Hi All, My wife and I were married May 2011 in China. Shortly after I returned I lost my job. I finally found a permanent position in Jan 2012. My finances did not recover until August 2012. I started become ill in September of 2012 and finally had an operation for removal of a tumor in Jan 2013. I am now recovered both financially and medically, but a lot of time has elapsed since May2011. My wife and I are concerned that immigration will hold this against us. I was wondering if any advise you can give me. I am also applying for my stepson, (he is 15 years old). Do I need to supply a separate cover letter for him or should I list his documents on the same cover letter? Regards, Chris

It all depends on your relationship prior to marriage. Were you together long prior to marriage? Also you will need to provide evidence of ongoing relationship, email logs, sample emails, chat logs, phone records etc. Any trips over there in the past 2 years, you need to document that too.

I would attache an EOR letter explaining prior relationships, how you met your wife, and document courtship, and why you have taken nearly 2 years to file the petitions.

Since you will be married longer than 2 years at the time of visa interview the visa types will be IR-1 for spouse and IR-2 for step child, and will result in 10 year un-conditional green-cards.

Yes you can use one cover letter detailing the two petitions being filed, treat them as two petitions and do not share any evidence among them for example marriage certificate, one a copy should be attached to each petition, and the step child's petition will also need a copy of step child's birth certificate attached, I would bind them separately and send together in same envelope.

You will find more information by clicking the I-130 and other tags listed at the top of this thread.

It all depends on your relationship prior to marriage. Were you together long prior to marriage? Also you will need to provide evidence of ongoing relationship, email logs, sample emails, chat logs, phone records etc. Any trips over there in the past 2 years, you need to document that too.

I would attache an EOR letter explaining prior relationships, how you met your wife, and document courtship, and why you have taken nearly 2 years to file the petitions.

Be careful here, since there's not really a whole lot to explain. You don't want to come across as if you're making excuses. An EOR letter needs to help paint a picture of a loving relationship, not introduce any doubt.

Since you will be married longer than 2 years at the time of visa interview the visa types will be IR-1 for spouse and IR-2 for step child, and will result in 10 year un-conditional green-cards.

Yes you can use one cover letter detailing the two petitions being filed, treat them as two petitions and do not share any evidence among them for example marriage certificate, one a copy should be attached to each petition, and the step child's petition will also need a copy of step child's birth certificate attached, I would bind them separately and send together in same envelope.

You will find more information by clicking the I-130 and other tags listed at the top of this thread.

These seem contradictory - why not provide a separate cover letter for each? You can include an overall (third) cover letter to simply point out the relationship.