Arrested, now what?

danb

Hello. Maybe I have been watching a little too much TV lately. They were talking about Zimmerman being given his Miranda rights. It got me thinking. If I ever got arrested in China , what should I do? What kind of rights do I have. Do I get a free phone call. Actually do i even know how to make a phone call i China. All of my phones number that I use are pre-program in to my cell. Perhaps not a normally question one considers but perhaps a question that one should. What do you all think? Danb

You're at the mercy of the authorities. Don't do anything that might get yourself arrested. And don't count on being allowed to use your cell phone (or any other phone) if you are.

They may not want to mess with a foreigner who might sic an embassy on them, but you can easily be deported. I've heard of people who were for not paying their traffic tickets.

Always carry at least a copy of your bio page and current visa page from your passport. For my first few weeks here I carried my passport with me. It was getting the crap beat out of it so I just said the screw it and now have a copy with me.

I would imagine that you would have to do something really stupid to get arrested here.

If I were you I would be more concerned about crossing a street than getting arrested. My first week here was a sharp learning curve.

There is a scam here where a cop will stop you and ask to see your passport, if you do not have it they tell you there is a fine you have to pay. If this happens just ask to be taken to the local police station. The cop was just looking for a quick buck at your expense He/she will back off if you ask to be taken in.

I normally don't see many police in Nanning. You know the guys in lite blue shirts and dark pants, Once in a great while I will see a Policeman with a police motorcycle. Normally I see them at a motor accident. Sometimes I see the small white and blue police cars with the Chinese characters 公安 (Gong An) print on the side of them . No big Crown Vic's for them. I am not sure about the guys in the olive green shirts. I was thinking that they were soldiers but perhaps I am wrong about that. ( I just goggled , "Chinese police" and was looking at the photo's ).

I do carry a copy of my passport and usually my cell phone when I am out and about. I have never been asked for my papers. I don't look for trouble but one never knows when it will find us. I don't drive and don't use the money exchangers outside the front of some banks. So far I have been very lucky in China and never been a victim. I feel pretty safe when I am in China except perhaps when I am walking downtown in the crowds.

Best case scenario I would probably try to contact my Lao Po or one of her relatives. After that I would probably try to contact the US Consulate in Guangzhou. Now what is their number? I really should put that in my cell phone favorites. Danb

• Like 1

Always carry at least a copy of your bio page and current visa page from your passport. For my first few weeks here I carried my passport with me. It was getting the crap beat out of it so I just said the screw it and now have a copy with me.

I would imagine that you would have to do something really stupid to get arrested here.

If I were you I would be more concerned about crossing a street than getting arrested. My first week here was a sharp learning curve.

There is a scam here where a cop will stop you and ask to see your passport, if you do not have it they tell you there is a fine you have to pay. If this happens just ask to be taken to the local police station. The cop was just looking for a quick buck at your expense He/she will back off if you ask to be taken in.

I think this pretty well says it best, but the Consulate's emergency contact information is at

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/service/emergency-contact.html

Randy , a couple of questions. I may have asked this question before but should I be able to edit my older post. I was looking around the Guangzhou Consulate. The new location looks nice except for perhaps the 4 story building labeled # 4. I hope that is not the entrance. On that site I can not find an address. It mentioned the Tianhe section of Guangzhou and that it is a block away from the river. The only address I saw mention is on Shamian island and an address in Tianyu? Never mind I found it after clicking on " making an appointment" :

Guangzhou (GUZ)
Through July 12, 2013:
5/F Tian Yu Garden (II Phase)
136-142 Lin He Zhong Lu
Tianhe District, Guangzhou
Beginning July 23, 2013:
43 Hua Jiu Road
Zhujiang New Town
It sure doesn't seem like it as it out there in plain sight, does it? Thank you for the phone numbers. I will put it on my cell phone and also on the copy of my passport. Danb

Randy , a couple of questions. I may have asked this question before but should I be able to edit my older post. I was looking around the Guangzhou Consulate. The new location looks nice except for perhaps the 4 story building labeled # 4. I hope that is not the entrance. On that site I can not find an address. It mentioned the Tianhe section of Guangzhou and that it is a block away from the river. The only address I saw mention is on Shamian island and an address in Tianyu? Never mind I found it after clicking on " making an appointment" :

Guangzhou (GUZ)
Through July 12, 2013:
5/F Tian Yu Garden (II Phase)
136-142 Lin He Zhong Lu
Beginning July 23, 2013:
43 Hua Jiu Road
Zhujiang New Town
It sure doesn't seem like it as it out there in plain sight, does it? Thank you for the phone numbers. I will put it on my cell phone and also on the copy of my passport. Danb

No - they are still hardly even admitting to the move, except for the American Citizen Services, and the Adoption units. USCIS Guangzhou has also admitted over the telephone that they're moving.

But the move seems to basically be a poorly kept secret - some have even gotten interview appointments in August, where the verification email still shows the old address, and the visa units haven't actually announced whether they're moving or not.

I do not know

Be careful - that may be a scam. If you don't have your passport with you, they may demand a fine. If so, tell them you'll pay it at the police station.

I carry my driver's license with me as my only ID, although when we travel, my wife keeps my passport and her ID together.