Anyone know if Amazon video streaming will work in China?

ama537621

I know Netflix streaming will not work in China, or it did not work last year when I was there. Does anyone know if Amazon streaming video service will work in China?

I am deciding on a nexus 7, 10 or a Amazon fire HD tablet. I would hate to get there and find out I made a wrong choice for the next 9-12 months.

If there is a better option for a tablet please let me know. I want to avoid the I-pad as I already have a lot of apps from Google play and Amazon that I will be able to transfer to the new tablet.

Most expats living in China tend to use a VPN to connect to outside services like that, such as YouTube, FaceBook etc.. and Windows based PC's

Yes, you'll need a VPN. Throughput may also be an issue, if they don't let you download the movie in advance. There are plenty of sources for movies in China, though. The 21st Century dinner and a movie - just prop an iPhone up on the table while you eat.

Without an answer from someone who's tried, I'm going to guess that the answer is that it's probably not worth trying.

It's not the Great Firewall that blocks access, but export restrictions in this case. VPN's get around that, as well as the GFW, but, well - good luck!

Didn't work for me, even downloads during prime-Chinese TV watching time (4 PM to 4 AM) I couldn't update SW or any large files. I had the high-high speed Internet - for what it was worth. Again, Amazon and Netflix didn't work. I got PPTV2 to work for a brief few minutes but it just crapped out from the speed. This was last Nov (2011).