Medical Insurance for mom and dad

shadeOgray

Hey everyone, got my mother and father-in-law comming over in December from china for a visit. Mom is a diabetic and we need to get her medical insurance so she can see a stupid USA doctor to tell her she is diabetic so we can get her the medicine she needs while here. Anyone come across something like this before or know of an insurance?

Hey everyone, got my mother and father-in-law comming over in December from china for a visit. Mom is a diabetic and we need to get her medical insurance so she can see a stupid USA doctor to tell her she is diabetic so we can get her the medicine she needs while here. Anyone come across something like this before or know of an insurance?

Why can't you pay for it without insurance?

diabetic supplies are very expensive.

one touch test strips are about $2 each

actos pills 30 day supply $550

Lantus injection 30 day supply $495

metformin 90 supply $10 at wal-marts if you have a prescription

novalog injection 30 day supply $600

this is why she needs insurance. my helth insurance from work quit paying for medicine and doctor's visits until I meet pay out $5000 so lately I am doing without

This is a very important issue, and not vetted here at the Candle as well as it should be --

-- Elderly parents (or other family members) who get sick on a visit to the US are SOL regarding medical coverage in the US--- (NO insurance) ---- a catastrophic medical event (such as a stroke or heart attack) --- could easily wipe out the life savings of any of the members here. shadeOgray has more to worry about than just medical supplies for a diabetic --- since diabetics tend to have far more complications in the event of medical emergencies..

I've tried to source medical insurance, for visiting family members from China, but without much luck. As one would expect, by the time your elderly Father & Mother In Law reach about age 70 --- no health insurance is going to cover them --- particularly since they want to stay: (for a minimum) of a month ---- and you are s--t for suggesting a shorter visit... Anyone else here addressed this issue??

Is called traveler's insurance, but I believe is not for preventative medicine, only catastrophic emergency cases check with the plan providers.

Here are some:

http://www.visitorscoverage.com/

http://www.insubuy.com/

http://www.google.com/search?q=travelers+medical+insurance+usa ( Google is your friend )

I seriously doubt you will be able to get any kind of insurance that will pay for her meds where she has a preexisting condition. make sure she has a prescription for her insulin that will be honored here. Start shopping around for the best prices. Articles I've read suggest that insulin can be kept for at least 3 months and perhaps up to a year. http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/index.php/t-251200.html have her talk to her doctor about it. Flight attendants on her airplane will likely allow her to put it in their fridge for the trip over.

I had an ex GF who used to get her diabetic supplies from a diabetic charity (I forget which one), Look into those for the diabetes maybe? I actually came here to ask a similar question. My in-laws are coming over to live with us and get their greencard. We can do travelers insurance for catastrophic problems for a short period, but does anyone know what it would take to get insurance for long term for them? My inlaws are 57 and 59 and my mother inlaw has diabetes as well, although she manages it with her diet.

When I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes my doctor commented, "I hope you're all done buying insurance", I have a friend who took early retirement who has diabetes type 2. His health insurance is $1500.00 a month and he's lucky he can get it.

• 10 months later...

Hello,

I am also searching for health and travel insurance option for my sister-in law. I checked out the links posted earlier. Did anyone actually use these websites? Are there any that you had a good or bad experience with? My sister-in law is in good health and in her mid 30's. I don't think she will visit for more than 2 months. In my searches, the price wasn't too bad.

I am just wondering if anyone here has actually purchased travel insurance and had to use it? Was it a good experience or bad?

Thanks,