Residence Permit for an EX-Pat and work.

Fu Lai

I hope to get an endless residence permit that allows me to stay and work in China when my contract ends at my current work. I already have with my Z visa and residence permit at my current job. I got married in December and I'm living and working in China. I would like my residence permit to not depend on my current job and allow me to change jobs without affecting my working residence permit. Any input?

I hope to get an endless residence permit that allows me to stay and work in China when my contract ends at my current work. I already have with my Z visa and residence permit at my current job. I got married in December and I'm living and working in China. I would like my residence permit to not depend on my current job and allow me to change jobs without affecting my working residence permit. Any input?

What you are talking about is the "Chinese green card", which you may be eligible for after living in China for five years. As with ALL "in China" visa questions, the only place to get the correct answer is at your PSB.

In the meantime, you are eligible for one year residence permits, work visas tied to a specific employer, or one year L-visa. The residence permit or L-visa issued by the PSB for spouses come with unlimited stays.

As always, check with your local PSB for the actual answers.

What you are talking about is the "Chinese green card", which you may be eligible for after living in China for five years. As with ALL "in China" visa questions, the only place to get the correct answer is at your PSB.

In the meantime, you are eligible for one year residence permits, work visas tied to a specific employer, or one year L-visa. The residence permit or L-visa issued by the PSB for spouses come with unlimited stays.

I think the L-visa/residence permit do not allow work, but I can get one that allows me an unlimited stay; but to work here my employer needs to give me a work visa? So to stay here I will be set, just have work through a company that can give me a work visa?

I think the L-visa/residence permit do not allow work, but I can get one that allows me an unlimited stay; but to work here my employer needs to give me a work visa? So to stay here I will be set, just have work through a company that can give me a work visa?

Yes - to work, you need a separate work permit which your employer will keep (for now). The green card no longer requires that.

The 1 year residence permits are usually issued in conjunction with a work permit, at least here in Yulin. With an unlimited stay L-visa, you do not need employment. I've heard that other PSB's will sometimes issue residence permits without a work permit.

The residence permits and L-visas seem to otherwise be equivalent - I'm not aware of any difference.

I don't think the Z-visa is an actual requirement (I've never had one) - but most PSB's seem to require that you leave the country and re-enter on a Z-visa before you can get a work permit. Yulin does not require this (I entered on a regular L-visa from the Houston consulate, and have not had to leave the country, even for a border hop).

Split this from the other thread, the other thread had to do with residence permit and eventually filing for a visa at the consulate for spouse to immigrate to the USA.

This thread has more to do with an EX-Pat remaining in China for the long haul.

Sorry, my question had to do with a residence permit and that was the only existing appropriate thread I found. Correct it did not include going to the USA.

I promise to be more careful in the future to make sure my questions follow the exact --not just general-- scope of the thread.

Split this from the other thread, the other thread had to do with residence permit and eventually filing for a visa at the consulate for spouse to immigrate to the USA.

his thread has more to do with an EX-Pat remaining in China for the long haul.

Sorry, my question had to do with a residence permit and that was the only existing appropriate thread I found. Correct it did not include going to the USA.

I promise to be more careful in the future to make sure my questions follow the exact --not just general-- scope of the thread.

his thread has more to do with an EX-Pat remaining in China for the long haul.

No problem there - Dan's just trying to make things easier to find. Sometimes a new topic is helpful, if it focuses on your specific issue.