Adding More Bricks

Randy W

Adding More Bricks to the Great Firewall of China

As Bill Bishop wrote recently on DealBook, China’s management of the Internet “has not been encouraging for those who want to believe the leadership will push reforms.”

“I have lived in Beijing since 2005, and these have been the most draconian few days of Internet restrictions I have experienced,” he said last month.

The problem with that is there are always ways to use technology to circumvent the wall.

The problem with THAT is that it gets expensive (for the providers) to add new servers or to switch to a new provider every time they catch up to the one you're using.

They can't block VPN's in general, but they CAN block the servers.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

The New York Times is completely blocked in China since before the CPC Congress in October.

At least three foreign companies — Astrill, WiTopia and StrongVPN — have apologized to customers whose virtual private networks, or VPNs, have been slowed or disabled. VPNs are used to circumvent the Communist government’s firewall. The companies, meanwhile, were suggesting some work-arounds.

The daily newspaper Global Times, affiliated with the Communist Party, acknowledged the firewall had been “upgraded,” but it also warned that foreign providers of VPN services were operating illegally.

Click on the "acknowledged" link for the GlobalTimes version of the story - this appears to be the source for the New York Times article

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

:rotfl: Oh my, those lucky Chinese, and you ex-pats over yonder....the New York Times SHOULD be blocked...in America. :rotfl: Looks like the powers to be are much smarter in Chinertucky than they are in NYC. That paper is like reading the National Enquirer...no it's worse, the National Enquirer doesn't expect people to believe it's :bullshit: headlines, the Times does. At least the Enquirer is funny, and not full of it's self either.

tsap seui

:rotfl: Oh my, those lucky Chinese, and you ex-pats over yonder....the New York Times SHOULD be blocked...in America. :rotfl: Looks like the powers to be are much smarter in Chinertucky than they are in NYC. That paper is like reading the National Enquirer...no it's worse...

It completely depends on what parts to which you are referring. I would say that at least most of the NYT is very good if not great. Buy a Sunday edition for example and get the NYT Magazine. Very fine. Also their world, arts, tech, leisure, and special features are unmatched by most daily papers nationwide. :victory: