Time from N400 interview to oath ceremony

Hi All,

My wife passed her citizenship interview about 3 and a half weeks ago. She hasn’t yet received the notice for the oath ceremony, and in 2 weeks we are moving to another state.

For anyone who has recently gone through this process, would you speculate that we’ll have the oath ceremony within the next 2 weeks? Also, are these ceremonies typically held on Saturdays?

It would be so great to have the ceremony before we move so we can avoid changing the appointment (and maybe even having to change the address we have registered at USCIS). After my wife’s interview, they told her she would have her citizenship in time to vote, so this gives us hope…

Thank you for any input!

In my wife's case we elected to go oath ceremony at the county courthouse near home, which happened about a month after the interview.

But many ask at interview, and in many cases get the Oath done the same day as interview.

It all depends on your jurisdiction.

In my wife's case we elected to go oath ceremony at the county courthouse near home, which happened about a month after the interview.

But many ask at interview, and in many cases get the Oath done the same day as interview.

It all depends on your jurisdiction.

Thanks for that data point and bit of info, dnoblett. I wish I¡¯d known that we could request the oath on the same day back 3-4 weeks ago! Thanks as always.

FYI - they won't always let you take the oath the same day. Hear in Reno this last summer - they had a big Anniversary Ceremony Scheduled and for about 6-8 weeks everyone waited - and then everyone had to go to the ceremony at the National Car Museum - about 70 folks I would estimate - took about 3 hours to complete! UGH!!!

It varies depending on your local service center. Here in Portland if you have your interview in the morning the swearing in ceremony is the same day. If your interview is in the afternoon the ceremony is the next day.

Some places you wait until there's a big to do like Mike described. Also if they opt to change their name they have to wait until they go before an immigration judge.

In many areas if Oath is near 4th of July they hold cases and have all on that date.

Here in Rochester it makes sense the way they did it at the Rochester Court House, it allowed friends and family to attend without having to make the 60+ mile trek to Buffalo, we live in Rochester.

• 1 month later...