Wife's appointment is on the 27th. Feel like we're in pretty good shape and have everything just about lined up, but in reading back through all the threads here to ensure we've crossed our t's and dotted our i's i noticed something...

It seems like the vast majority of people have co-sponsors on the I-864. Is that an unofficial requirement or something?

I'm now living stateside (DCF'd but since then have taken a job back in the US), fully employed and make a salary that far exceeds poverty guidelines. Based on my tax returns and current salary (pay stubs + letter of employment as proof), I can adequately support her without issue.

As such, I had no plan of getting any sort of co-sponsor. But again, after reading through everything, I'm wondering if that's somethign I should reconsider.

Any thoughts or advice on this?

Thanks,

Charlie

Wife's appointment is on the 27th. Feel like we're in pretty good shape and have everything just about lined up, but in reading back through all the threads here to ensure we've crossed our t's and dotted our i's i noticed something...

It seems like the vast majority of people have co-sponsors on the I-864. Is that an unofficial requirement or something?

I'm now living stateside (DCF'd but since then have taken a job back in the US), fully employed and make a salary that far exceeds poverty guidelines. Based on my tax returns and current salary (pay stubs + letter of employment as proof), I can adequately support her without issue.

As such, I had no plan of getting any sort of co-sponsor. But again, after reading through everything, I'm wondering if that's somethign I should reconsider.

Any thoughts or advice on this?

Thanks,

Charlie

This would seem to pretty well cover it, unless you have some reason to be concerned.

The concern of the consulate is that she show that she will have adequate support in the states.

No need for a joint sponsor, your income is adequate to sponsor on your own.

Joint sponsor only comes up if your income is not adequate, or would end upon spouse getting a visa as in the case where a US citizen petitioner does not have a job lined up in the states.

They are concerned with how the immigrant will be supported AFTER they arrive, since you already have a well paying job in the states, this is not an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

The missus has her interview tomorrow - keep your fingers crossed for us!!

Question... I'm assuming that I'm not allowed to go with her beyond document do off... is that correct?

Assuming yes, any advice on how to kill the nerve wracking hours while I wait? Is there a Starbucks or anything nearby?

Thanks

The missus has her interview tomorrow - keep your fingers crossed for us!!

Question... I'm assuming that I'm not allowed to go with her beyond document do off... is that correct?

Assuming yes, any advice on how to kill the nerve wracking hours while I wait? Is there a Starbucks or anything nearby?

Thanks

You are allowed in the Consulate at any time - if you want to go in, however, you will need to use your American passport (although you could subsequently hand it off to her in the hallway which connects the American Citizen Services to the visa processing - the bathrooms are there). But yes, she will enter by herself.

There is a coffee shop on the first floor, and another on the fourth floor, where you can see those who are leaving the consulate (the coffee shop is between the entrance and exit elevators). The fourth floor coffee shop is a Starbucks clone called Chamee Coffee - the first cup is expensive, but I hear refills are reasonably priced.

I believe there are a few coffee shops outside the building across the street including a Starbucks. Some have waited there.

From looking at the map, the closest Starbucks is in the ground floor mall in the CITIC building just down the street from the consulate.

http://goo.gl/maps/wjPFT

In my wife's case I waited in the expensive coffee shop on the forth floor.

• 3 months later...

Along these lines, if I am currently in China but planning on transferring back to my US job, would I need to write a letter explaining the situation? Well above the poverty level that might necessitate a joint sponsor otherwise. Thanks!

They need to UNDERSTAND that you WILL have a job back in the U.S. How do you plan to demonstrate this to the VO's satisfaction?

Are you above the poverty line NOW and will continue with a similar salary?

Hi Randy,

Yes, I transferred into China with the same company, and under the same salary scale (well above poverty level). I guess the question is what kind of document could I submit to explain this, since I won't be present? I can write a statement on company letterhead, business card, even my driver's license is at my old US-based address.

Thanks!

Sammy

Hi Randy,

Yes, I transferred into China with the same company, and under the same salary scale (well above poverty level). I guess the question is what kind of document could I submit to explain this, since I won't be present? I can write a statement on company letterhead, business card, even my driver's license is at my old US-based address.

Thanks!

Sammy

A letter of employment. Get your boss to acknowledge your job and salary, and that it will continue when you are back in the states.

All this goes to establish a domicile back in the states, which is VERY important to your case. You are WAY ahead of most DCF applicants in that respect.

HI Randy,

I already have this signed by my employer, explaining my salary for the year to date. So I should revise the document to state that I'll be returning to my job in the US, then. Ok, thanks for the input!

Sammy

I will add to this, since your employer is in the states, and your working in China is for the US based employer, this is strong domicile evidence that working overseas was a temporary condition, thus no loss of domicile, also an employer letter tends to show will be employed after sponsoring an immigrant.

The usual income evidence attached to an I-864 are:

• Tax Transcripts or Returns (1040+W2s+1099s) (Shows past income history)
  • Recent pay stubs or bank statements showing deposits, (Shows current income)
  • Employer letter (Shows future income stability)

Lastly, since your income will continue after returning to the states and will be of a sufficient level, then no joint sponsor should be required.

• Like 1

HI Randy,

I already have this signed by my employer, explaining my salary for the year to date. So I should revise the document to state that I'll be returning to my job in the US, then. Ok, thanks for the input!

Sammy

I will add to this, since your employer is in the states, and your working in China is for the US based employer, this is strong domicile evidence that working overseas was a temporary condition, thus no loss of domicile, also an employer letter tends to show will be employed after sponsoring an immigrant.

The usual income evidence attached to an I-864 are:

• Tax Transcripts or Returns (1040+W2s+1099s) (Shows past income history)
  • Recent pay stubs or bank statements showing deposits, (Shows current income)
  • Employer letter (Shows future income stability)

Lastly, since your income will continue after returning to the states and will be of a sufficient level, then no joint sponsor should be required.

Ok, got it. Looks like we're set then. Thanks for the feedback!

• 1 month later...

I tried to forego the employer letter and at the interview my husband was required to submit "offer of employment for petitioner" for his visa to be issued.

The employment letter wasn't an issue since I will be working for the same firm once we move to the States and I should have pro-actively submitted with the I-864. But assumed that since I included tax transcripts, evidence of US domilce included US house deed, bank statements and evidence of funds to support both of us for years without employment and our China property deed that would be sufficient but it was not.