I-751- still no notice

I need some help. We filed on 9/9/2011 for the 10 year green card for my stepson. We did the biometrics and are waiting...and waiting and then finally on July 30th 2012 we recieve an RFE that required a signature. We signed it and overnighted it back to them. They said in the RFE that it would be a minimum of 16 days before we would here anything else. It is now the middle of September and we still have heard nothing. The case status is the same online. The proccessing times at VSC are into October already.

Is there a way to contact someone by phone or get an appointment to find out what is going on? His one year extention letter runs out on 10/11/12.....................

Thanks,

National Customer Service Center (NCSC): 1-800-375-5283

http://www.uscis.gov...000b92ca60aRCRD

Or info pass around time of extension letter expiration and get an I-551 stamp in passport further extending LPR status evidence.

An LPR remains an LPR until USCIS says otherwise, even with an expired green-card or expired extension letter.

Note it seems that VSC is very backlogged.

Thanks Dan, I will follow up with customer service and see if I can get any response from them. I am nervous as his drivers license will expire on 11/10/2012.....had the date wrong in original post. In NC they won't issue a license past the date shown on his green card or I797 in this case.

Thanks Dan, I will follow up with customer service and see if I can get any response from them. I am nervous as his drivers license will expire on 11/10/2012.....had the date wrong in original post. In NC they won't issue a license past the date shown on his green card or I797 in this case.

Visit USCIS (Info-Pass) and explain this and get a 1 year extension I-551 stamp in passport, then bring this to the DMV, they should accept the I-551 stamp as evidence of legal presence.

I hope they get it settled soon to. We are living a very good life together. My stepson and son get along great and my wife and I are doing great........just need to get to a point where the government is in the rear view mirror. Michael (stepson) is a great kid and is in college now looking to graduate in three years. We are starting to build a new house this fall and my son is driving now and is a junior in high school. It is always busy but it is a good busy.

I guess I need to be more patient with waiting on this but I just want to be sure I am doing everything I can for him.

Thanks for the responses and as we get closer to the one year mark for the I797 I will do the info pas as you advised Dan.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the ignorance on this one, but it has been SO long since I have dealt with anything related to immigration.

Is the i-751 the form to convert a 2 year LPR to a 10 year one?

Is it 2 years from the date she arrived, the date we got married, or the day that we went in for our interiew and she official got the 2 year card?

I'm guessing the latter. We still haven't received anything in the mail. She is also in China for the next 5 weeks making this all the scarier.

Again, I apologize for not researching this myself or for stealing your topic, but I felt it didn't warrant a new topic.

(The interviewer warned that we might not receive anything in the mail, regardless whether we change addresses or not, which we haven't - how responsible!)

Thanks for any quick replies because I do NOT want this to lapse and the dates are getting very urgent. (She arrived in Sept, we were married on Oct. 22, and I forget when we did the AOS interview)

Sorry for the ignorance on this one, but it has been SO long since I have dealt with anything related to immigration.

Is the i-751 the form to convert a 2 year LPR to a 10 year one?

Is it 2 years from the date she arrived, the date we got married, or the day that we went in for our interiew and she official got the 2 year card?

I'm guessing the latter. We still haven't received anything in the mail. She is also in China for the next 5 weeks making this all the scarier.

Again, I apologize for not researching this myself or for stealing your topic, but I felt it didn't warrant a new topic.

(The interviewer warned that we might not receive anything in the mail, regardless whether we change addresses or not, which we haven't - how responsible!)

Thanks for any quick replies because I do NOT want this to lapse and the dates are getting very urgent. (She arrived in Sept, we were married on Oct. 22, and I forget when we did the AOS interview)

Look at the green card for the expiration date. You need to apply for a new 10 year card (yes, using the I-751 form) within the 90 day window prior to this date.

If she should happen to get a biometrics appointment while she's still in China, you can simply re-schedule.

Thanks, Randy. That cleared everything up. The biometric appointment is only necessary if she does NOT make it back before the expiration of the green card, correct? (Because she WILL be back well before the 2-year green card expires.)

Otherwise, I don't remember reading or hearing anything else about a biometric exam.

Thanks, again!

There is a Bio-metric at each stage of immigration, AOS, ROC, even Naturalization, has nothing to do with expiration of green-card, BIO is SOP for USCIS.

Plan on a bio appointment around a month after filing the I-751.

In my wife's case we file the I-751 about 10 days before 2 year card expired, I see all the time people trying to file the thing precisely at 90 days, this is not a requirement, it needs to be filed within the 90 day period prior to expiration.

I would file the thing such that spouse will be back in the USA before a BIO appointment happens, in your case this should work out, your plan was to return to the USA before green-card expires, doing so after would have a problem with leaving China, the Chinese authorities would have an issue seeing an expired card, and no other evidence that would be allowed to re-enter the USA.