Chinese GPS

These are Chinese-language GPS devices for use in the U.S.

The Garmin 750 and 850 have been reported as Mandarin-capable out of the
box. You can also download and install Mandarin and Cantonese "voices"
for a Garmin voice-compatible GPS. The Chinese versions may not offer
text-to-speech capability (They will say - in Chinese - "turn left in 50
yards", rather than using the street name). Look on eBay for prices as
low as $200.

Besta GPS-88 Multi-Language GPS Device

China eCool Home Shopping

http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?...hlight=mandarin

Seems like someone had a topic on this recently that contained more recent information

I bought a Tom Tom for my wife when she first arrived in USA.

It allows you to pick the language, Mandarin is available, and some local dialects.

It works well.

Then, later we bought a Garmin for our daughter.

It also has Mandarin and works well.

I believe the differentiating features are in other areas.

The one feature we wanted with the daughters was unlimited map updates.

Depending on where you live the roads are moved.

Our daughter was doing her intern work in Houston, and they move the highways there every week or so.

There are also bluetooth cell phone links so you have handsfree cell usage built into the gps.

Road congestion auto-reroute.

Lots of other options, but the basic usage, mandarin language, and unlimited map updates was our requirements.

We found our refurbished on amazon pretty cheap.

Chinese GPS

These are Chinese-language GPS devices for use in the U.S.

The Garmin 750 and 850 have been reported as Mandarin-capable out of the

box. You can also download and install Mandarin and Cantonese "voices"

for a Garmin voice-compatible GPS. The Chinese versions may not offer

text-to-speech capability (They will say - in Chinese - "turn left in 50

yards", rather than using the street name). Look on eBay for prices as

low as $200.

Besta GPS-88 Multi-Language GPS Device

China eCool Home Shopping

http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?...hlight=mandarin

Seems like someone had a topic on this recently that contained more recent information

Thanks Randy. I finally dug out of Garmin's FAQs that all of their current models have Mandarin capability. I searched here thinking this was discussed before but couldn't find anything.

I bought a Tom Tom for my wife when she first arrived in USA.

It allows you to pick the language, Mandarin is available, and some local dialects.

It works well.

Then, later we bought a Garmin for our daughter.

It also has Mandarin and works well.

I believe the differentiating features are in other areas.

The one feature we wanted with the daughters was unlimited map updates.

Depending on where you live the roads are moved.

Our daughter was doing her intern work in Houston, and they move the highways there every week or so.

There are also bluetooth cell phone links so you have handsfree cell usage built into the gps.

Road congestion auto-reroute.

Lots of other options, but the basic usage, mandarin language, and unlimited map updates was our requirements.

We found our refurbished on amazon pretty cheap.

Thanks Crezba!! Good to hear about the TomTom as that is the one I am looking at. Were there any other downloading charges other than maps? I will get the LTmaps and LT traffic updates.

They always had things you could buy, maps for other countries, funny voice add-ons.

The only thing that (I thought) was required was map updates.

The road congestion might be useful, but I don't know.

Wouldn't the road congestion require a constant data link while your driving?

I guess that works through your cell phone.

One option I wish I had looked for was China map add-on.

Some, but not many of the models allowed you to add China maps.

If I had that I would bring it with me when we travel to China.

Low priority item, for sure but something to consider if the price is similar.

Oh !! something I bought that my wife likes, and helps avoid theft of your gps.

The garmin came with a little sand-bag mount, where the sandbag sits on your dash instead of sticking it to the windshield.

I had to buy the equivalent for my wife's TomTom.

2 reasons we went with sand-bag mount vs. window mount.

1) The (insert bad word here) window mount would fall off at the most inopportune times. The result of grabbing for it while driving was a hazard, and the fall, sooner or later, was going to ruin the gps.

2) We learned from some friends (who had their window smashed out so thieves could steal their gps) that thieves will go through a parking lot, and look for the sticky circle mark on windshields. They then know that there is probably a gps on the floor in the car, bust out a window, and grab the gps.

The window cost more than the gps to replace...

The garmin was a 265W/265WT 4.3-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Integrated Traffic Receiver (Factory Refurbished).

This was the sandbag mount:

Garmin Portable Friction Mount

The tomtom is a TOMTOM ONE XL 4.3-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator, but it is 5 years old now. I am sure it has been replaced.

You can search amazon for tomtom friction mount.

This is the Garmin I bought for my wife: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057OCDQS/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it with the "sand-bag" mount: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OL2MU4/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As others have said, you can set it to Chinese both verbal and on-screen though my wife uses it in English.

I don't think the lack of street pronunciation is that big of a deal, "turn left in 100 yards is fine." The English pronunciations drive me crazy as the algorithm automatically takes the first consonant and vowel and makes it the first syllable. Friends of ours live right off of La-ke-Shore Drive. :-)

A friend of my wife is the the chaperon for a group of Chinese acrobats who are touring the Western US going to elementary schools. She uses a Garmin (in Mandarin) and her English is pretty limited.

It does have features that will give audible alarms when you go over the speed limit and if you are approaching a red-light camera but we turned it off because it becomes annoying.

One thing that is slightly annoying is I would like to be able to set the distances in km while keeping the speed in MPH. It only lets you change both to either Metric or Imperial.

This is the Garmin I bought for my wife: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057OCDQS/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it with the "sand-bag" mount: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OL2MU4/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As others have said, you can set it to Chinese both verbal and on-screen though my wife uses it in English.

I don't think the lack of street pronunciation is that big of a deal, "turn left in 100 yards is fine." The English pronunciations drive me crazy as the algorithm automatically takes the first consonant and vowel and makes it the first syllable. Friends of ours live right off of La-ke-Shore Drive. :-)

A friend of my wife is the the chaperon for a group of Chinese acrobats who are touring the Western US going to elementary schools. She uses a Garmin (in Mandarin) and her English is pretty limited.

It does have features that will give audible alarms when you go over the speed limit and if you are approaching a red-light camera but we turned it off because it becomes annoying.

One thing that is slightly annoying is I would like to be able to set the distances in km while keeping the speed in MPH. It only lets you change both to either Metric or Imperial.

This is the one I have been looking at the most. The wife likes the 5" screen.

Thanks Beachy and Crezba!!!

shore would like to know how to add Chinese to it. Looks like I am getting the runaround,

I haven't read through this thread, so sorry if I am redundant.

My Leiqin cannot read nor write English. So, she can't read street signs. I got her a Garvin GPS at COSTCO for ~a couple hundred bucks. It speaks and has Chinese characters (as well as maybe another 40 languages). She now goes anywhere and everywhere here in and outside Los Angeles without any issues. Where once she's often get lost and needed me to come get her so that she'd follow me home, that's now a thing of the past.

Nuff said. Get one for your lady. It will make both of your lives more at peace. ;) She'll be confident to travel anywhere and you won't need to worry about where's she's going.

• Like 1

shore would like to know how to add Chinese to it. Looks like I am getting the runaround,

My Leiqin cannot read nor write English. So, she can't read street signs. I got her a Garvin GPS at COSTCO for ~a couple hundred bucks. It speaks and has Chinese characters (as well as maybe another 40 languages). She now goes anywhere and everywhere here in and outside Los Angeles without any issues. Where once she's often get lost and needed me to come get her so that she'd follow me home, that's now a thing of the past.

Nuff said. Get one for your lady. It will make both of your lives more at peace. ;) She'll be confident to travel anywhere and you won't need to worry about where's she's going.

Already got one. Now to make it speak chinese.

Already got one. Now to make it speak chinese.

There are icons at the beginning... you know the one with the lips? Click on the lips and then scroll and click on the language of choice. I think Mandarin is somewhere near the top.

Other than that, just play with it and figure it out. Maybe read the directions. :)