Tips for Booking Train Tickets in China

The easiest way to take the train in China is to fly. (And really, within China, it's not much more expensive.)

Actually it's usually twice as expensive to fly.

That's true. But even at 400 kuai for the hard sleeper train ticket and all the supra-inconvenience that taking the train long distance in China brings with it - I can stomach 800 kuai to be at my destination in a couple hours.

The easiest way to take the train in China is to fly. (And really, within China, it's not much more expensive.)

Actually it's usually twice as expensive to fly.

That's true. But even at 400 kuai for the hard sleeper train ticket and all the supra-inconvenience that taking the train long distance in China brings with it - I can stomach 800 kuai to be at my destination in a couple hours.

I did a check today.

Fast train to Guangzhou from Beijing takes 8 hours. It is a cushy ride and just as convenient as any plane. The plane takes 3 hours. The plane costs more than twice as much, if you can get a ticket... more tickets available on trains. So it is a decision of economics, desire to see the countryside or clouds, of course time, but taking a train is a lot more comfortable getting to stand up and move around - smoke if you want in designated areas - food choices - interacting with other riders, etc. I have flown and trained around China and if I can spare the time or trying to save money I have no hesitation in taking the train.

I've heard buses are nice too (more Chinese take this way) but the decisions are still the same. I did a bus on a short 2 hour ride last vacation and it was fine.