I-134: Listing Assets and Bank Deposits

I flew to China to be with my then fiancee and hand carried the I-134 there, and she carried it into the interview.

Yes, anything sent to the consulate without being requested to be sent to them will be discarded.

Typical wording to not send them any documents, and they will destroy them as noted on the OF-169 Check List

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/uploads/images/3a228Sf5B6i8Sq-HupGc2A/2._OF-169.pdf

Borrowed money does NOT reflect a stronger financial situation, although that may or may not be noticed. We can not look over your shoulder to tell you how the Visa Officer will react to your Affidavit of Support. It's up to you to do the best you can there - perhaps your parents will be more willing to help out when (IF) your affidavit is rejected. Perhaps they would be more willing to help out if they knew that you were submitting it DIRECTLY to the Consulate or through the CITIC Bank drop-off.

Is there a way to submit directly to the consulate for K-1? If so, can you please direct me to some instructions on how to do this?

Be SURE to follow directions you have been given.

These are for overcome documents - http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-iv-documentsubmissioninfo.asp, but I'm sure the before-interview instructions are similar.

If you wish to submit a Affidavit of Support directly to the Consulate, you may want to contact them through their email page so you can submit it PRIOR TO THE INTERVIEW. Explain that your parents are concerned about the security of the information. The Consulate's email page is at Immigrant Visa Unit Inquiry Form . I'm pretty sure that others have done this and that they would be able to accommodate you.

As Randy said, you could physically bring it with you from the US when it gets close to interview time. Or if you're currently in China, you can schedule the interview for after the next time you go back to the US for a visit.

Or if you know somebody who you trust other than yourself to bring the documents?

Thanks guys. Yes, I thought about having someone I know personally deliver the documents, but nobody I know is going to China any time soon. I'm a medical student with no vacation time this year, so I can't be the one to do it, as much as I wish I could be there for him on interview day.

We're still waiting for packet 3 now, but I think I will look into that possibility of getting special permission to submit prior to interview that you mentioned, Randy W. If they say that's not allowed, I will just go ahead as sole sponsor and see what happens... even before my parents transferred the money, I was pretty close to having adequate income/assets.

Thanks guys. Yes, I thought about having someone I know personally deliver the documents, but nobody I know is going to China any time soon. I'm a medical student with no vacation time this year, so I can't be the one to do it, as much as I wish I could be there for him on interview day.

We're still waiting for packet 3 now, but I think I will look into that possibility of getting special permission to submit prior to interview that you mentioned, Randy W. If they say that's not allowed, I will just go ahead as sole sponsor and see what happens... even before my parents transferred the money, I was pretty close to having adequate income/assets.

I expect you'd be able to email a pdf copy in advance, and then have your fiancee deliver the hard-copy at the interview.

Edited by dnoblett
K-1 case (see edit history)
  • 1 year later...

Hi, Relating to this topic, I am completing the I-134 and my Total Income surpasses the 125% Threshold ($30,111). Since I have no savings, however, is it better that I leave the other financial spaces blank rather than writing zeros? The instructions now say answer every question so I'm confused whenever I see advice about leaving spaces blank but I don't want to invite more questions either.. Any thoughts?

Hi, Relating to this topic, I am completing the I-134 and my Total Income surpasses the 125% Threshold ($30,111). Since I have no savings, however, is it better that I leave the other financial spaces blank rather than writing zeros? The instructions now say answer every question so I'm confused whenever I see advice about leaving spaces blank but I don't want to invite more questions either.. Any thoughts?

Takes 5 min., and a little bit of ink to fill in those blanks. Why wouldn't you answer them truthfully, even with half-assed guesses? I'm not seeing a downside here.

Re-reading, it looks like you're saying you have $0 in assets. But, yes, fill them in.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

When doing my wife's years ago my income was well above the mark around 50,000, I simply indicated nothing with regard to assets even though I had retirement savings and other savings as assets, if income is more than enough you do not need to list assets.

Yes, it's not the five minutes and it's not the ink, it's the zero. And I am approaching everything truthfully. Did I say something that made it look like I wanted to save time and ink? Thanks for responding but this is not the easiest thing to go through so perhaps bear that in mind if someone asks an honest question.

No - I first read that as whether to list assets you HAD. But, again, just fill in the blanks truthfully (I was trying to indicate to just estimate , rather than spending time coming up with an accurate figure, and to use actual values rather than putting $0 - and that 'time and ink' were the only expenses in doing so) - please don't take it personally.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

One other note about assets, if you list something they can request paperwork showing the values, easiest if your income well exceeds what they need then don't bother listing assets.