I need an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) for my income tax. The form was denied. It seems fairly simple. Am I missing something? My wife sent a notarized copy of her passport which I sent in with the form W-7. Has any one else had this problem they resolved? There is no irs office around here to go to and the phone numbers I call don't help. I read the instructions for the form and it seems like they should have accepted it. Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) for my income tax. The form was denied. It seems fairly simple. Am I missing something? My wife sent a notarized copy of her passport which I sent in with the form W-7. Has any one else had this problem they resolved? There is no irs office around here to go to and the phone numbers I call don't help. I read the instructions for the form and it seems like they should have accepted it. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes - it may be certified by the issuing authority (unfortunately, this does not apply in China), or by a consular official. The procedure was changed as of late last year.

You must also submit it with your tax return - if it's submitted separately, it will be denied on that basis.

I'm Also going to jump in here with the OP with the the same question.

As many know I'm helping my sister in law with her new husband(Bob, My friend) and Tax season will be coming up soon.

Back in 06 when i did the ITIN for my wife (Hong) it was no problem and i do understand things have changed.

Dan and or Randy, you guys are the man and are always up to date on these things and we all know you guys work very hard to keep up dated.

The OP and I and many, if not all new members will be going down this road in the coming months.

Could we clarified what needs to be done and how to go about it?

Do our SO's need to get this done in china?

Or it this something we, the husbands need to get done in the states?

If our SO's need to take care of this in china at a consulate do we need there original passport or can it be a GOOD photo copy?

Back in my days it was easy but now today it is not.

Mike

You basically need to SHOW the actual passport to a certifying authority, who will then make a copy of it and certify that it is a true copy of the original.

Either you or your wife can do this.

The certifying authority for a Chinese passport is either an IRS office in the U.S., or a U.S consulate (or the IRS office in Beijing) abroad

I just finished getting my wife's Chinese passport notarized by the US Consulate in Beijing last week for the ITIN, and will be submitting my tax returns for 2012 in the next week or so (yes, extended until Oct 2013). I'll update everyone on the outcome.

Wish us luck!

I just finished getting my wife's Chinese passport notarized by the US Consulate in Beijing last week for the ITIN, and will be submitting my tax returns for 2012 in the next week or so (yes, extended until Oct 2013). I'll update everyone on the outcome.

Wish us luck!

Good luck!

How did you go about getting your wife's Chinese passport notarized - just going to the Consulate here in Beijing and saying you want it notarized - simple as that?

Beyond the notarization process, for filing taxes and acquiring the ITIN, you file your taxes as normal (status as single), but include the W-7.....? After the W-7 is processed, file an amended return and change status to married and add wife's info? After the W-7 has been processed, how are you informed of the ITIN? This could prove slightly problematic for people like us currently living in China and without a convenient way to receive mail back in the US.

Hmmmm, sorry for all the questions, just trying to wrap my head around this whole process..........

Thanks!

Dan~

Wish us luck!

Good luck!

How did you go about getting your wife's Chinese passport notarized - just going to the Consulate here in Beijing and saying you want it notarized - simple as that?

Beyond the notarization process, for filing taxes and acquiring the ITIN, you file your taxes as normal (status as single), but include the W-7.....? After the W-7 is processed, file an amended return and change status to married and add wife's info? After the W-7 has been processed, how are you informed of the ITIN? This could prove slightly problematic for people like us currently living in China and without a convenient way to receive mail back in the US.

Hmmmm, sorry for all the questions, just trying to wrap my head around this whole process..........

Thanks!

Dan~

Be careful there - if your filing status is single, you have no need for an ITIN, and the W-7 might be denied on that basis. Can't say that I know for sure, but I expect it would be.

You may only file the W-7 with a joint return - fill in "applied for" where it asks for her SS number AND include the W-7 and all documentation. No amended return is needed, since they will add the number to the file. Simply follow the instructions for the W-7.

Not notarization, but certification is called for - the embassy/consulates should know what to do there, so no problem.

I'm not sure how (other than mail) they would notify you of the new ITIN - you will need it for the next year's return.

Wish us luck!

Good luck!

Thanks!

Dan~

Be careful there - if your filing status is single, you have no need for an ITIN, and the W-7 might be denied on that basis. Can't say that I know for sure, but I expect it would be.

You may only file the W-7 with a joint return - fill in "applied for" where it asks for her SS number AND include the W-7 and all documentation. No amended return is needed, since they will add the number to the file. Simply follow the instructions for the W-7.

Not notarization, but certification is called for - the embassy/consulates should know what to do there, so no problem.

I'm not sure how (other than mail) they would notify you of the new ITIN - you will need it for the next year's return.

Thanks Randy! This definitely helps.

I will add certification is not a walk-in service, you need to make an appointment first, visit the consulate or Embassy website's Americam services page for details, I linked to the Guangzhou page in my prior post.

Here's a new question.

What if there is children involed?

Children of the Chinese spouse.

Would it be the same process and or added to the U.S. husband's tax return?

Yes, same process to get ITIN to claim children on the return.

Note, this is what un-documented aliens in the USA were doing to get child tax credits to the tune of +4 Billion a year, and caused the IRS to tighten up the requirements to requiring Certified ID in order to get ITIN for spouse and dependents that are not LPR and do not have SSN

But you cannot claim a deduction or exemption for foreign step-children

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc857.html

If the ITIN is for a dependent, the documentation must prove that the dependent is a U.S. National or a resident of the United States, Mexico, Canada, Republic of Korea (South Korea) or India. However, if you are living abroad and have adopted, or have had legally placed in your home pending an adoption, a foreign child, that child may be eligible for an ITIN.

Yep, you can't claim stepchildren. I know, you can claim the mother but not your stepchildren seems weird, but it's the law. Been there, studied the law...LOL

tsap seui

Thank you. I guess I need to ask my wife to get a certified copy of her passport. I had her get a notarized copy and send that in with my taxes. It looked legal to me, it was in a folder with several other sheets of paper. I just hope I can explain it to her. We both use translation programs. Although it has improved. I used to use Google translate and paste Chinese in the video window. But for months now I type in English and she translates it into Chinese. This time I am going to put my address down as her mailing address. The IRS said I did not respond to a form they sent which I never got and nether did she. The instructions did say certified copies when I just reread it, I did not know until I asked here that this must be done at the US consulate. My wife is not knowledgeable on the computer but maybe I can make the appointment for her online. I still don't understand a lot of stuff. I forgot what the word for a notarized (or certified) copy of a certified copy is but I had to do that to get my single paperwork to get married in China.

The US consulate in Guangzhou is moving July 22 to another address. We found this out after we made her visa interview appointment. The rules changed April 1 this year. For us I called the National Visa Center to find out when they sent the paperwork to China. It took almost three weeks and then they sent an email to my wife with the new appointment instructions found on the NVC website.We had to register with an email address and password and then make the appointment. Before you could make the appointment you had to put where you were to pick up the documents. I had to send in our original marriage books so I hope she gets those back. I have read online where they give documents to the wrong people. My wife wanted to pick up the documents where she lived but it looks like they have several address in the towns where the US consulates are. Once she agreed to an address to pick up the documents I was able to make the appointment for the visa interview online. I think they used to send mail to her mailing address. I am adding this for information. So far it has been over a year married and living in different countries.

Back to the IRS and the ITIN, I read online I have three years to amend my filing status. The taxes were better filing married jointly than married single. But without her ITIN the IRS has not accepted my income tax (four or five months now). You can not efile without a ITIN and you can not efile the same year you get an ITIN. I think I can amend my taxes and file married separately if I have to. I am getting my information from posts online about this. Thanks again for the help.