Random things I was worried about but shouldn't have been...

Ahh, taxes. never been good at them!

Well, the truth is that my w-2s, since I have filed for foreign earned income exclusion, have just been left blank-- not even a zero, but blank.

It sounds like my employer has done something wrong perhaps...? I always thought it odd, but just thought it was a result of filing for the exclusion at the start of each tax year.

As far as my husband's interview is concerned, (not the IRS, I will speak to a professional about this soon), do you have any advice considering this potential hiccup?

I have already asked my mother to be a joint sponsor because of the lack of income shown on my w-2. I have her:

1. Original signed I-864

2. Most recent w-2s and tax returns (but only one tax return for 2011 so far because she can't locate the others at the moment)

3. Proof of citizenship (Driver's license, Voter Reg., and call to Jury duty)

4. Pay stubs (10 most recent)

I am hoping that this will be acceptable. I can also write a letter explaining why I have filed the way that I have and that is why my mother is a joint sponsor. Additionally, I have a offer letter for future employment beginning July 22, 2013. I also have prepared copies of my pay stubs, w-2s, and tax returns for the past three years.

Is there anything other precautionary measure that you recommend? Do you think that this will be enough? Should I contact an immigration lawyer for advice at this point? Interview in 10 days.

Thank you so much for responding!!

Well, the truth is that my w-2s, since I have filed for foreign earned income exclusion, have just been left blank-- not even a zero, but blank.

It sounds like my employer has done something wrong perhaps...? I always thought it odd, but just thought it was a result of filing for the exclusion at the start of each tax year.

As far as my husband's interview is concerned, (not the IRS, I will speak to a professional about this soon), do you have any advice considering this potential hiccup?

I have already asked my mother to be a joint sponsor because of the lack of income shown on my w-2. I have her:

1. Original signed I-864

2. Most recent w-2s and tax returns (but only one tax return for 2011 so far because she can't locate the others at the moment)

I am hoping that this will be acceptable. I can also write a letter explaining why I have filed the way that I have and that is why my mother is a joint sponsor. Additionally, I have a offer letter for future employment beginning July 22, 2013. I also have prepared copies of my pay stubs, w-2s, and tax returns for the past three years.

Is there anything other precautionary measure that you recommend? Do you think that this will be enough? Should I contact an immigration lawyer for advice at this point? Interview in 10 days.

2) That is what IRS Tax transcripts are for, they are easy and free to order: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript (Get them for 2011, 2010)

3) Prof of US Residence, a green-card holder can be a sponsor, they just need proof that the sponsor is a resident of the USA, so what you have should work.

4) Tends to be copies of stubs going back 6 months. If paid bi-weekly that would be 13 stubs, if weekly then 26 paystubs. Anyway I have seen them being flexible if provide most and a few at the 6 month mark showing income constant over the 6 months.

That letter of future employment will be best, what the I-864 is all about is showing that the immigrant will not become dependent on government assistance like welfare, and other means tested benefits you showing will have a job shortly after coming to the USA is the best evidence to help with this, it also establishes that you are in the process of reestablishing domicile.

1. Original signed I-864

You are apparently reporting $0 income to the IRS. That is an issue between you and the IRS. It's unclear why your employer would issue blank W-2's. That's an issue between them and the IRS, assuming that they are real W-2's and not just something they are filling out at your request.

Your I-864 simply needs to be consistent with your tax return.

I wouldn't pretend to have a clue about your tax return or your actual situation, based on what you're saying here. The foreign earned income exclusion won't apply, since you are reporting $0 income. Someone who knows what they're doing needs to be looking over your shoulder to see what you're doing - that won't be us.

• 6 months later...

“The best piece of advice I can give you is to tell your wife to get on the Chinese language boards on this website and make nice with the other ladies. They will tell her what forms and information she needs to get, and then she can tell you and you can just do it. The ladies do a great job of helping each other out. My wife was consistently more informed throughout the process than I was.”

Are there really "Chinese language boards on this website"? I can't find them. My wife could really use Chinese-language forum topics like these (Thankyou CFL!), but we haven't been able to them here or elsewhere. Anyone have suggestions for our Chinese-reading spouses?

Anyone have suggestions for our Chinese-reading spouses?

This one seems to be pretty popular and I remember getting useful info from there when searching in Chinese: http://usa.bbs.net/

Oh, thank you for posting that! I meant to post the link earlier, but forgot to get back to it.

That site is what is referred to here as '001', and is very popular among Chinese women who are applying for a visa.