Can't get SSN with K3 Visa

Don't take the local office's word for it. Call the number below.

How To Get A Number And Card

To get an original number and card, you'll need to complete an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5), and show documents that prove your age, identity, U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status.

To get an application:

Use www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.html on the Internet.

Call 1-800-772-1213.

Or, visit a local office.

Contact your local Social Security office or call our toll-free number 1-800-772-1213 before you visit the office. Tell them what documents you have. That way you won't have to make a second trip.

Remember, there is no charge to get a Social Security card. This service is FREE.

You can find this info at the SS web site.

The I-765 can be downloaded from the USCIS website under "forms and fees". It is eleven pages; first 10 are instructions and the last sheet is the application. The fee is $120 and for K3 it is sent to Chicago.

I filed for my wife (I-765)in Dec. 15, received an I-797C form on Jan. 7 to schedule an appointment. The appointment was Feb 6 and it consisted of taken one photo and one fingerprint and a long drive in the snow and ice down the West Virginia turnpike...lol. They said it would take around 90 days to get the card in the mail but I'm hoping it will be sooner.

So a wife CAN'T work, but a fiancee CAN work.  Really makes a lot of sense (not!).  My wife isn't going to work this year anyway, so it's not an emergency, but it doesn't make sense that the fiancee can and a wife can't.  Whatever.

Thanks for all the information.

John

Not exactly. Fiance cannot work either until she gets the EAD. Only difference is fiance can get SSN without EAD, wife cannot. Either way, neither wife nor fiance can legally work without EAD.

So a wife CAN'T work, but a fiancee CAN work.  Really makes a lot of sense (not!).  My wife isn't going to work this year anyway, so it's not an emergency, but it doesn't make sense that the fiancee can and a wife can't.  Whatever.

Thanks for all the information.

John

Not exactly. Fiance cannot work either until she gets the EAD. Only difference is fiance can get SSN without EAD, wife cannot. Either way, neither wife nor fiance can legally work without EAD.

Maybe that's the trade-off between K1 and K3....fiance can get SSN without EAD, wife cannot....but....wife can travel abroad with K3 visa at her discretion, fiance cannot.

Sounds like 'wife' got the better end of that deal!............ :D