3 and P4 packets?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as we start filing (hopefully in September), and I'll also try to post about my own experiences to help others in the future. Thanks!

Yes - P4 is where you are notified that you are ready to schedule your interview through the CGI-Stanley web site.

• Like 1

Something else to be aware of - the CITIC Banks are sometimes claiming that documents need to be submitted with the 221(g) blue slip denial - THIS IS NOT THE CASE. The CITIC Bank is merely a conduit for document submission to the consulate, and should in no way be controlling the content. The usatraveldocs web site has a document submission form you can use as a cover sheet - http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/DocumentSubmissionLetter_IV.pdf

Welcome to Candle ma'am. White books are the notarized translations. Be sure to send in an evolution of relationship letter telling about your meeting and life together, with your initial application. You only get one time, the initial application, to present evidence. As well, you may want to ask a couple of Chinese friends to write letters attesting to your relationship as they see it. We had Chinese friends write their letters, my wife translated them into English, then she had them copy the English version in their own hand and we put copies of their National ID cards (both sides) on the letter.

Every little bit of evidence helps.

Good luck with the process.

tsap seui

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick replies and the great information and links to others' stories! For this first step, can I get the marriage certificate "white books" and the apartment contracts translated and notarized at the Gong Zheng Chu in Beijing, or does it need to be where we registered the marriage? (Henan Province) I'm a bit worried when it comes to prepping for the interview and getting the Birth Certificate (which my husband doesn't have, but we need to get the notarized document) and Police Certificate because we'll have to do it in a small town in Henan, and I'm sure they've never had to do one before.

If he's lived in Beijing for 10 years, does he also need a Police Certificate from a Beijing police station? (or Gong Zheng Chu?)

Thanks for the quick replies and the great information and links to others' stories! For this first step, can I get the marriage certificate "white books" and the apartment contracts translated and notarized at the Gong Zheng Chu in Beijing, or does it need to be where we registered the marriage? (Henan Province) I'm a bit worried when it comes to prepping for the interview and getting the Birth Certificate (which my husband doesn't have, but we need to get the notarized document) and Police Certificate because we'll have to do it in a small town in Henan, and I'm sure they've never had to do one before.

If he's lived in Beijing for 10 years, does he also need a Police Certificate from a Beijing police station? (or Gong Zheng Chu?)

Yes, ma'am. Like tsap says, "White books are the notarized translations." They include the notarial translation and attestation which is what is required.

You do NOT need the white book format for other documents, such as the apartment contract

A notarial document will be in the standard white notarial booklet, have an official red seal, an English translation, and an attestation to the true translation.

Note that police records and single certificates must be in the white book notarial format, and are valid for one year from the date of notarization. Others are valid indefinitely.

If ANY document is unobtainable, you should submit a statement of WHY it is unobtainable, and what effort you made to obtain it.

Sample letter of attestation (for a non-professional translation of a non-required document (such as your apt. contract):

Telephone:

Date of Translation

E-mail:

Qualifications of the translator:

I, hereby, attest that to the best of my knowledge and ability, the translation of the consent and/or other relevant document(s) from [specify language] to English for the attached document is complete and accurate.

Signature of Translator

ONE police report covers all of China - additional reports from other cities are not needed.

Most people go to their hometown hukou - however, I've heard others say that they were able to obtain the necessary documents elsewhere, as long as they had the hukou book in their possession.

Note: K-3 is NOT an option in DCF cases the visa type is CR-1 if married less than two years, or IR-1 if marriage is or will be more than 2 years upon entry to the USA in the visa.

Just a note of clarification.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to figure out where in Beijing to get the 结婚公证书, or the wedding white book notarized translation. We got registered in Henan, but I've heard that I can still get the white book in Beijing. Can anyone confirm if that's true?

Also, if anyone got the white book (for marriage certificate) in Beijing, can you tell me where to get it? I went to the Beijing Fangyuan Notary Public office today and was told that they don't do Chinese to English translations, only other languages to Chinese. I need to get this done sometime this week, any advice on where to go would help, thanks!

I'm trying to figure out where in Beijing to get the 结婚公证书, or the wedding white book notarized translation. We got registered in Henan, but I've heard that I can still get the white book in Beijing. Can anyone confirm if that's true?

Also, if anyone got the white book (for marriage certificate) in Beijing, can you tell me where to get it? I went to the Beijing Fangyuan Notary Public office today and was told that they don't do Chinese to English translations, only other languages to Chinese. I need to get this done sometime this week, any advice on where to go would help, thanks!

Chinese Notarial Documents - see DOS China Reciprocity Schedule

NOTE: If the link is broken, try http://travel.state..../fees_3272.html or go to http://travel.state.gov/ and search for "Reciprocity by Country" (they seem to change this periodically)

Most of the documents needed can be obtained from one of China's Notarial Offices (Gong Zheng Chu). All Chinese documentation to be used abroad is processed through the notary offices and issued in the form of notarial certificates. Notarial offices are located in all major Chinese cities and in rural county seats

The documents required are the GongZhengShu 公证书

Sample application for documents (your province or hukou may vary):

http://www.bnpo.gov....72115331419.doc

http://www.bnpo.gov....ide/detail1.asp

A discussion of the huji (or hukou 户口) system can be found at Hukou System. Chinese residents should go to their hukou for all notarial documents (birth, divorce, and/or single certificate, and police records). For the police record, one obtained at the hukou will cover all of China.

Yes, you should be able to get the white book certification done at any GongZhengChu, with your red book marriage certification and your hukou book, if they require it.

Thank you guys for all your quick responses so far! I have a few more questions:

1) For initial I-130 filing in Beijing, do I need to bring the beneficary's (my Chinese husband's) birth certificate?? Based on my research thus far (such as people's cover letters and what they brought to the I-130) and an info sheet from the US Embassy, I thought that I don't need the beneficiary's birth certificate until the interview in Guangzhou. Please please confirm this as soon as possible.

2) Do both the birth certificate and police certificate (my husband's) need to be translated into English? Can I do that at any notary public?

3) What exactly do I need to send back with the P3 packet? I know that I have to prepare the I-864 and I-864A, but do I need to send that with the P3, or do I just have my husband bring it into the interview in Guangzhou?

4) What is P4?

Thanks so much in advance. I know there are a lot of questions. Hopefully I'll be able to pay it forward and answer other people's questions once I get through this process!

4) Will the documents I include with the initial I-130 filing be sent to Guangzhou? The reason I ask is because I read that we'll need to bring a certified copy of our marriage certificates (and translated) to the interview. However, if we're already including that in the I-130 packet, do we need to have an additional official copy for the interview? Do I need to pay the notary public for another two translated certifications or can I just photocopy the translated and certified marriage certificates from the first time around?

Thank you guys for all your quick responses so far! I have a few more questions:

1) For initial I-130 filing in Beijing, do I need to bring the beneficary's (my Chinese husband's) birth certificate?? Based on my research thus far (such as people's cover letters and what they brought to the I-130) and an info sheet from the US Embassy, I thought that I don't need the beneficiary's birth certificate until the interview in Guangzhou. Please please confirm this as soon as possible. You are correct

2) Do both the birth certificate and police certificate (my husband's) need to be translated into English? Can I do that at any notary public? No notary publics - Most of the documents needed can be obtained from one of China's Notarial Offices (Gong Zheng Chu). All Chinese documentation to be used abroad is processed through the notary offices and issued in the form of notarial certificates. Notarial offices are located in all major Chinese cities and in rural county seats. The white booklet obtained from these offices will include the English language translations, and all necessary seals and certifications. The notarial function in China is different from that of notary publics in the U.S. But, yes, you can probably get this done at any GongZheng Chu in China upon presentation of his hukou booklet (it can't hurt to ask).

3) What exactly do I need to send back with the P3 packet? I know that I have to prepare the I-864 and I-864A, but do I need to send that with the P3, or do I just have my husband bring it into the interview in Guangzhou? The I-864 is usually submitted before the interview - someone else can tell you exactly when

4) What is P4? P4 is your notification by email that you are ready to schedule your interview through the usatravledocs.com web site

Thanks so much in advance. I know there are a lot of questions. Hopefully I'll be able to pay it forward and answer other people's questions once I get through this process!

4) Will the documents I include with the initial I-130 filing be sent to Guangzhou? The reason I ask is because I read that we'll need to bring a certified copy of our marriage certificates (and translated) to the interview. However, if we're already including that in the I-130 packet, do we need to have an additional official copy for the interview? Do I need to pay the notary public for another two translated certifications or can I just photocopy the translated and certified marriage certificates from the first time around?

You do not need to include original documents with the initial I-130 filing. Copies are submitted at this stage. Your husband WILL need to bring the original documents with him to the interview. The visa officer will most likely look at the originals and hand them back.

But, yes, your entire case file is forwarded by the Beijing USCIS office to the Guangzhou consulate.