Thinking about a journey toward US citizenship

Illegally working? Doing what? Was it documented or just under the table type of thing?

You can apply for citizenship at 3 years of residency marred to a US citizen or at 5 years if not, so yes you can file now.

My wife filed at 4 years of residency, and became citizen a year ago.

Dan, I was just about to post the link from last May.

Yes, it was cleared.

I knew we can file the application after 2 years and 8 months. I couldn't decide if I should apply for it during the past 6 years cause the CCP issue as you know it delayed my visa 6 more months. But that "illegal working" issue scared me too.

There are advantages to US citizenship. Any new immigration laws passed by an ever increasingly xenophobic legislature would no longer apply to you. Travel to foreign countries is easier, your daughter would automatically gain US citizenship and best of all you would never have to deal with the USCIS again. There are also some issues with Social Security survivor's benefits that would no longer be a problem. Cons would be if you ever wanted to return to China to live you would need a visa and constant renewals.

Good luck Ya Jie. Come around more often, we miss you.

Carl

• Like 1

Carl, I knew everything about advantage and disadvantage of US citizenship,I just cannot decide....

I need somebody push me a little bit. hehe. That's why I am here.

Yea, I should be here more often, I miss all you guys and girls too. Just too busy. I am working and taking classes SLOWLY toward BSN.

I got an offer from a hospital,will start on March 11th. I finally get into a hospital after graduate from Nursing school 1 year and 9 month. I will have an other hospital interview tomorrow.Really need quit my current rehab job.

• Like 1

Collected all documents,took photos,write the check, just need finish 2012 tax, then I can file that N-400. I knew my 12-year old daughter can automatic get citizenship after I get it. But I heard she maybe has trouble to change her Social security status. Should I apply N-600 for her as well as I file my N-400? Or wait until later when I have trouble with her SSN? I knew it is not everybody have this problem all depends on who and where you deal with.

Yes, you would file the N-600 for daughter after you become citizen to get daughter's citizenship certificate. Then perhaps file it with your N-400, when my wife attended her oath ceremony I did see a few children getting certificate at same time as parent.

Other way to show daughter's citizenship would be to apply for her US passport at same time you apply for one after becoming citizen.

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartH-Chapter4.html#S-D

Foreign Birth Documents + Parent(s) Citizenship Evidence

If you claim citizenship through birth abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s), but cannot submit a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth, you must submit all of the following:
  • Your foreign birth certificate (translated to English)
  • Evidence of citizenship of your U.S. citizen parent
  • Your parents' marriage certificate
  • An statement of your U.S. citizen parent detailing all periods and places of residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/secondary_evidence/secondary_evidence_4315.html

Not much about SSA status other than visiting the SSA office showing naturalization cert to change status, they should understand daughter's status changes based on your status change, SSN and card dose not change. When my wife got her first green-card we visited SSA office to change her status from non-immigrant to immigrant they changed her SSN card from one saying "Valid with DHS Auth" to one without that marking, changing status from Lawful Resident to Citizen does not involve a SSN card change, it is just a status change in the system.

• Like 1

Thanks Dan!

Yes, you would file the N-600 for daughter after you become citizen to get daughter's citizenship certificate. Then perhaps file it with your N-400, when my wife attended her oath ceremony I did see a few children getting certificate at same time as parent.

Other way to show daughter's citizenship would be to apply for her US passport at same time you apply for one after becoming citizen.

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartH-Chapter4.html#S-D

Foreign Birth Documents + Parent(s) Citizenship Evidence

If you claim citizenship through birth abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s), but cannot submit a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth, you must submit all of the following:
  • Your foreign birth certificate (translated to English)
  • Evidence of citizenship of your U.S. citizen parent
  • Your parents' marriage certificate
  • An statement of your U.S. citizen parent detailing all periods and places of residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/secondary_evidence/secondary_evidence_4315.html

Not much about SSA status other than visiting the SSA office showing naturalization cert to change status, they should understand daughter's status changes based on your status change, SSN and card dose not change. When my wife got her first green-card we visited SSA office to change her status from non-immigrant to immigrant they changed her SSN card from one saying "Valid with DHS Auth" to one without that marking, changing status from Lawful Resident to Citizen does not involve a SSN card change, it is just a status change in the system.

• 2 months later...

Got interview date, June 25th.

Need blessing.

Good luck with the interview. YOu will be just fine, son to hold the torch like the lady in the harbor, and wave the little American flag they give you.

tsap seui

Thanks guys! :D

Just keep studying what is in this thread: http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/31260-links/?p=580451

Even provided a list of the possible questions, and a site to practice the verbal English comprehension part

What my wife did and she had no problems.