My wife is going to apply for her U.S. passport and aside from being terrified of the geniuses in the paperwork process loosing her original naturalization certificate, I had another thought pop in my head.

To apply for her visa to visit China, she has to turn her old passport in to the Chinese embassy if I understand correctly, something to do with renouncing her Chinese citizenship. What would happen if she should for some reason ever decide to leave the U.S. and move back to China permanently? As far as I know, this would never happen, but I just wonder about these things.

Firstly don't sweat the state department loosing the naturalization cert, they won't, my wife applied for passport very shortly after becoming a citizen, they returned the cert along with new passport without a problem. Also when applying for fist China visa, must include old Chinese passport, they will invalidate it (Cut a corner off or punch a hole into it) and return it to visa applicant.

Several possibilities,

1. Like any other non China citizen, could live in China on a resident visa, having to renew from time to time at the PSB, I think they allow for being a former China citizen.
  2. Renounce US Citizenship if truly intend on permanently living in China, not sure the procedure to regain Chinese citizenship though.

i assume she is a US citizen. China does not recognize dual citizenship so if she was to try and use her old passport to enter China with, she could get into a lot of trouble.

Yes she is a citizen, and she did not plan to enter China with a Chinese passport. I was just curious if she ever wanted to move back to China, would she have had to immigrate back to China or what. She isn't planning to, just one of those things that pop in my head and I wonder, "how WOULD that work?".

Thanks dnoblett, glad to hear they won't loose it. Hate to have to go back and have them pull a gun on her in Atlanta again. Yep, pull a gun on a little 100lb woman.

She had been in that morning, we had been given the customary search and they had been through her purse. She had taken her interview and passed, and was scheduled to come back the same day for a swearing in. She came back, was going through the customary search when one of the guards noticed a small can of pepper spray in her purse and unholsters his gun. Mind you, that same can was in her purse the first time. He starts yelling and threatening to call the police on her as the two other guards looked on. He then yells at her to go back to her vehicle and leave it there.

She forgot it was in there, and I honestly had forgotten myself as I got it for her years ago when she asked for it.

• Like 1