Family Planning in China

Govt staff must take four pregnancy tests every year

The local commission told the Beijing News that more frequent pregnancy tests will allow it to identify government staffers who are pregnant and order abortions at an early stage if the woman is not qualified to bear a child.

Heading to the farms

Reversing your hukou change

"It's just like a time bomb. I had been worrying that I would be forced to get an abortion if I got pregnant someday," Liao told the Global Times, saying she feels reassured now with her "farmer" status secured.

. . .

Liao, 29 and born in Shandong Province, had her hukou status changed to a non-agricultural one when she went to college as the national policy required. Her husband, from Hunan Province, purchased an urban hukou beforehand with a view to enjoying the social benefits for city dwellers only.

"Urban hukou holders were so envied in the past, but everything has changed today," said Liao.

Currently, with a slew of preferential policies toward rural areas and land value enhanced due to city expansion, the country is seeing a surge of "urban residents" seeking to reverse their hukou.