Birth certificate returned after interview?

No, the consulate tends to keep it.

My wife got two, one for consulate and another to bring to the USA.

They kept my wife's birth certificate at her interview. When she went to get them the first time I had her buy 3 of them.

Good luck with her interview.

tsap seui

thanks, it's a long ways back to her hometown. The consulates have notaries I wonder if they could issue a certified true copy (if the visa is approved of course)??

You might check with a CHINESE notarial office there in Guangzhou, if you have her hukou book with you. The consulate can't certify a Chinese document for International usage, but the notarization might be good enough to get you by if you want to try that.

Jiaying got by without ANY extra copies, but it's probably best to have one handy.

I'll say it's best. Wenyan had to show her BC to get a learners permit in PA, as well as to get a VA medical card so she can go to the VA doctors, and she had to show it for her military ID card (like any American veteran who retired out of the military...and has saved her hundreds in discounts at many stores) and she had to show it to the SSA to get her part of my SSDI.

Our son Fengqi had to show his for the local high school here, and he'll need to show it again when he turns 18 so he can get his own VA medical card and military ID card, and to get his learner's permit, and yet again to start his part of my SSDI benefit.

They would have had one huge hassle and missed out on many things without those BCs. Even an American can't get a driver's license in PA without a BC. There were some classes Wenyan thought about taking and they required a BC also.

Ya never know what your wife may want to do or get involved in that may require a BC. It may well be well worth the effort to get another one.

tsap seui