Received NOA - couple of immediate questions

Received the P3 packet today via snailmail - never got an email.

Documentation seems the same as its always been - no reference to the new USTravelDocs system - everything points to the "old" site and old approach. Not sure if that's because we're in the "old" cases that'll be handled the old way, or if it'll be referenced when we hear back in the P4...

Was the P3 sent via EMS or just plain China Post? Even though we're in Beijing, mail delivery isn't always that quick. EMS seems to be more reliable within China.

Very glad to hear that you got a response within a month - hope that we have the same wait time.

Of course, since we are on the "new" system, it may be a whole different ballgame now.

Edited by lhp (see edit history)

Received our P4 email today. They scheduled the Missus for an interview in GZ on 4/30.

Great in theory, but a few hiccups that've generated an all new set of questions...

- She's currently stateside visiting me, and had planned to stay through 5.12. Even if we dropped everything and rushed to get her back to China within the next couple of days, she'd have to be there and on the ground no later than Monday in order to get a medical exam completed 2 weeks in advance of the interview date (as required per the packet)...

So, question: Is it permissible to request a different appointment date? I'm assuming I'd use the GZ embassy contact form (they didn't link us up at all with USTravelDocs for the appointment itself), explain the situation and ask for something at the end of May. (Appointments are always on Mondays, right?)

On a related note, I was intrigued they'd schedule something for 4/30. I'm assuming everything will be closed 5/1 through the balance of the week... seems like a bad week to do the interview no matter what (and travel to/from GZ would be a nightmare)...?

- Assuming we can get it rescheduled, she'll plan to do the medical exam in BJ when flying back from the US. I've read other reports from folks who've done the medical in BJ, so I'm assuming there's no downside to doing so. Just wanted to make sure I"m not missing anything.

Side note: I feel like in other posts I've seen folks talk about getting the medical in GZ, the day before their interview... but the packet we got states in bold letters that the medical has to be done at least 2 weeks in advance... that new?

- I'm pretty fuzzy on what happens AFTER the interview, particularly with the new system. Assuming all goes well with the interview, do they keep her passport and then send it with visa to one of the blessed CITIC locations? I know no two cases are alike, but does anyone have a sense of how long that takes usually (she's not CCP). I'm trying to get a sense of how long we have to actually be in GZ (particularly since I'm now stateside and will be flying back for all this). It almost seems like you do the medical in advance, go to GZ, have the interview, and boom, are outta there to go home and wait for them to contact you and send something to CITIC (assuming everything goes well)... but I'm just clueless if that's actually how it'll roll.

As usual, appreciate the advice and experiences of others... this site's a blessing!

• Like 1

1) You can contact the consulate and re-schedule the interview appointment. Interviews happen all week, not just Monday.

2) I believe the 2 week in advance to do medical is to avoid any complications.

3) Yes if they have completely switched to new procedures, they will send visa packet and passport to one of the designated CITIC banks for pick up.

In nothing comes up, the typical time after interview tends to be at most a week to get visa packet back.

Be sure to follow the instructions YOU ARE GIVEN. I believe the new procedure will have your wife specify which bank the passport will be delivered to. The old procedure is to mail it via EMS to a specified address.

The new procedures are new as of March 16 - we have very little feedback on these. Please let us know how it goes for you.

Received our P4 email today. They scheduled the Missus for an interview in GZ on 4/30.

What time does it say to report on 4/30? The old two-day system, the first day the appointment was for 12:30 followed by 7:30 the next day. I have seen some indication the new system is a single day.

7:30am report on the 30th. No mention of any other dates/times.

What time does it say to report on 4/30? The old two-day system, the first day the appointment was for 12:30 followed by 7:30 the next day. I have seen some indication the new system is a single day.

7:30am report on the 30th. No mention of any other dates/times.

Sounds like they're back to the single day system.