Has anyone heard of the word shenghua?

Sometimes when my wife is not feeling well she uses the word "shenghua" to describe what she is feeling. I don't know if my pinyin is correct but I think it has to do with heat rising from the liver or something to do with balance (yin/yang). She is from northern China and it may be a local expresion.

Guest ExChinaExpat

Sometimes when my wife is not feeling well she uses the word "shenghua" to describe what she is feeling. I don't know if my pinyin is correct but I think it has to do with heat rising from the liver or something to do with balance (yin/yang). She is from northern China and it may be a local expresion.

Without the Chinese characters or pinyin with tone markers it's not possible to interpret the meaning. Perhaps you can ask your wife to write the characters for you and then copy and paste them here.

Guest ExChinaExpat

While it's not possible to know the meaning of what's she's saying, she may be using this expression: 深化

There are many characters in China that have very close to the same pronunciation. This particular one means:

Translation

Deepening

Dictionary
deepen: 认识的深化 deepening of cognition; 矛盾的深化 intensification of a contradiction; 友谊的深化 promotion of friendship; 深化改革 deepen the reform (in various fields); intensify the reform; carry out the reform in depth; 深化企业改革 intensify the reform of enterprises; deepen enterprise reform

上火 shang huo, it is basically what you write, excessive heat, with associated meanings in Chinese medicine.

She basically means she needs to 降火 "jiang huo" or lower her internal heat... Maybe you can get her some "Wang Lao Ji" tea ;)

You hit the nail on the head. My wife looked at your reply and said Yes Yes that's it. Thanks. Now to find the tea you mentioned.

:D Make her mad... no way!

BTW... I made her Bush's Beans tonight so she could release some methane which may help. :rolleyes: :crazy:

Edited by mikeymark (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes, my wife has mentioned this though not by it's Chinese term, when ever she or I would get a pimple, or cold sore, she would say body making too much heat.

We in the west consider the cold sore is a mild form of recurring herpees and pimples tend to be an infection caused by germs or dirt getting to pores.

In chinese medicine, one combats 'heat' with 'cooling'. Thus, the cooling teas (like Wang Lao Ji) are common. While there are any number of cooling remedies one could use, chinese may still prefer tea so as to not directly introduce something cold directly into their body. Hot tea, although a cooling one does double duty as it causes one to sweat from the hot temperature but that is still good towards detoxing the body. But thinking anything of a cooling inherent nature.