I DCF'ed last week, and I am thinking about i-864.

I worked in China, and will move back to the state when the visa is granted so I plan on getting a joint sponsor.

I contacted a friend, she is making good money, but she is already sponsoring 12 people with her husband together.

Can/Should I still use her?

Does it matter that she is already sponsoring other people or it doesn't matter as long as she makes enough number to cover the number of petitioners?

I tried to search for more info on multiple people already being sponsored but can't come up with anything useful.

Is there a table some where that say to sponsor 1 person you need XXXX amount, to sponsor 2 people you need XXXX.

I only found i-864p, but not sure if thats what I am after.

Yes, I-864P is the guideline, look at the 125% column and factor in self, sponsored immigrants, and any other prior sponsored immigrants and dependents.

Basically in the 48 states it starts at $18,912 for family of two, and add $4,950 for each additional immigrant and dependent.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Then again if income is borderline the consulate can ask for joint sponsor. Keep in mind they are concerned with your income after immigration if you filed DCF, they may ask for evidence that income will continue after moving to the USA.

I plan to leave with her when she gets her visa,

So I will not a job right the way when I return to the US.

I m trying to look for another sponsor, not sure if I can find another one yet.

I am not sure how the visa officer will feel about the sponsor already sponsoring 4-5 people, or it is fine as long as my sponsor income is above the 125%.

What the I-864 is all about is to show that the immigrant will be supported and will not go on government assistance (Welfare, and other means tested benefits), I don't think the consulate will question prior sponsored immigrants.

But yes you will be asked to provide a joint sponsor if you will be unemployed, unless you have a large nest egg (Liquid assets) that exceed the 125% mark my at least 3 times, that you can live off of while looking for a job. 3x125% because that is 3 years support, at which time the immigrant could conceivably become a US Citizen and discharge the I-864.

• 3 weeks later...

What the I-864 is all about is to show that the immigrant will be supported and will not go on government assistance (Welfare, and other means tested benefits), I don't think the consulate will question prior sponsored immigrants.

But yes you will be asked to provide a joint sponsor if you will be unemployed, unless you have a large nest egg (Liquid assets) that exceed the 125% mark my at least 3 times, that you can live off of while looking for a job. 3x125% because that is 3 years support, at which time the immigrant could conceivably become a US Citizen and discharge the I-864.

I been reading about 864, 864a and household size, and I got really confused.

I do not have any income in the state, but I back file a couple years before I submitted my I-130.

Since I am the primary sponsor, I will be filing the 864, my father is willing to help and we will be living with him.

1. Does that make our household size at 3 if my father were to help us? But my father won't be supporting me, I will be looking for a job and I have some savings.

2. My father is retired, he is making 125% above for two, but definitely not enough for 125% above for three. Will he be filing 864 or 864A?

3. Will including an I-134 help? but he does not have 125% * 3 for 3 without including the house.

4. I can also get a letter from a company that will hire me when I return to the state, will that help?

Thanks.

I do not have any income in the state, but I back file a couple years before I submitted my I-130.

Since I am the primary sponsor, I will be filing the 864, my father is willing to help and we will be living with him.

1. Does that make our household size at 3 if my father were to help us? But my father won't be supporting me, I will be looking for a job and I have some savings.

2. My father is retired, he is making 125% above for two, but definitely not enough for 125% above for three. Will he be filing 864 or 864A?

3. Will including an I-134 help? but he does not have 125% * 3 for 3 without including the house.

4. I can also get a letter from a company that will hire me when I return to the state, will that help?

Thanks.

1) No, your personal household size is you, your spouse (Sponsored immigrant (Do NOT count as spouse)) and any dependents like children.

2) Father only counts himself and sponsored immigrant on his I-864 as a joint sponsor, he does not count you.

3) I-134 is for NON-Immigrants, such as fiancee (K-1) visas. It is not applicable in your case.

4) Yes, especially if it indicates your salary, in fact if it is a solid job offer, with solid states salary, it most definitely help.

Thanks.

1) No, your personal household size is you, your spouse (Sponsored immigrant (Do NOT count as spouse)) and any dependents like children.

2) Father only counts himself and sponsored immigrant on his I-864 as a joint sponsor, he does not count you.

3) I-134 is for NON-Immigrants, such as fiancee (K-1) visas. It is not applicable in your case.

4) Yes, especially if it indicates your salary, in fact if it is a solid job offer, with solid states salary, it most definitely help.

1. Got it.

2. So in this case, my father files a 864 as well, and since the household size for him is 2 (my wife and him) and he is above the 125% for two, and I can use him as a co-sponsor.

3. Got it.

4. Got it.

Thanks, this clears up my confusion.

Thanks.

1. Got it.

2. So in this case, my father files a 864 as well, and since the household size for him is 2 (my wife and him) and he is above the 125% for two, and I can use him as a co-sponsor.

3. Got it.

4. Got it.

Thanks, this clears up my confusion.

If barely above the 125% mark, the consulate has been known to request another sponsor, however, they may see that you have a job offer, and consider the total picture knowing that your future income should be sufficient, and accept the joint sponsor.

• Like 1