Interview Completed and Passed - Now Hurry Up and Wait

Ah - USCIS - ya gotta love 'em - at least they are consistent - consistently a pain in the keester.

So we schlepped the four plus hours over to Memphis on Sunday. Li had her appointment for the naturalization interview Monday (today) at noon. She passed everything just fine. Now we have to wait "at least 90 days or so" for an appointment letter for an oath ceremony. And get this - the ceremony will either be in Memphis (four plus hours), Knoxville (3 hours), Chattanooger (2 1/2 hours) or - can you believe this - GREENVILLE SOUTH CAROFRIGGINLINA!!!!!!!!! ( eight hours). Why the hell they send folks from Tennessee to South Carolina is beyond me.

Like everything else, from the time we sent the first forms in way back in September of 2001, until today, it has been a waiting game. The good part is that after the oath, we never have to see these folks again.

The guy that interviewed Li was a surly fellow whose body language indicated he had rather be anywhere else doing anything else other than his job. He had her in and out in about eight minutes. He asked her if the U.S. went to war with "her country," and the U.S. asked her to help in the war effort against her homeland, would she do so? Li started to answer and he barked "Yes or No - only answer yes or no." Of course she said yes. I understand the loyalty bit, but in some ways I think that question was a tad over the top.

On a positive note, we stayed at a small Holiday Inn on the campus of the University of Memphis. It was just superb in every way. A nice suite, well-appointed and very comfortable. The service was impeccable. It is part of the university's School of Hospitality and Resort Management. And get this, after our discount it was only 93 bucks. Not bad at all. Holiday Inn was founded by Kemmons Wilson, who is from Memphis. The second floor has a lobby area with a lot of historical stuff from Holiday Inn's history, etc. If you are ever in Memphis, I highly recommend this place. Plus, the campus is nice to walk around in. Li and I had a long stroll last night.

Oh well, as usual, now we wait......tick tock, tick tock, tick tock......

Congrats on passing the interview, Mick and Li. It seems the process over there is much faster than my area. I had my fingerprint done in the beginning of June, and now it is the middle of July, I still have not got anything from USCIS. Congrats to you guys again!

Ruby

• Like 1

In my wife's case the interview was at the field office in Buffalo NY about 70 min away, and oath was a few weeks later at the City Courthouse in Rochester NY, perhaps 10 min from home. Normally oath is done near home so that friends and family can witness without having to go a long distance.

You would think the oath for you would be in Huntsville.

• Like 1

In my wife's case the interview was at the field office in Buffalo NY about 70 min away, and oath was a few weeks later at the City Courthouse in Rochester NY, perhaps 10 min from home. Normally oath is done near home so that friends and family can witness without having to go a long distance.

You would think the oath for you would be in Huntsville.

Huntsville would be the most logical place, for certain. It is just south of where we live. I guess, however, because we live about a six-iron across the state line in Tennessee, we can't use Huntsville. They basically said that where she would take the oath is dependent upon who accumulates a crowd first. I sure hope it's not Greenville.

Yep, I did a little reading and USCIS does them either at a USCIS office or Judicially in a court house.

I have read of a few, that ask about the oath on same day as passing the test, and in many cases USCIS does them that way too.

Yep, I did a little reading and USCIS does them either at a USCIS office or Judicially in a court house.

I have read of a few, that ask about the oath on same day as passing the test, and in many cases USCIS does them that way too.

Yes, we asked about that (giving her the oath the same day). They refused, stating that it was "not their policy" to do that. I have heard of some folks getting it done, but I guess it depends on the particular USCIS office.

Yes, we asked about that (giving her the oath the same day). They refused, stating that it was "not their policy" to do that. I have heard of some folks getting it done, but I guess it depends on the particular USCIS office.

I love living in Portland. We have a USCIS office downtown a 15 minute drive from home. Here if your interview is in the morning the oath ceremony is that afternoon. If your interview is in the afternoon it's the next day. Bing's interview was in the morning and lasted about 15 minutes. Afterward we went window shopping in Chinatown, had lunch in a Chinese restaurant then came back for the oath ceremony. Start to finish maybe 5 hours. The main post office where you get passports is 2 blocks from the USCIS office. We went there right after the ceremony and applied for her passport. About 20 blocks from there is the Social Security office where we went next to notify them of her change in status. Knocked it all out in one day.

I can only dream of such a blessing, Carl. Portland sounds like a little bit of Heaven as far as USCIS issues are concerned. Tennerbama, however, is more like Purgatory. <_<

Well at least after all this you will finally have the USCIS monkey off your backs.

• Like 1

I can only dream of such a blessing, Carl. Portland sounds like a little bit of Heaven as far as USCIS issues are concerned. Tennerbama, however, is more like Purgatory. <_<

Well at least after all this you will finally have the USCIS monkey off your backs.

Indeed we will, Dan - and what a blessing that will be. Even now, it's all over but the shoutin' - er - the oath taking I mean. :happydance:

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Li received her notification of oath ceremony letter today. She will take part in a ceremony in Knoxville, which on a good day we can reach in under four hours. Most times, it is right at the four hour mark. At least it ain't Greenville, South Carolina. The ceremony will take place on August 23, so they gave us a little over three weeks notice.

After this, no more USCIS. You can't imagine how thrilled we are about that.

• Like 2

Really exciting Mick. I am very happy for you and your family. A big day indeed!! I'll bet your wife is so happy.

Lifed is good.

tsap seui