Received NOA - couple of immediate questions

Was surprised to wake up this morning to an email from USCIS in Beijing with our NOA attached. It's only been 7 working days since I submitted the I-130 in Beijing!!

Anyhow... now my head's spinning, and I have a few immediate questions I'm hoping this group can help with, since I wasn't expecting to hear from them for at least a month.

- I'm now stateside and my wife's back in her hometown (Wuhan). Ideally, we'd like to change the address they mail correspondence to (to Wuhan). Any decent way to do that? Can I just message the GZ consulate via the online form?

- I'm a little confused on who goes to the interview in GZ once its finally scheduled. Is it immigrant (my wife) only, or am I allowed/supposed to go? I thought I'd previously read that only the immigrant goes...

- I keep reading about co-sponsors for affadavits of support. I've just moved back stateside and have a good paying job, well above poverty level. From looking at the I-864, I shouldn't need any kind of co-sponsor, or even need to provide bank info beyond proof of employment and income. That sound about right?

- I "front loaded" my I-130 packet with tons of stuff. Do we need to take that to GZ with us, or will they have it all?

Thanks,

Charlie

1) Wait for NOA2 which indicates approved, once that happens contact GUZ via their online contact form about change of address, however nowadays the consulate has been using email for P3 and P4 instructing to download the P3 forms from their website and print out.

2) Immigrant goes to interview at the consulate, USC cannot attend, they can wait outside if they wish.

3) Yes, no need for a co sponsor, that only comes into play if you do not have a job, and are moving back to the states with your spouse before having secured a job.

4) It is recommended to bring to the consulate any originals of documents that were submitted in photo copy with the I-130, some of the front loading stuff probably wont be needed such as emails, phone logs, correspondence.

• Like 1

Thanks. One more questions (yeah, I know... I'm getting ahead of myself, since they haven't even sent NOA2 and the FOrm 169 yet, but I'm excited and looking online and in these forums)...

Where the 169 says to bring Marital Status certificates - specifically divorce certificates - does it mean HERS, or MINE? i.e. when she goes, is she supposed to bring copies of my divorce from a previous marriage?

Thanks,

Thanks. One more questions (yeah, I know... I'm getting ahead of myself, since they haven't even sent NOA2 and the FOrm 169 yet, but I'm excited and looking online and in these forums)...

Where the 169 says to bring Marital Status certificates - specifically divorce certificates - does it mean HERS, or MINE? i.e. when she goes, is she supposed to bring copies of my divorce from a previous marriage?

Thanks,

It means both, if either person was married before, they will need to see divorce from prior marriages for both persons.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of additional dumb questions (they won't be the last, I'm sure, so apologies in advance):

I've looked around, but is there a glossary/timeline somewhere? I'm unclear on the difference between NOA and NOA2... because everyone's case is kinda different, I'm having a hard time finding a good posting that's a comp...

I received the notice that our petition had been approved and sent to GZ. That = NOA1, I assume. (For the record, never got the snail mailed copy... just email... Embassy says no biggie, so I'm not especially worried)

Waiting for whatever comes next from GZ. The NOA says to allow 2 months... been 1 month and nothing yet.

I know its a YMMV thing, but any thoughts on common wait time between NOA1 and whatever comes next?

Thanks,

Charlie

Look closely at your post and many others, there should be a light underline below any Acronyms, hover a mouse over it and you will get a glossary definition as to what it means.

Anyway:

NOA1 is Notice of Action petition received.

NOA2 is Notice of Action petition approved.

In DCF cases the timeline between the two tends to be less than a month, where they then send case to GUZ for interview.

The process in GUZ has changed drastically the beginning of this month, they should email you instructions to go to a website to do the normal P3 (Gather documents and send them DS-230 and OF-169) and P4 (Schedule interview)

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/immigrant_visas.html

Ok. So I'm not sure I ever got an NOA1, then..?

What I received from DHS in Beijing said "The visa petition you filed has been approved." It then says that the immigrant who I petitioned on behalf of will be contacted by the GZ embassy.

So... was that the NOA2 that I received?

Assuming yes, any thoughts on how long before I should receive the P3? Its been a month. I'm hoping they'll email, since China Post doesn't seem to be working out so hot (never got the NOA document by snail mail, only the email)...

Appreciate your help in clarifying...

Thanks,

Charlie

NOA1 is where they tell you "We have recieved your application." Receipt

NOA2 is where they tell you "We have approved your application"

The e-mail you got was your NOA1.

As Dan said, hover your pointer over the NOA1 and the NOA2 in your own post or Dan's or mine. Read what the caption says.

Good luck.

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

A couple of additional dumb questions (they won't be the last, I'm sure, so apologies in advance):

I've looked around, but is there a glossary/timeline somewhere? I'm unclear on the difference between NOA and NOA2... because everyone's case is kinda different, I'm having a hard time finding a good posting that's a comp...

I received the notice that our petition had been approved and sent to GZ. That = NOA1, I assume. (For the record, never got the snail mailed copy... just email... Embassy says no biggie, so I'm not especially worried)

Waiting for whatever comes next from GZ. The NOA says to allow 2 months... been 1 month and nothing yet.

I know its a YMMV thing, but any thoughts on common wait time between NOA1 and whatever comes next?

Thanks,

Charlie

This notice is called NOA2, since it's typically the SECOND notification a petitioner would receive. In your case, however, as as is usually the case with DCF's, the petitioner is not explicitly notified that the petition was received. So NO NOA1 - go directly to NOA2. Don't look for anything in the mail.

We're just talking terminology here - nothing that really affects your case.

You are now waiting for NOA3 - also known as P3 - which is the emailed notification that the Consulate at GUZ has received your petition. Follow any instructions you receive.

Then P4 will notify you to go to the USTravelDocs web site (Dan indicated with website), where you will schedule your interview appointment. Yes, you may actually never receive anything by mail. Like Dan said, this web site P3/P4 processing is new as of March, so we are unsure of exact details - let us know how it goes for you.

But, with regard to the timing, like they say, wait 2 months, and if you haven't heard anything, wait another 2 months. Unfortunately, it's something of a black hole since you don't hear anything significant about the progress they're making (if any). Rest assured, though, that we haven't heard of anyone slipping through the cracks since the REAL black hole days in 2002 - 2003 when people were left in the dark for over a year. The 2 months should be a good ball park figure.

Mrs. Gravestey just went through this process in the last couple of months (I think she joined after P3 though, so I'm not sure of her timeline) - you might check some of her posts. Seems like she did P3, P4 AND interview in around 2 months.

Received the P3 packet today via snailmail - never got an email.

Documentation seems the same as its always been - no reference to the new USTravelDocs system - everything points to the "old" site and old approach. Not sure if that's because we're in the "old" cases that'll be handled the old way, or if it'll be referenced when we hear back in the P4...

Documentation seems the same as its always been - no reference to the new USTravelDocs system - everything points to the "old" site and old approach. Not sure if that's because we're in the "old" cases that'll be handled the old way, or if it'll be referenced when we hear back in the P4...

Interesting, should be able to download OF-169 and DS-230 fill out and then send to consulate when ready to have interview scheduled, perhaps then they will inform you to use the online system to schedule interview.

Interesting, should be able to download OF-169 and DS-230 fill out and then send to consulate when ready to have interview scheduled, perhaps then they will inform you to use the online system to schedule interview.

Yes - please let us know what they tell you to do. I'm expecting the new processing to begin with P4, Under the new system, you'll be scheduling your own interview - I'd be interested to hear how that goes.

I'm expecting the new system to begin with P4.

Actually, another question...

The OF-169 asks for a Case Number. Nothing we're recieved so far (the NOA2 and this P3) has included a Case Number.

Leave blank or am I missing something?

Xie xie,

Charlie

The P3 did not have a GUZ number? If not I would probably contact consulate and ask via online email system: http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/immigrant-visa-unit-question.html