I lost my green card

This is from the Venezuelan Embassy, but information from the Guangzhou consulate is at the link posted below. File an I-90 for a replacement card when you get back.

A Transportation Letter is a travel document issued to a Legal Permanent Resident of the United States who has an expired, lost, or stolen Permanent Resident card (a/k/a “Green Card” or “Form I-551”) and need to travel to the United States.

The Transportation Letter is valid for two weeks and for one single entry to the United States. Once the Legal Permanent Resident arrives in the United States, he or she will need to take the steps necessary to obtain a new Permanent Resident card with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service.

http://guangzhou.use...green-card.html

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

It doesn't look easy.

What I saw online is this.

You can apply for a transportation letter at the US embassy, it requires:

• A completed I-90 form (request for replacement green card)
  • A valid passport showing when you left USA
  • Evidence most recent date of departure from USA (boarding tickets, airline receipt etc. )
  • A police report reguarding the loss/stolen green card
  • Detailed explanation specifying why you don't have your green card with you
  • 3 identical recent passport-sized photos of yourself
  • 165$ filing fee (non-refundable even if application is denied)

Does having a photocopy of the green card help? Does it reduce the costs? I'm just wondering because we always have those same as having copy of the data page and visa on the US passport when traveling.

Doubtful, since it's easy enough to find her records anyway, but probably a good idea to keep.

Does having a photocopy of the green card help? Does it reduce the costs? I'm just wondering because we always have those same as having copy of the data page and visa on the US passport when traveling.

Doubtful, since it's easy enough to find her records anyway, but probably a good idea to keep.

I assumed everyone did this (data page/visa off US passport) given that hotels will keep your actual passport and just in case you come across some hard-nosed federales you'd have papers to present to them.

If traveling on a letter it would be a good idea to check with the airline. The ticket agents aren't always up to speed on these issues and may give you a hard time boarding. An example of this is Jim Julian's wife who traveled to China on an expired green card. When she wanted to return to the US the airline wouldn't accept the NOA letter for the I-751 which extends the resident status for up to a year.

I assumed everyone did this (data page/visa off US passport) given that hotels will keep your actual passport and just in case you come across some hard-nosed federales you'd have papers to present to them.

Yes - exactly.

Jim's wife I think was actually denied boarding the aircraft until they mailed her new green card to her.

I don't know if the PSB would help - they would need to recognize the letter, also - but you might try getting an exit visa from them IF it comes to that. That's a mighty big IF, since someone (employee or supervisors) at the airport will usually be able to decipher the documentation. Perhaps having a translation handy would help?

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Even better! Now don't loose it again.

My wife gave it back to USCIS when she became a citizen last spring, now no card to worry about loosing.