Saturday Mail Delivery No More

Thomas Promise

How many postal workers will be laid off to generate the savings?

I am pretty certain it isn't just vehicle expense that will be saved by no Saturday delivery.

Can get details here: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-02-06/u-dot-s-dot-postal-service-says-it-plans-to-end-saturday-mail-service

About 5 percent of the service’s 525,000 employees in January accepted a cost-cutting early retirement offer. The service says it has already cut about 60,000 full-time jobs in the past two years.

Over 1/2 million employees, that is a lot of payroll.

I've got a real good friend from our writers group who has been a postal worker for 25 years....the only job he ever had.

He still makes the money we used to look to postal workers as making, and the benefits, 40 hours, and all. But anyone who started working later only has a low paid part time job with the US post office.

They have tried their best to get rid of my buddy. Even harrasement from his 2nd in command, luckily the post master is a good and fair man.

US postal workers used to be looked upon as having good jobs for life. Most all the people you see stuffing letters in boxes these days hardly make more than a Mickey Dee's worker, and like their Mickey Dee friends, there are NO BENEFITS, and a ton of stress to keep production up and pay low.

Sad to see our institutions crumble around us. I often tell the folks I see in our post office when I buy stamps or send packages to China, that I feel for them, and I wouldn't care if they raised stamps to 75 cents or even a buck a piece. I guess that's part of the problem anyhow...so many of us use our computers to pay bills, and use e-mail to stay in touch wiht friends, we have stripped out the main thrust of a postal system. Heck, now us old bastards even have our SS benefits direct deposited....no more hanging out by the mailbox waitin' on yore check, and hoping you could make it to your door before some thug took it out of your hands.

My friend told me this was coming last year, still sad to see.

We have a whole lot more coming down the pike.

tsap seui

• Like 1

If you do a PO box make sure is in an office allowing access after hours, my home town office locks up tight and cannot get at boxes when closed, I did have a box in a neighboring town where the lobby was open 24 hours.